First Snow

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Well, we had our first snow of the season this morning. It's all gone now, since it turned to rain before noon, but it was snowing pretty hard when I got up.

2. Jackie Stewart

Jackie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi there.
    I'm from northern BC.
    We normally have snow on the ground by now, but this year it's been a lot milder so far.
    (Temps have been 5-7 degrees warmer than normal for October.)
    Instead we have rain. Lots and lots of rain.
    Kind of missing that white stuff! :)

Magalina Lilis and Lara Moss like this.
  3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Hello @Jackie Stewart, glad to meet you. I'm Ina, and I'm from North of Houston, Tx. This week we had tempatures up into the 90's, and I'm looking forward to cooler temps as well, although we seldom see snow around here, and then two inches is cause to shut down most of the city. :(:rolleyes:

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Hello, Jackie, and welcome to the forum! I am Jim, from Pennsylvania. We haven't had snow yet. Let's keep it that way!;)

5. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Jackie. I'm Ike from Iowa. Iowa Ike. I'm not shouting. I use the darker print because of failing vision. Have a good day.

6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

It has been a little colder than normal here, we may have our first frost this weekend I hope not. I am not ready for the cold weather yet.

7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Our days have gone from the low nineties to mid seventies. I'm looking forward to some cooler weather but not necessarily snow.I'm surprised we haven't seen more snow up in the Plains States near the Canadian border or over in Minnesota.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We haven't had any precipitation in Arkansas for nearly a month. We need rain, not snow. We still have some crops to harvest from the garden.

9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't seen snow since around 2007, and wouldn't mind a little. It rarely snows here (I'm south of @Ina I. Wonder), but I always appreciate seeing it when it does. One interesting thing I saw recently is that some school systems are considering switching from snow days to e-days. I guess that means they'll put the lessons online, and expect the kids to complete and submit them, so no more free days, due to severe weather.

10. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, I saw the report on the news last night of your snow and thought of you because I knew you were in Maine. Stay warm. We're having our first freezing temps tonight but then will warm up for the rest of the week with lots of sunshine here in NC.

11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember snow that four letter word and glad I moved to the Dominican Republic. I can always climb into the freezer if I get home sick. X Canadian

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I loved winter when I was a kid. I remember one day we had a heavy snowfall. That night the sky cleared and it got very cold. Morning came and that meant a long, cold walk to school, through deep snow. We got to school, only to be sent back home because the school boilers were broke down.
    This was in the 1940's. Lots of kids walked to and from school then and schools didn't phone families to warn them. No TV's then. And yet, we survived.

My family had a coal furnace, as did many then. There was a big grate in the living room floor that heat came up from the furnace in the basement. It really felt good to come in from the frigid outdoors and stand over the grate until the feeling came back in your toes and legs. We had coal heat into the early 1950's. When dad built our house he put in a coal furnace. Sometime in the 1950's he converted it to gas, and later bought a new gas furnace.

People claim, and I believe it, that coal, wood or steam heat is a better quality of heat.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I grew up in north Idaho, and we always had a lot of snow; but when you are a kid and enjoy making snow forts and snow men, it is not a bad thing.
    I would help my dad when we had a couple feet of snow on the ground (usually in November sometime), and we would take the snowshovels and shovel snow up around the base of the house to help insulate the underneath of the house from the cold.
    Later, when the snow was deeper, and piling up on the roof, my mom and dad would take a long rope and throw it over the roof of the house, and then "saw" from front to back to loosen the snow from the roof. Then, my dad had a long piece of 2x4 with a board nailed crossways on the end, and he would put that up to the roof as far as he could reach, and then pull the snow off of the roof with the board.
    He had to do that whenever we had a lot of snowfall. This created piles of snow alongside of the house which almost covered our windows; so we could barely see out.
    However, we could not really see out anyway, because my mom and dad always tacked up that clear plastic sheeting over all of the windows in late fall.

Even so, I always had frost all over the inside of my bedroom windows every morning, and I could see my breath, even in the house.
    Our heat was an old oil stove, and we had to keep it on low, or it would rumble and shake the stove, and sometimes blow the top off.
    I was terrified when it did that.
    Mom was also terrified when it did that, and she would grab me and run outside into the snow, and warn me that the house might blow up at any second; so we had to get away.
    Poor Daddy !
    He was left inside to deal with the raging and rumbling oil stove. He had to turn off the little lever that let the oil come in, and then we all waited outside until the stove burned all of the oil out and the fire went out.

By then, of course, the house was freezing, and then my dad had to try and get the stove re-lit again, and running properly.
    Since none of us enjoyed having the stove threatening to explode; we kept the stove on low, and the only warm place in the whole house was right in front of the stove.
    This is actually where we all spent most of the winter, and often even ate our dinner huddled in front of the stove.

Here is a picture of what our highways looked like in the winter.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  14. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember going to school pulling a wagon through the snow taking by friend who had polio and had trouble waking and later in life getting stuck in snow drifts bring my mother home from work. Having to drag my mother three miles through the snow to get home because she wanted to stop and rest and I told her it was so cold if she stopped she would not start again. When I remember the good and the bad I am glad I am here.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

[​IMG]
    We've had snow in Millinocket a few times now this year, but nothing has stayed on the ground long. We're looking okay for the next few days. Things are a bit cooler up north, where our land is, though.

[​IMG]

Ike Willis likes this.