Tidbits Of Information

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Steve North, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Little tidbits, eh? Gotta think about this awhile. Let's see.....

A magazine article appearing in Hot Rod Magazine described the writer asking Rolls Royce Engineers in England, which manufacturer of vehicles used the highest quality iron in their engines. He expected Rolls Royce, of course! One guy piped up immediately with, "We have determined that Ford Motor Company utilizes the best iron in the industry today!"

Wonder if the guy suffered any consequences.......

Frank

3. Steve North

Registered

Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 7:02 PM - Warm temperatures in Wisconsin's upper atmosphere recently created a stagnant air mass that trapped hot air and toxic manure fumes over a farm, leaving a 29-year-old farmer and 13 of his cows dead.

The incident occurred at Biadasz Farm near Amherst.

Michael Biadasz was found dead Monday by workers who had arrived to remove manure from a tank on the property.

Coroner Scott Rifleman told the Associated Press he was "overcome" by methane or sulfur oxide present in the manure

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Oooer - poor man

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

To keep a pc in good running condition, get your anti-virus updates daily and once a week run your anti-virus scan, disk cleanup and defrag. Also, watch very carefully what you download from the Internet. The Norton Anti-Virus we have lets us know immediately if it is safe or unsafe to download something. If it say "unsafe" I immediately stop the entire thing of downloading.

Another thing: to keep a pc tower, monitor/screen and keyboard clean from dust, buy a plastic cover for each. Up until now, we didn't do this, but now we do.

6. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I have Kaspersky. It is very good about warning me anput possible viruses before downloading from the internet. If it gives me a warning, I don't download either.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  7. Steve North

Registered

I also have Kapersky and so far, so good..

8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Sounds Polish, but it's Russian, and evidently those "Soviet-Bloc" areas not enjoy anonymity with regard to their individuals' freedoms. Or, do they?........

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a Mac. I don't need no stinking antivirus.

10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

MacIntosh is impervious to viruses? Not facetious, OK, just have no idea what differences lie between the two (Windows).

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not impervious, but very few viruses are written for Macs, and a Mac won't install anything without your permission, including a password, so about the only way you can get one is if you are deceived into giving them permission. Sometimes on a web site, a box will pop up telling me that my Flash is out of date or Java is out of date, and prompting me to download an update. These may be attempts to fool me into installing a virus. So instead, I'll go directly to Macromedia or Oracle, and download it from there. When I do that, sometimes I find that my Flash or my Java are not out of date, hence the web site that prompted me to download it probably was a trick to get me to install a virus or some other nasty.

They do make antivirus software for Mac, but the Apple technicians say they usually cause more problems than they solve, and that it's best to simply not install something unless you know what it is than to depend on an antivirus software to keep you safe.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson I need to learn more about the Mac's system, how it operates, what differences there are, how much new "familiarity" must be gained to use it. Took me a number of years to get where I am with Winderz, and I'm still lost half the time!

Frank

13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This just in - a new app for the smart phone that is a pretender to the throne of Skype. Download and install Google Duo to experience the video call which uses only the phone number. I have already downloaded it but still have to test.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

The Health Dept. on Oahu has determined that raw scallops are the culprits to Hep A that hit mainly Oahu and Kauai these past few months that sickened over 100 people.

At our home we love and wait for sales of poke a fresh and raw ahi dish. We like either Marukai or Don Quiote supermarkets for sales on ahi poke or you can make your own:

Chrissy Cross and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Steve North

Registered