Fund Raising?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ever done a Fund Raising Event for something that is very special to you?

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

As a Brownie Leader I helped my girls raise money for a special thing we wanted to do... it's so long ago I don't even remember what it was for.

Other than that I've only donated to special Fund raisers!

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was on the board of a couple of non-profits for 7-8 years. I've helped with fund raisers, but for most people that task feels like being a salesperson...few of us really want to do it. I don't.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No, but I was annoyed raising 5 kids who always had those cheesy Christmas wrapping paper fund raisers from school. I used to tell them to just take the money; I had enough gift wrap for the rest of my life.

5. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Approx 20 years ago, I was on the board of the local ALS chapter, and was involved in fund raising. The ALS Walk to Defeat was a major event for us

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, now what this thread is about:

I'm on Facebook, with my birthday coming up. Facebook wanted to know if I wanted to do a Birthday Fund Raiser, instead of getting gifts, of which I've never got anyway, for an organization of my choice that is on Facebook. It shows the max for the Fund Raiser would be $200. The money raised would go directly to the organization.

Thing is, my wife doesn't trust where the money will go and, if I wanted to send some money directly to an organization that we both like/know, I could do that.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

*sigh*

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have seen that all of the time on facebook, most with zero donations, and I don’t know why people think that someone who doesn’t send them gifts or acknowledge their birthday with money, is going to donate to their birthday for some cause.
    As you stated, people can donate to the charity of their choice without it going through facebook. If I want to send a friend/relative something for their birthday, I am going to send them something that i think they will like and not just donate to some charity.
    Let us know how it works out, @Cody Fousnaugh .

9. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh , I've given to a number of donation campaigns friends have started on FB. I never would have even sent a card to those folks, but I know them well enough as professional colleagues to know they are trustworthy and have done their homework in selecting where the money will go. And still, before donating, I check out the organization, make sure they are legit 501(c)3s, and are doing something I am aligned with. And I don't know how much of an admin fee if any FB takes.

I've never started one myself, but I think there is a subtle shaming factor in creating a donation campaign on FB. You can keep donations private from most of the online world EXCEPT for the person starting the donation. So there is the suggestion that if you donate you like them well enough to do something on their behalf / because they asked, and if you don't, there's the implication that maybe you're a cheapskate or something. I don't like that kind of emotional blackmail, so I don't like putting people in that position.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.