From A Wide Spot In The Road

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

What are you good at? Many have developed a knack for something useful, like woodworking, machine tool working, or good at fixing up things lika a handy man,
    men who make their wives proud. I've been trying to think of something I was good at but nothing comes to
    mind. Of course I'm too old to think of such things anymore except I do. Somebody once told me I was a good man. But then they didn't know me. I, we used to stop at old cemetaries when traveling. We'd read the markers at graves and the saying carved in to them. My wife once asked what I'd like on my stone if I had one and after thinking a moment, I said, Here lies a good man or he was a good man, something of that nature. I still wish that could be said of me but atlas (an old word indeed not much used anymore) it is much to late for such a marker. I have gone and goofed up way too many times. have hurt people. I don't know whether a self evaluation does any good or not.

I have heard musicians say they expressed them selves through their music. Behold and Lo. I'm sure it is possible if one is good with music, understands it well and writes music and put words to it, prhaps they can
    express themselves. Come to think of it I expect many occupations provide many examples for humanity to
    express themselves, not only musicians. I think some of us are skipped over, have few redeeming graces
    or are not intelligent or competent enough to express any excellence. Yet express ourselves in the opposite
    direction or manner by doing things poorly. But like I said too late for me to worry now. For I can read the signs from here where I sit. Ancesters to the left, New births to the right. The rain continues.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Hedi Mitchell and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Registered

Got To Bathe.

I've got to bathe today. A shower. What a hassle. Getting into and out of the tub where I have a chair with a shower mat.
    At least one leg, preferably two needs to to be on the mat to keep the chairfrom sliding. If I don't hve my feet
    or at least one foot on the mat my foot wants to slip. Have not fallen but come close. Keep the shower head
    in hand or close by so I can soap down then inse off., Still I get breathless. I may need two mats. I don't
    know but whatever, I'll get a shower after a while. I guess it is better than being in a zoo where people bring
    their children on Sunday to stare.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Registered

Not that it makes any difference to anyone, I still want to tell you. Maybe it will be the only trhing you will remember me by if
    I'm remembered at all. This flower is the first photo taken when I moved from God's country to Oklahoma. It was growing
    wild near the back fence and the wild was whirling wildly. I snapped the shutter on its outward swing with the wind. And when I
    lookled at it, I thought, not bad old man.
    55AF7DC9-7B22-4CFC-AA62-3791BE34EE9E_1_105_c.jpeg
    Beautify is in the eyes of the beholder. I love this shot because of the conditions when I took it. The rain has stopped.

4. Bill Boggs

Registered

No, getting a clear note take practice. It is blowing into the hole while sealing it off from the notes on either side. No one can get a clear note at first. Practice it once in a while. Don''t work hard at it. Playing a musical instrument takes time to do any of it right. Practice but don't get frustrated. Supposed to be fun and it can not be learned over night. Some day you will look back on this and it will be funny.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Bill, do you remember Johnny Puleo and his Harmonica Gang? They appeared on a lot of TV variety shows in the 50's and 60's. Slapstick comedy was their specialty. I don't know if they were any good at harmonicas or not. I think they probably were, but what do I know.

@Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Registered

They were were good enough to put on a good comedy show using those harmonicas. No I didn't remember them but watched your video and it was funny(to me)
    and they were good to do what they did. I suspect they were very good. Harmonicas were different in those days, easier to play. Harmonica have changed several times over the years (the tuning has) and now in the last few years for the first time they are being aching tuned and tuned to play with more instruments. Thanks for sharing the video.

7. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Nancy Hart, That aching above is supposed to be "machined" tuned.

Back in the days these videos were made or these guys were running around entertaining people, harmonicas were much different and much easier
    to play than today. Harmonicas have undergone numerous changes in tuning in addition to using SS cover plates and plastic combs. And most harps
    today are machined tuned instead of hiring girls off the street to tune harmonica as was done until rather recently. All of which changes the interaction with the brass reeds thus changing the sound
    a harmonica puts out.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Bill Boggs

Registered

Storms again tonight across north texas and oklahoma. .I hope we don’t get any hail again.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Registered

Okay, talking too much not saying anything. Going to leave it to those who can.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you are assuming we don't understand and/or can't relate and/or aren't interested, you forget who we are ;)

Shirley Martin and Faye Fox like this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Registered

12. Bill Boggs

Registered

There are road blocks up around Wide Spot In The Road. Wide Spot is closed for repairs or perhaps it will be abandoned. There’s little traffic. The main highway runs east and west and now detours around the small

community which is located out in the middle of nowhere Many former business are boarded up. The access roads are blocked off.Some have been torn down and several houses have been moved away. The population sign has been removed by the highway department.

The only building in a good state of repair is an old music store whose owners have moved away to the city and opened new, larger businesses.

Wide ‘Spot now has a population of one. The front two thirds consist of empty cases, glass and wooden, filled with dust now, except for a few old instruction books and a few empty harmonicas cases. He does have a few boxes of guitar strings. The walls where once hung guitars mostly are bare. It looks ready to be demolished. But hold on. The lone occupant has plans. On the front of his shop he has placed a neatly painted sign: CLOSED FOR REPAIRS.

Occasionally someone will stop by and asked if he has any instruments
    for sale. No he doesn’t. He only has advise and that’s free. If you’re out this way, stop by and say, howdy. He keeps the coffee pot on.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Bill, I wasn't going to say anything until after it arrived, but "they" claimed Lee Oskar was arriving today before 9 pm. I've never seen USPS deliver after 6 pm. Anyway, you better not close up shop until at least after tomorrow. I may need some of those dusty instruction books.

Bill Boggs and John Brunner like this.
  14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I never turn down free advice or free coffee. "course, that's just me, you know. :)

Jim Brown and Bill Boggs like this.
  15. Bill Boggs

Registered

After you get it and look it over and play with it some, gently blow in and draw out on each of the ten hole, listen to the sound. Important, move the harp, not you mouth. As you explore the harp, try to blow with with your stomach, your diaphragm. When this is learned, your breathing problems are almost solved. Pucker, hole four through seven, blow in and out on the first three holes, it will sing. Then walk up the harp blowing two or three notes-at a time. Blow ya ya ya, up and down the harp.
    Draw na na na or yayaya up and down the harp. Yayaya Up and down the harp. Try blowing yayaya to ms
    ary had a little lamb or something simple you know and like.

I posted earlier somewhere above on here a couple of sites.. I have more but don’t want to rush you. I am delighted for you. Again, my knowledge is limited but I will try to help and answer your questions. Learning is not easy. The name of the game is learn a little something and practice what you’ve learned. Practice different things you learn or read about. You will make the harmonica sing. We’ll discuss what you’ve learned and what you think. Get started soon. Have fun. @Nancy Hart[ /USER].

Bill. Remember, you play a harmonica in and out, up and down, in a see-saw fashion, back and forth, then play music on hole four through seven as in mary had a little lamb.

Don't know how the blue change in color got in there. I'm not emphasizing anything.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    Nancy Hart and Jim Brown like this.