Fun Costs!

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Our boat is in for repair, and a fairly costly one at that. But, we enjoy being on it, just like other folks enjoy traveling in their motorhomes, spending money on Cruises, going on a hunting or fishing trip or going on a European or South American trip. One thing for sure, and we've talked to Seniors that own/travel with motorhomes..........maintenance and/or repairs aren't cheap.

Like the Thread title says...........Fun Costs!

So, what do you do for fun that costs and, can sometimes cost more than you'd like it to?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I like traveling and that costs but so far I've been lucky to have my trips paid for. That includes airfare, hotel and meals and any tours.

Before my husband died, I paid for my or our trips.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

"Paid for"........everything. You know how many of us members would like to know who you know?
    My wife has a girlfriend in So Calif that her friends generally pay for her travel expenses when she goes with them. All we can say is, "must be nice to have friends (rich?) that will do that!"
    My BIL won't go anywhere to see family unless they help with his expenses. The family doesn't have that kind of money, so nobody sees him. And, he doesn't like taking time off of work or having any of us visit him. All I can say to that is, "oh well".

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ive already mentioned it numerous times on here, Cody. Mostly my kids pay for everything.

Also, if I visit family whoever I visit pays ...they're all better off than I am and I'm the only widow.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

You do get Widow Benefits. There are a lot of Seniors that don't get that "financial privilege" from their kids, if they have kids, or from family.
    You are lucky!

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I know I'm lucky. But I also invested many years into raising kids I would be proud of. Thankfully they turned out great. It was a joint effort. Education was very important and that was also stressed by my parents. Also good morals.

They weren't privileged growing up so it can be done. We were a middle class family. They had huge college loans to pay off but they did it. They chose careers that paid well from the start...dentists.

Yes, I do get widows benefits so that makes me the poorest sibling in the family. All are married and have husbands that make a very good income. They all have degrees but my sister chose not to work even though she has a masters in math and a minor in physics.

The other sister worked for awhile but quit a few years ago to spend time with her kids. She has a PhD. Her husband is the doctor.

My brother always worked or went to school. He also has a PhD and he's been a university prof. Most of his career. Now he has tenure and is head of the math/physics dept. A position he's not happy with, he loved teaching.

He'll be retiring soon though. I'm the oldest.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, then..........."fun costs" for some of us. How's that.:)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

If my wife wasn't getting her monthly SS, along with her job salary, we'd most likely have to put our boat into the "Boat Graveyard" (LOL, but true). We thank God that our tickets to next years Star Wars Convention (one day of it) is already paid for. Paid for that day before we got the boat repair estimate. Yep, big/major Star Wars fans and Halloween is coming up.......oh boy!

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Lol, good. Yes, fun costs and in the end everything really costs. You put in the time somewhere unless you are born rich.

We weren't. Everybody I mentioned worked hard for what they have, believe me.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

At least for now you still get to do what you enjoy so be glad. There are also people that have the money but have physical limitations so enjoy while you can.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I Just want to say that no-one on a forum regardless of how much or little they spend on anything should be made to feel uncomfortable or to justify why or how they can afford anything unless they are happy to discuss it..

For example Cody, you are entitled to have a boat... you could have a huge Yacht and it would be no-one's business how you can afford it unless you're happy to make it public ..and you do not have to justify owning a boat by comparing the fact that other people have expensive hobbies too....even if they didn't, you're entitled to have what you have to enjoy , as long as you've worked and paid for it, you don't have to justify a reason for having it, the mere fact you have worked for what you have, and enjoy it, is reason enough.

The same goes for Chrissy, she has children who are financially much better off than their widowed mum and children who are looking after their widowed mother in the best possible way they can after she raised them, educated them and cared for them all their lives...no need for her to justify why she has what she has....

We all are of an age where we've worked for way more than 40 years...The Majority of us worked very hard for what we have and were able to earn enough to have *toys* of varying degrees...

My whole point of this is just to say..never judge a person by what material things they own, that's their business...but more importantly never judge yourself, or think any less of yourself, for having less or more than your neighbour.. and never ever feel you have to justify to anyone why you have what you have , regardless of how much or little that may be!!

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

You've got this right!

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, I agree with this, but, at the same time somewhat disagree with it. As for me, I have one of those "inquiring/wondering" minds. Some people don't like "inquiring minds" at all. For those types, they can simply ignore certain Threads and or Comments on any forum they are on. I just ask questions and make statements. When I have an opinion about something, I state it.

Some say "judging others is wrong", whereas if people didn't "judge", the could accept the wrong type of people into their life. Actually, I think, in some way or another, all of us judge others.

All I was saying about Chrissy is....it must be nice to have people financially help out. She didn't have to explain anything to me, that was her choice to do. Bottom line is, some people would be darn jealous of it. Fun costs, but when a person doesn't have to pay fun things, it is nice. I'm not criticizing her, just stating a fact of how nice it is and how some wish they had her financial situation.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I'm fortunate Cody but I give back in other ways that aren't financial. We are a close family and we always help each other and always have.

A few years ago my sister in Colorado invested in a fast food Burrito place and it was a disaster but I flew out there (she paid my way) and I worked there for free for about a month to help her out.

I don't know who is ahead in what we've done for each other because we don't keep track. This is the way my entire family is.

I could have kids that are rich and don't help me but thankfully I don't. I never have to ask and I don't, it's always offered. In fact my daughter just paid for the $5,000 AC unit I had installed last week.

15. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We are not fond of boats because traversing the deep waters scares me. There was a time that we checked on a cruise but it did not appeal to us.

But I agree with your "fun costs" that you spend on for luxury. Our fun costs is traveling and we are enjoying trips not only abroad but also local trips. In fact, we are leaving tonight for the province where we had been 2 weeks ago. My sister had made plans for the long weekend, Monday is a holiday, and she wanted me and my husband to go with them for an overnight in a resort. But unlike the last time when we took the plane, this time we are taking the bus which is much cheaper although we have to endure the 8-hour trip.