Do You Have A Go To Place When Temperatures Get To 95+?

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Lon Tanner, May 7, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Fresno is a hot place in the summer and many folks head for the high ground at 5,000/6,000 feet like Yosemite or to Pismo Beach , a two hour drive to either.

Sunny Bonet likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

If at home, turn on the A/C. If on our boat, put up the bimini top and have beer/soda/water in the cooler we take. But, being that we are so close to the foothills leading into Rocky Mountain National Park, we don't get really hot here.

And, the heat and humidity is one of the major reasons we left Jacksonville, FL. and came back to Colorado.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have lived here since 2000 and I don't think I've seen temperatures like that more than a few days in the summer, and not at all during most summers. Usually, the mid to high-80s are the upper limits of our summers. When I lived in Texas, 95+ was routine.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

When we first moved to high heat/high humidity ("humiture") Virginia, we did not have air conditioning. As kids, we headed to the woods, built shelters out of branches with green leaves on them, and dug out hollows in the dirt.

Any shade is usually our best bet, and it generally has the added benefit of being in dirt and not being near the heat-sink of concrete.

I doubt that many people have a place within driving distance where the climate is gonna change.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm in Florida now, but when I lived in the Phoenix area, if the temp dropped down to 95, I just put on a sweater....

6. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

That reminds me of the time we were in Oahu back in the 70s. We went into a store selling leather clothing. I asked the clerk how much of that they sold to locals. She said "a lot" especially when the temperature fell into the seventies.

7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Many Californians have a place in the mountains or the coast.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We live about 40 miles from Galveston and other Gulf beaches, but we don't "head" there very often. It's in the 90's in Houston from March till December so we pretty much run the central a/c year round and get on with our lives.

Don Alaska and Sunny Bonet like this.
  9. John Brunner

Actually, we have that here on the east coast as well.

The beach is no respite from the heat...you're basically on the Sahara Desert. But you do get the breeze.
    The mountains might be a different story, although I've gone there many times for camping trips, but not consciously to escape the heat.

And wherever you in Virginia, you never seem to escape the humidity.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I LIKE 95+ much better than 60 and below. If at any point I get too hot for work then it’s time to jump into the pool or lounge around on the porch with the fan on.

Sunny Bonet and John Brunner like this.
  11. John Brunner

You all (said the southerner) get as much humidity down your way as we do in Virginia, don't you?
    Does your weather guy report on the "humiture"?

I can't take it. I would much rather add an extra layer of clothing that deal with the repressive heat.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yeah, heading into the mountains works; just going into the woods would result in a decrease in temperatures.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I hate the hot humid summers here in Alabama, and even if you get up and go outside before the sun actually comes up, you will have perspiration on your forehead immediately.

I miss the beautiful Idaho summers and all of the clean fresh air out there; but I definitely do NOT miss the 3’+ feet of snow all winter and having to keep the driveway plowed and shovel snow, melt the stock tanks for the horses, and stuff like that.

The Alabama winter is cold and wet, and I still freeze, but it is not slick and icy (for the most part) and if we want to go somewhere, we can.
    If it is icy, then we just stay inside and keep warm.
    I like the longer growing season, too. In Idaho, we could have frost in May, and also in August, so a lot less time to grow a garden successfully .

There is not really any place we could go and get away from the humidity in the hot weather. No mountains here, so we just plan our days to be done with outside stuff as early as possible and stay inside during the heat of the day. When we have the little backyard pool set up, we can go out there and cool down, and that is always nice, too.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I head straight for my thermostat and adjust it to the perfect coolness.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Before I learned to swim in the Mississippi, I learned how to swim in S. Louisiana’s humidity.