Do You Dream Every Night Or Just Occasionally?

Discussion in 'Dreams & Interpretations' started by Lon Tanner, May 3, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have the most realistic dreams every night. due they tell me because of the meds I take.

Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

me too..absolutely vivid realistic dreams every single night...I have no idea why , but it's very irritating because I don't think my mind is being properly rested so I find I'm forgetting more and more every day...

Lois Winters likes this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Last night I dreamed that I had to go somewhere in my car and went to look for my car. I no longer have a car, license, insurance and gave up driving due to my legs. I started worrying trying to find my I Phone to call Uber.

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Registered

That's the thing as well Lon...I remember the dream vividly when I wake up..... and often all day long!!

My husband rarely dreams , but when he does he can only remember it for about 5 mins after he wakes up....

Frank Sanoica and Ken N Louis like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The experts claim that everyone dreams, although some don’t remember their dreams. I very much enjoy my dreams, even the ones that others might consider nightmares because I feel as if I am not wasting my time sleeping then. Dreams are stories that our brains make up while we’re sleeping. Our most vivid dreams occur during deep (REM) sleep, as that is when our brains are most active while sleeping. Unsurprisingly, the ones we remember are usually the ones we have just before waking up.

The experts are divided as to why we dream. Some claim that there is no purpose to our dreams and that they are simply the nonsensical activities of a sleeping brain. But others insist that dreams are required for our mental and physical health. Some experts claim that our dreams serve to help us solve problems that were unresolved at the time that we went to sleep, that they help us to organize our memories and to process our emotions.

Have you never tried to figure something out, or to remember something, only to awake during the night (or in the morning) with the answer? I have, and apparently, my brain was working on the problem while I was asleep.

I enjoy my dreams, particularly the ones that I have just before getting up in the morning, or, perhaps more often, when I have elected to stay in bed and go back to sleep after first waking up. Often then, I can influence the direction of my dream.

One thing that I have always been able to do sometimes, but more often in recent years, is to simply close my eyes during the day or night, even if I am sitting at my desk, or standing up, and instantly finding myself into what I think of as a half-dream. It’s not like a regular dream, in that there are rarely any people there, but I am in another place.

If you’ve ever played a video game with good graphics, it’s a bit like that. I might be in a forest, and I don’t know what I am going to find there as I walk along, mentally, by keeping my eyes closed to remain in the dream. Or I might be in a strange building or a landscape that appears to be on another planet, in that it’s nothing that I have ever seen on earth. Less often, it’s as if I am being shown something, like a book, but no matter how much I concentrate, I can’t read the words.

Whether these are half-dreams, as I call them, or visions, they are not like the dreams that I have when I am asleep. For one thing, I am as aware of what’s going on around me as I would be at any other time when my eyes are closed, and I can remain standing or even walk while I am there. But I don’t have to physically walk in order to travel through whatever place I am in during the half-dream. Sometimes, often even, it's as if I am flying.

As for regular dreams, though, if you are a sound sleeper, you are less likely to remember your dreams than if you wake up off and on throughout the night. If you set an alarm and the alarm wakes you up in the morning, you are likely to focus on the noise and forget your dream. Rarely, in my lifetime, have I used an alarm.

For one thing, I don’t need them. I can get up within a few minutes of any time that I want to get up as long as there is a clock in the room that I can see from my position in bed. Even without the clock, I can get up pretty close to whenever I want to if I know what time it is when I go to bed. Daylight savings time screws me up for a few days, though.

6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson , I agree with most of you said. I have many times had a problem of some kind, put it on the back burner of my mind, gone to sleep and awakened the next morning with a solution. I read somewhere that we don't use nearly all the capacity of our minds. When our conscious mind is resting, the other part continues to work.

I have fascinating dreams but, at some level, I always know I'm dreaming. One thing I have noticed, though, is that I can never read in my dreams. I have tried many times but can't. It's like my eyes won't focus or the words are blurred or something. Like you, I can set my mind to wake me up at a certain time and wake up at that time.

I haven't done the half dreams, though. Maybe that talent is peculiar to you.:D

Frank Sanoica and Ken Anderson like this.
  7. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I dream every night and love love love them. I take a sleep combo, not drugs, and a new HGH homeopathic gel applied to skin and my dreams are even more.

One that keeps coming up is me walking a lot and even running, this is so interesting as I'm so limited in walking with the arthritic mess I live in. So in my dreams I am going strong in what I don't do now.

8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

When I have vivid dreams:

1. Eat something difficult to digest (complex carbs, fat, protein) just before I go to sleep. Cottage cheese is sure fire dream maker, and almost always unpleasant. :(

2. Sleep in a very cold room. Those dreams are always pleasant.

I first noticed #2 a long time ago, when I was a kid, and we spent a couple of weeks in a cabin in Northern Ontario on a fishing trip.

Other times too but don't remember those longer than 5 minutes.

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I have Cecil B. DeMille, cast-of-thousands, epic movie dreams every time I sleep. Always have. This afternoon, I woke up from a nap in a complete panic because I was walking around in the dark in a strange city, having lost my wallet, and for some reason I was carrying a gun in a paper bag that might be able to be traced to the commission of a serious crime. AND the police were looking for me, so I had to stay in the alleys. And it was raining and I didn't have an umbrella. When I woke up, I had a headache and I was exhausted. Why can't I dream about puppies and kittens?

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Mary Robi Talk about bad dreams! LOL That one is a doozie.

Bess Barber likes this.
  11. Rosie Sinclair

Rosie Sinclair Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I usually go for several days with no dreams, and then have a catch-up night which is one dream after another.

Bess Barber likes this.
  12. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I usually have fun dreams. My favorites is when I know I'm dreaming, think I've been there before and try to do it differently. I think dreams are our minds way of deleting scraps of visual thoughts, much like we defrag our computers / phone. After waking, I try to remember them, just in case they are important from God or something, but usually find it's just odd things in my brain.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Rosie Sinclair

Rosie Sinclair Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

There is sometimes good advice in dreams. It's as though there is a level of our brain which knows things but can only tell us when we're asleep. If you understand that there are symbols in dreams, it helps to interpret them.

For instance, houses represent ourselves, so if you dream about a dilapitated house, it could be a warning that you need to take better care of your health.

Bess Barber likes this.
  14. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

To be honest I don't usually remember whether I've dreamt or not.

15. Holly Saunders

Registered

That's my night EVERY night!!! :(