From A Wide Spot In The Road

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

this post is the most captivating thing i 've ever read

Bill Boggs likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I want to say thank you, @Teresa Levitt, but not sure what for. What post? Anyway thank you for coming down here
    in the cellar or at least
    the lower part of the forum which I refer to as the cellar and reading. This is my journal or diary and I write whatever
    comes to mind which is most often boring and senseless, but nevertheless it is a place for me to ramble, so welcome.

3. Bill Boggs

Registered

Okay, ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps, cross eyed mesquites and bow-legged ants,
    I come before to declare I have tried the "Night Before Oats." They are easier to fix, according
    to my wife who is trying to spend less time in the kitchen, but they are also delicious. We did
    put a little too much milk in the over night oats. We used a half cup oats to one cup milk (my
    wife used half & half). If you prefer a cold breakfast they are not bad but we warmed up the
    over nighters. Very good. I drank out of the bowl the excess milk and didn't use any sweetener
    because they werevalready a little sweet, probably because of the half & half. At any rate,
    we are going to continue using the over night method. Going to use milk next time and a half
    cup of milk to a half cup of oats and see what happens. I did add a few bleberries. It was good.

It will be a little while before I try the steel cut oats but when I doo I'll pass along what information
    i glean fro the experiment.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Um do you keep that in the refrigerator or what?

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

your writing encourages younger .....older folk...
    like me.............
    have the courage to see it thru...that stuff

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Marci Miller, Yes, make it the night before and refrig over night or it will keep for up to five days in the refrigerator or so I read.

Marci Miller and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Registered

My son stopped by awhile ago. I was in the computer room playing my harmonica. I heard him tell his mother he smelled gas in the house
    when he walked in the door and went in the kitchen and the gas was on one burner. Ofcoure he cut it off but when I left the comnouter room
    I smelled gas. My wife can't smell anything and she can't see. She was cleaning the knobs on the stove and accidentally turn the burner on.
    It did not light and the gas was pretty heavy in the rest of the house. I'm glad he cae along, otherwise...

Joe Riley and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Bill Boggs

Registered

My grandson just got in from Potenza, Italy. He will spend a few days here then he and my son
    will drive to Madison where he will live for two years while he works on a Masters degree. I don’t
    know whether my son will drive his car or rent a van. I expect they will leave probably early next week.
    There is no good reason to reveal this information except I was thinking about it and wondering ifhe would have to fly home if he rents a van. If he-don’t, it is a two days drive back.

Marci Miller and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Registered

I was just informed dinner tonight would be a boloney sandwich or dry cereal.
    I can remember in my earlier years getting a pound of boloney and a loaf
    of fresh bread and an onion, and thinking it was better than a Christmas dinner.

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Bill, are you familiar with Charlie McCoy? He started out as a session musician. I like his songs. Straightforward. Sticks to the melody. Maybe I like them because I never had the the imagination or talent to improvise. Who knows.

The latest song we were discussing. What do you think?

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs , I just bought a western titled, "Preacher, the first mountain man book" for my Kindle. It's by William W. Johnston. Like I told you, I enjoy every kind of fiction if it has a good story. I remember that a lot of my male patrons liked his books so I ordered this one. Have you read it? I have only read the first few lines but it looks like it may be a good one.

Joe Riley likes this.
  12. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Shirley Martin, No, I have only read one of his Preacher books but have read most if not all ofhis other series. He wrote some good stories. I may get that that for my own reading. You’ll notice his niece is writing under his name now as J.AJohnston. Let me know if you like the book.

If you can, make the next western you buy, "Shane."

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Joe Riley likes this.
  13. Bill Boggs

Registered

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Nancy Hart likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

The song What a Wonderful World .has to be the easiest pop song ever for a beginner. No sharps or flats (no bends or overblows). You sort of ease up and down the scale. I can actually hit all the notes. Plus I never get tired of hearing it.

So... What I'm going to do is try to reproduce the sounds Charlie McCoy makes. Maybe that will give me some idea what to try for. Maybe some of his talent will rub off (in my dreams).

Refresher about Harvest Moon:
    No matter what key you play it in, the full song requires at least one bend or overblow. Only that little segment Neil Young does in his recording doesn't. So I'll put that one on the back burner for now.

15. Bill Boggs

Registered

Go for it. I'm having a little trouble playing draw notes because of breathing difficulties. I threw thre harmonicas away instead iof trying to clean or repair them. I haven't had the patience
    nor the incentive. Actually I have not plaued anything for a while. I'm ging to put harmonica on the back burner. I think you are doing very well. You do have talent.