Doing My First Repainting Furniture Project

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Denise Evans, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

and I do mean my first. I have a second-hand headboard/bookcase that is just fake wood. I think it's laminate. Anyway, I bought some, flat, white paint. Just finished covering it with that. Next I'll ad some color, but I haven't decided on flat or gloss (semi if I do gloss). I like the look of some things I see online which I'll post a pic of one of those. Then, I'll post a pic of the headboard I'm working on. Remember, I am just learning about all this, but I am having some fun with it. I want my place to really be filled with "my" ideas, no matter how weird it may turn out, LOL!

Hmm, after looking at some photos, I've changed my mind. I want the color to look solid, so I did paint white over the brown, and may even add one, more coat of that. Then, my final color. Not sure what that will be yet, but I am thinking a green. We'll see;) Here's a couple photos of colors I like, then my ugly-so-far, headboard;)

blue.jpg green.jpg

and here's what I am going to transform, me hopes;) into something pretty:)

old headboard.jpg

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I REALLY like your idea, Denise, and that kind of thing is "in vogue" again, it seems. Furniture seems to go in styles where it is being painted, and then the next one, it is all looking natural wood look again.
    I remember the old dressers that had been painted white, way back when I was a kid, and by then, the painted look was old, and people were buying them and removing the paint, and finding the old wood grain underneath again.
    One of the things that they are doing now (and I do not like the look of) is painting them, like the ones in your picture, and then distressing them by scraping parts of the paint off; so they look like they were painted 50 years ago, and the paint has worn and chipped away.
    Those were the ugly kind of ancient dressers that sold for a few dollars back when I was raising my kids, and that was all we could afford back then. No way would I EVER pay to have a dresser that looks like that again, even if it is the height of fashion now.
    Robin and @Bobby Cole like the old barn wood look, too; and I hate that for the same reason. I guess when you lived with that look because it was all you could afford, it is hard to see it as pretty after that.

I do like the painted look though, like the dressers that you show the pictures of, and I have seen some like that and they had soft pictures painted on them that look faded out, and I really like those, too.
    Keep us updated with how your project goes, @Denise Happyfeet ! !

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh I sooooo agree with you @Yvonne Smith ..I absolutely hate the ''shabby Chic'' look....to me it just looks downright SHABBY...errrk!!

4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Denise, if you're painting over laminate, it helps to make the surface "grabbier" by lightly sanding the surface with light grade sandpaper. Then, wipe the dust off well.
    I found this to work well. Oh, BTW I love the Green!

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Agree with Ruby on the green, Denise.

6. Ruby Begonia

Registered

7. Denise Evans

Registered

I'll keep you all posted, I do like the solid, semi or gloss look best. Green is my fave color, but I am hoping it won't be something I'll tire of seeing everyday;) On the sanding Ruby, I can't really do that here, not without really making a mess. But in the future, I may try it on another piece, maybe a smaller piece. I have a small end-table I could probably sand and not make too big a mess;)

Thanks all, like I said, I'll keep you posted on my progress.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Denise Happyfeet , so you have a twin bed and it's going to fit under the shelf? That's a useful headboard!

9. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes, I went with a twin-size because it gave me more room, and, I was used to sleeping in one;) The headboard doesn't attach, and I do need a frame for the mattress/boxspring, lol;) I'll get that eventually;) My apartment is 541 sq. ft. is all;) I like it because I have been traveling light over the past 20 years or so, and I gave up enough to fill a big house I used to live in;) So now, I just don't want to accumulate a whole lot, just what I need, and I also saved my little, nic-nacs, photos, personal things to make my apt. a homey one;)

I do like the bookcase above my head, easy to reach etc.;)

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't have a problem sleeping in a twin bed either, mine's a queen but I stay in the same spot,just turn from side to side.

Ruby Begonia and Denise Evans like this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

Exactly the same as me cc, I get sore if I lie on either side too long, so I just eventually learned to sleep mostly on my back. In one place;) That's a good reason I had forgot about, in choosing the size of a bed here;)

12. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes Denise as @Ruby Begonia said sanding the surface of laminate is best, or at least cleaning the surface with sugar soap or white spirit, to make sure there are no greasy areas etc., from handling.
    There are also special primer/undercoats for laminates these days, at least in the UK there are.
    I have painted lots of furniture and kitchen units with satin finish which looks best in my opinion, it does tend to scratch more easily so you have to be a bit more careful handling it. I will see if I can find any pics.

13. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

This my daughter Caroline's bedroom which I did a couple of years ago, it was a mixture of laminate and wood, but it modernised the look of the room, and is wearing well.

7.JPG

A spare bedroom I did a few years ago
    1.JPG

3.JPG

This is Caroline's kitchen which I did 5 years ago and the paint has worn well.

6.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  14. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I love white cabinets.

Denise Evans likes this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

@Terry Page , I never saw your posts with the pics!! How lovely!! Thank you for sharing, and could you come and help me, LOL!!!

Terry Page likes this.