Gardens Past

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Tony Page, May 26, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

They may be active but not able to satisfy the demand. There are also beaver fur hats that are used by the natives here and I assume also in Canada. Some of the Canadian fur may also be for export.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As far as I know, the beaver gloves/mittens have been made for centuries.

Tony Page likes this.
  3. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Do you remember any special things that made your success with these Onions? I've had the hardest time for many, many years.
    Never grew one larger than a golf ball!
    I think it's in my blood my first experience with gardening came from my grandmother when I lived in Brooklyn she had a beautiful flower and vegetable garden. My first photo ever taken I must have been about ten was of and Iris flower in her garden which at the time I thought was most unusual flower I had ever seen.
    When we move to Long Island I did a lot of the landscape plants for my parents house.
    Didn't start vegetable gardening till after I was married. I found a picture of one of my Harvest for onions.
    View attachment 46305 [/QUOTE]

4. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

[/QUOTE]

I always make the soil in the bed light, I like to mix peat moss or compost with a little sand, and organic fertilizer like plantone. I plant the onions touching each other, after about 4-6 weeks I will pull every other onion out to use as a spring onion, let the remainder grow to full maturity. If you have clay soil you really have to work in compost or peat moss, or make a raised bed.
    I forgot you have to make sure he get onions for your area. There are onions that can be grown in the South, the Northeast etc.. I get my onions from a reputable Onion Farm.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  5. Joe Smith

Registered

I always make the soil in the bed light, I like to mix peat moss or compost with a little sand, and organic fertilizer like plantone. I plant the onions touching each other, after about 4-6 weeks I will pull every other onion out to use as a spring onion, let the remainder grow to full maturity. If you have clay soil you really have to work in compost or peat moss, or make a raised bed.
    I forgot you have to make sure he get onions for your area. There are onions that can be grown in the South, the Northeast etc.. I get my onions from a reputable Onion Farm.[/QUOTE]

Did you start seeds, use sets or seedlings to start out? Just asking.

6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Did you start seeds, use sets or seedlings to start out? Just asking.[/QUOTE]
    Sets or plants
    Try Dixondale onion farms

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  7. Joe Smith

Registered

All three at different intervals, mostly sets. Same outcome! Dixondale onion farms?

8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes dixondale Farms they sell field grown onion plants I've had a lot of success with.
    Request a catalog it's very informative.
    https://www.dixondalefarms.com
    Dixondale Farms

Joe Smith likes this.
  9. Joe Smith

Registered

Done. Thanks!....off to get me some Peat.

Tony Page likes this.