Do Some People Think You Are Rich?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a 20' power boat, a truck and a SUV and some people think we are rich. Thing is, the boat is a 1992, truck is 1997 and SUV is 2005. But, when some find out we have a boat, "rich" automatically comes to their mind. They don't think about asking how new, or in our case "old", the boat is.

When we lived in Parker, Colorado, some of my co-workers thought we were rich, because of where we lived and had a boat there as well. That boat was a 1989 and we bought it in 2003. Far from being new! Anyway, don't know how Parker is now, but when we lived there it was very nice and the housing development wasn't very old. I knew where some of my co-workers lived (areas) and Parker was a much safer area. Some co-workers told me "all that lives in that area is a bunch of snobby people". I said, "just because we can afford that area, sure doesn't make us "snobs". The conversation ended. Actually, our neighbor told us that he's been asked "you rich?" because of the nice house and area in Parker.

So, I guess some folks look at what a person owns, not how old the things are.

What do you think?

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Apparently the doctors, grocery store, insurance company, family etc think we are made of money ..and we dont even own jack crack ! Right now we owe out more than ever have.
    I am gulity my self thinking certain ones have much more money than us...but does not really matter to me if theydo. My brother and his wife are better off than we are for sure...but they earned it. Some have money and some have so much more of things money could never buy...and that is me and my hubby:) !

Missy Lee likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We do, sometimes, wish we were as rich as some think we are. One thing we do like doing is spending money. Of course going out to dinner, a movie or some other entertainment sure isn't cheap today. And, repairs/maintenance on the boat and both vehicles costs. For some, us spending out over $1,000 for Star Wars costumes is a waste of money, but, at the time, we had the extra money and wanted them.

We would love to be "snowbirds", with two homes, but. We'd love to have the money for a new 2017 boat, but isn't going to happen.

Yes, money can/does make life better for any age.

4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I have the problem living in a third world country because I am white foreigner they all think I am rich

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm so poor if you could go around the world for $100 I couldn't get past the county line.

But the rest of my family are so poor they call me the rich uncle.

So, how rich people think you are is all a matter of perspective.

P.S. Some of the folks who have a lot of things also have a lot of debt

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

That's very true, but most don't really care about the debt. They have nice things and are able to do a lot of things and to them, that's all that matters.

7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha ha ! I've said those words meself :p

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

They end up caring when it catches up with them
    As for me - I care 'not' what folks have, its the folks themselves that matter, if they're snobbish, uncaring
    then I don't care either :)

Ina I. Wonder and Missy Lee like this.
  9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I consider us poor just keeping our heads above water and robbing Peter to pay Paul and always praying just to keep it that way. For a long time my sisters and one particular cousin always thought I had money because I began working at a very reputable hospital. I was still living from paycheck to paycheck.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

One thing for sure, we are very good-to-excellent at using discount coupons, shopping Black Friday sales and buying dvd movies/music on sale. We have a folder in our vehicle with all kinds of fast-food and restaurant discount coupons we use.

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, there are many people who think we are rich, but not in the material sense. Our family and friends and even many others think we are rich in heavenly treasures...and we agree! :)

In material wealth we have everything we need and even many things we just wanted, but from the World's standards we would not be considered rich at all in earthly treasures.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I think what people should do is show an episode of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous to those that think a person is rich, but not.

Actually, what is the difference between rich and well off? There are a number of retiree's that have very nice motorhomes and travel all over the U.S.. There are those retiree's that are going on cruises all the time. Guess their home is paid off and they have a very nice pension coming in each month. When it's a couple, that IS a very nice pension income, plus SS and savings.

13. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I have always felt that if there was a dry roof over our heads, food in our tummies, and we were in no imminent physical danger, then we were rich. I don't think it was about money for me until I decided I wanted more for my family than what I started off with.

I came from financially poor people, and until I decided money would fix the future problems my family would encounter, I was probably the happiest I ever was. Being a product of our times, I fell into the trap of thinking that money was the cure all, and as it turned out I had a nack for finances.

But there are payouts that few see until it's generally to late. When a person thinks of lawyers, doctors, or business owners they think of money. Not the long hours of work that keeps them away from the ones they love, nor do they understand just how much they loose of being a part of their families daily lives.

Today, I am not rich, I'm comfortable, but since most of the family I worked so hard for are gone, I feel a loss of purpose, and that is worth more than any amount of money.

Missy Lee, Babs Hunt and Patsy Faye like this.
  14. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Because I have been on so many cruises, traveled extensively in Australia & New Zealand, had a home in NZ and California, been to Europe for several weeks and scuba dived in exotic parts of the world a number of folks that did not really know me well thought I was a multi millionaire. Hell, I never even made that first million.