Do Some People Think You Are Rich?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, some people think I am. Because I make more money then them. I have actually been harassed for this on and off the job. Rich hardly. And with no pension, worried about retirement and how much longer I can do this demanding job.

It's all relative. I was probably happier when I was younger, broke but too dumb too worry about the future and pesty things like that!

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My grade school, jr. high and high school years were made up of the basics (roof over my head, food and descent health), however I was jealous because I my cousins had much more than I did as well as my school mates. Because I didn't have ambition enough to continue college, my employment salaries were pretty low. During most of my adult years, before meeting my wife, I really had to splurge to get something new. The highest salary I ever made didn't come until I was 52. To me, that's pretty embarrassing!! My wife was the smart one with getting a college education to get a nice salary.

We live a comfortable lifestyle, but would love a little more. Newer boat and vehicles, a mortgage-free house or cottage by a lake and so on, would be nice......but isn't going to happen.

And, BTW, there are some very nice salaried positions that are 9-5, no travel or overtime and weekends off. That's what my wife has.
    Then there are those lives of OTR truckers, traveling sales people and other occupations that are long hours, travel and so on that can really hurt some families. The salary is great, but "family time" is very limited.

3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll never be as rich as I was when my family was living.

Last night I awoke from a dream in a full blown panic attack, in my dream I couldn't find my little dog Izzy, and I was trying to offer every thing I owned just to get him back.

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

So right. When it comes down to it - love really is 'all' that matters and it will get you through the rough times, which we all have
    You have your priorities right Ina, the culture of today............ well, they will learn that :)

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not to change my Thread, but I think sometimes us older folks (some don't like that word "Seniors"), complain too much about the "cultures of today". Thing is, no matter how things are looked at today, money plays a major part in everything. Yes, the word "love" should be there, but love and money definitely can go together. We know a couple, in our age bracket, that use to do a lot of things together when he worked a full-time job.........key word "income". He has a nice pension and SS, but his pension isn't what his income use to be. His wife is somewhat unhappy, because the money isn't there like it use to be to live the active/entertaining life they use to. They've been married since the mid 70's.

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree Cody, money is important to live, its just a matter of being sensible with it
    We have just purchased a car - not a new one - took us 8 years to save for it
    We can wait, a lot of people cannot and its a 'fact' that years back, people didn't like being in debt and would save
    what they could for 'that rainy day' ...................

@Cody Fousnaugh

7. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Here in Canada a bank advertises a commercial with the slogan "You're richer than you think"

Shows a financial advisor juggling their financial situation around combining accounts, pre payments and likely a quick loan to pay off the credit cards. Yup, richer than you think.

Ina I. Wonder and Babs Hunt like this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Kind of like the commercials on TV that have people bragging that they are getting checks in the mail for spending money on their credit cards @Missy Lee They may get a check for $5 for adding $500. to their credit card balance...and they actually think they are making money!:rolleyes:

Missy Lee and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Patsy Faye, I'm with you. I remember a time when a family might have one or two family toys, but the greatest joy came from watching your savings grow. Each time we were able to set aside a few more dollars toward something that took years to save for, we would carry with us a sense of purpose that the younger generation doesn't seem to understand.

I have nine grandchildren that live at the max of their credit lines, keep a dozen credit cards at there limits, go on expensive vacations, get new vehicles at least every other year, and then have the audacity to complain about never having enough funds to buy even more stuff.

They now think I'm stingy, because I won't sell what little I have left and "loan" them money that they do not expect to pay back. Yet they found the money to get a lawyer to try and take what little I do have. Thank goodness I saw that coming and I was ready them.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I would love it if people thought I was rich.
    Seems they get more ' perks'.;)

Remember when we were flying to Greece in the 80's and because I was dressed
    in collared shirt and tie, we got upgraded to business/first class and enjoyed wine and cheese platters
    on Olympic Airlines.

Let them think what they want, just keep the free stuff coming!:)

11. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

That's funny @Tim Burr , I wish others would realize I'm not. No one offers me discounts. If you're above the poverty level, or you don't have bad credit, around here your fair game for every high priced sales tactic you can imagine.

I like savings. I drove one car for over 35 years, and I'd still be driving it if someone hadn't stole it. We bought an old 1870 log cabin with 2/3's of an acre that hadn't been lived in for over 20 or 30 years for $35,000, then we rehabbed it ourselves, and we thought it was fun. I have a house full of antiques, and every piece was something someone else didn't want anymore. I purchase most things from outlets or the main factory. Amazon Prime became my favorite place to shop since @Yvonne Smith told me about them over three years ago.

When my grandson came to live with me, and I needed to buy a bed for him, the mattress stores were asking $1500 to $2000 for a good queen size bed and mattress. I put him back into my car and drove to a mattress factory, we got the same name brand of mattress and bed frame for $400. :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

We built a 3BR, 2BA house of 1200 sq. ft. a couple of years back. I tell people we are on social security and it barely covers our expenses, with insurance, etc. I even tell them I was unemployed prior to going on S.S. All true.

Some people might think I am rich and others might think I am struggling.

They don't need to know about my savings and pension that goes straight into those savings. None of my neighbors are named Jones, so I don't worry about keeping up with them.

Missy Lee and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

One thing good about having/using credit cards is having a monthly payment NOT a having to dish out a chunk of money out out of a banking account.

14. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

I pay off my credit card each month, so I get called a "deadbeat" in the credit card world. I try to limit what goes on the card and generally use debit cards. Being the anal type, I record each transaction into categories and sub-categories to see where the money is going.

15. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Harold Hayden , did you work in the finance field? I did that kind of bookkeeping way before I ever took my first business course, so I found business and accounting course to be a breeze. I eventually ended up the CEO and CFO of my own commercial and industrial janitorial company with over 300 employees for 20 years.

I shut everything down in 2007, and I do not miss it in the least. I felt rich way before I ever learned to make money. Doctors said I'd never grow up, much less marry and have a family, so most of my life, I have felt blessed with riches that money couldn't buy. :)

Harry Havens likes this.