Does Anyone Like Instrumental Guitar?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Faye Fox, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Impressive, Faye. My preference leans to Stevie Ray Vaughan. :D

My sons are musically talented but they didn't get it from me. One plays acoustic guitar and the other is a drummer. (His teen years were particularly annoying to the family and the neighbors, haha.)

Bess Barber and Faye Fox like this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher
    My parents banned me to an old milking barn that I converted into a she shed before she sheds were popular. Only folk songs and classics were allowed in the house and only on an acoustic played gently.
    He at the top of my list and also his brother Jimmie down in Austin. I play an instrumental acoustic version of his Mary Had A Little Lamb. I need to get it back on my YouTube. His Texas Flood and Mary Had a Little Lamb are among my favorites. Here is the only all solo on acoustic by Stevie Ray that I know of. This is my favorite SRV!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Bess Barber and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My "drummer boy's" bedroom was directly over the kitchen, so many's the day I had to make dinner "to the beat.":eek: HAHA I actually enjoy his drumming; he's quite good. His band made a record but it never went anywhere.

Younger son is very talented with his guitar but he's more of a hobbyist; never really serious about his music.

And anything Stevie Ray is fine by me. I was lucky enough to see him live in Austin several times back in the day.

Bess Barber and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Malaguena is a beautiful, showy Flamenco guitar piece that strangely, is based on just TWO chords: E Major and F Major!

It is this close harmonic spacing, only a Semitone, that makes Maleguena so dramatic!

Hal

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Hal Pollner

Registered

The Chromatic Harmonica lends itself well to the playing of Malaguena, because the tune modulates between the keys of E and F, which are just a Semitone apart.

The Chromatic Harmonica allows this key change just by pushing the slide, shifting the key up or down a Semitone.

All you Musicians out there will understand what I'm talking about.

Hal

Bill Boggs and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Malaguena is in the Phrygian mode. The Phrygian scale: E F G A B C D E. In steps it is: half, whole, whole, whole, half, whole, whole. While the chords E and F are dominate, a typical intro is E-F-G --- E-F-G --- E-F-G-F-E with rasqueado or trill on final E. It is a perfect piece for a chromatic harmonica, guitar, piano, or orchestra. Guys like Carlos Montoya would do long fast rasqueados alternating E and F.

7. Hal Pollner

Registered

Excellent post, Faye!

Did you get your Doctorate from Juilliard, Berklee, or Oberlin?

Hal

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

-. -. --.- .... .- .-.. Naw, those places classical guitar courses were too Segovia for me. Too much discipline and study. I learned from a high pile of vinyl LP's and higher stack of music books. I went through all the Carcassi, Sor, and Tarrega studies and every flamenco, jazz, blues, and contemporary book I could find and afford. I had several thousand invested in LP's, sheet music, and books. Attended a few master classes. I was always the worst player there. I learned a lot of flamenco directly from some of the Gypsy flamencos. I grew up learning music, etc., from my parents and they both had Doctorates in Science. After a struggle, I did earn a trade school diploma in Broadcast Electronics. I graduated High School with a D. Oh, I did graduate piano tuning school but never learned to play piano worth anything. I could hear 4th's 5th's and 3rd's and octaves accurately, which was necessary in those days. This was before electronic tuners. Just an old country dummy here, Hal, no fancy sheepskin on my wall. I detect a bit of sarcasm in your response OM so I will withhold the 88 I was going to sign off with. Maybe next transmission, hi hi!

Hal Pollner likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Registered

Hey Faye.....

Did you really mean you were going to sign off with an "88" for me?

I'm Flattered!:rolleyes:
    with N6CEY on the side...

Faye Fox likes this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner Yes, dear, my fingers were on the 8 key with intention of pushing it twice, but then you blew it with your remate. However your posting my favorite photo of you again as your profile, is really softening my heart. Something about that Australian outback look that might earn you an 88. Only time will tell.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Hal Pollner likes this.
  11. Hal Pollner

Registered

You earned an EXTRA? My Super Congratulations!

The best I could do was a Tech on the 2-Meter Repeater mode.

I could have had you as a close-coupled Inductance in resonance with me.....provided you had the capacitance!

Hal

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Ham radio went to hell many years ago and is boring and meaningless today. Yes, I got my extra the hard way back in 1969 when the FCC gave the test. I let it go when the FCC turned the testing over to the hams in the 80's. Now you don't even have to know code for an extra. Disgusting! It is all about selling that Chinese made junk, so they want to license everyone. An extra used to be like a Doctorate, now it is a like a GED. Oh, I had the capacitance alright, but also the resistance. Before we drift to far off frequency, what kind of music do you play on your guitar? You look like a Bossa Nova man. I used to do some Bossa Nova, but had to let a lot of tunes go to keep up a few at an acceptable level.

13. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

When I was younger, it would've really surprised me to think as I got older, I would rarely have music playing. I really don't know at what point this happened. I have a few pop song favorites, but that isn't REAL music. :D

Faye Fox likes this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth Gallagher and Bess Barber like this.
  15. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I went to YouTube direct and Subscribed. :)
    Why did you disable 'comments'??

Faye Fox likes this.