Do You Ever Dream You Are Back At Work?

Discussion in 'Dreams & Interpretations' started by Carol Knott, May 6, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been retired a long time and for a long time I have dreamed about my work, about looking for work, i.e. trying to find job because I was unemployed and needed to work. I dreamed about looking for employment last night as decrepted as I am and I found work at a little roadside cafe replacing a waitress who had to be off a few days because of an emergency. Then in my dream I worried about the cafe being over run with customer and all the things that could go wrong. Before I had ever worked a shift I awoke tired. In all my years most of my dreams have been about work. When not dreaming about work I dream about being lost, getting lost, and not being abe to find my way home.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I worked about 40 yrs and a lot of those years I typed and did shorthand as a secretary, remember those people? Well, some times I go back to that life and so glad when I wake up....

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Retiring made the dreams about work stop. I had a recurring nightmare that I came across a letter out of order on my route, I would walk back and deliver it to the correct address, only to have it show up again and again.
    Retirement day, like flipping a switch, no more nightmares no more leg cramps!

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I still dream that I am at work on a job that I haven't done in more than thirty years. Oddly, I have far more dreams of being in a paper bag factory than I do about working as a paramedic. Maybe it was the repetition of the job that secured a place for it in my brain.

5. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Every once in a while I dream of going to the toilet at a particularly unsavory place that I worked at as a contractor in DP systems.

6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I keep dreaming about sales appointments that I make and then worrying about not making the appointment because I can't remember where I parked my car. Really weird because I stopped driving three years ago and sold my car. I have frequent dreams about the car I no longer have.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I can't say that I've dreamed about work. I am having more vivid dreams lately, though. Not sure if they are induced by anxiety over the pandemic or what.

8. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Although I have been retired for many years, yes I have actually dreamed I was working. Not exactly as I was doing when I retired, but working nonetheless. I have on occasion awakened when I have overslept and thought to myself, "I'm going to be late for work." Then reality sets in and I sigh in relief.
    "

9. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been retired for ten years and I still have nightmares about work. Usually it's a situation where lack of planning on someone's part leads to an emergency on my part. Business as usual at my last job.

I wake up and gratefully assure myself that "it's just a dream, it's just a dream!"

10. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes I do, but just to tour the vast plant and its facilities.

Hal

11. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Two recurring dreams relating to work.

1) Wife and I retired from Fed. govt. (which actually happened) and then came back as "rehired annuitants" (which didn't happen but there really is such a system with Uncle Sam). Anyway, as a rehired annuitant, I do nothing but sit at the desk and twiddle my thumbs or take long walks around the complex. And in the dream I feel guilty as hell, but continue to do it anyway. :)

2) In the other one, I need to use the restroom but they're all being cleaned by female cleaning crews. I run all over the HQ complex in a panic looking, looking, looking for an available rest room.:(

Then the dream ends and I suddenly awaken with the very real and urgent need to go to the bathroom.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Steve Pecos

Steve Pecos Active Member
    Registered

I worked for 45 years and frequently dream about it. Most of them are focused on some technical problems that I found interesting. Rarely is one unpleasant and people never seem to appear in them.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

yes...quite often.....walking my mail route...one job
    another job....trying to take care of people....

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've been retired for 7 years and have a work dream maybe every few months of so. When I was employed I'd dream about work all the time.

Few of them are pleasant...most are anxiety-filled.

15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, Just last night, in fact. Probably because of reading this thread. And it's always the same theme.

I'm late for work or don't go at all, or miss a meeting, or am totally unprepared for something, don't know what I'm doing, and figuring I'm going to get fired any minute. These are the things that I was NEVER guilty of. It's a nightmare.

Ken Anderson likes this.