Did You Play A Sport In High School?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Susan Long, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

We had P.E. classes as part of the daily curriculum. (Physical Education)

I was so miserable at sports that the P.E. teachers would actually make fun of me during the activities! I didn't know what I was supposed to do after the ball was snapped in football, and when I came up to bat in baseball, the whole outfield came up to the infield, because they knew I couldn't hit.

I was tall and slim (6'1") in my high school years, and when basketball coaches offered to recruit me for their team, I always delighted in telling them that I didn't like basketball!

No Letterman Sweaters for me!

Hal

2. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hal, I understand. I made the football team in my senior year, not because I was any good, but by default. I attended a small rural school and every available body was necessary to field a team. The high point of my football career was when I turned in the pads after the last game. I still wonder today why I put myself through that torture. Both of my brothers, younger and older, were early in their physical development. I wasn't.

I might add that my father was 6ft 5, and my paternal uncles were also giants, as were many of the Scandinavians in our small town. When I left home to go to the university I learned that with my 6ft even I wasn't a runt.

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Nope. They tried to force us to play team sports in P.E. class. It never went well. I tried to sit on the bench if at all possible. My cousin made the women's track team. Does that count?

Does anyone remember when "tumbling" was popular in P.E.? I could never even do a cartwheel. The closest I could come to standing on my head was the tripod.

upload_2020-11-16_14-49-10.png

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

99% of the farmers, where I lived and went to high school, had responsibilities on the family farm. No time for sports. 4-H and FFA was our sport.

Peter Renfro likes this.
  5. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm with Cody. We always had to git home for chores,so there was none of that tomfoolery.

6. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Per topic I did not my time was mine and many other things I enjoyed much more or worked at 1 time 3 jobs bought new truck at 18 and my cousin also did so, paid cash for both, our childhood was spent hunting, fishing or on horseback with my cousin mostly not sports interested at all never was.