Did You Have Parents That Divorced?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lon Tanner, May 18, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My parents divorced when I was 11 years old and I went with my mother to live in Colorado. The best thing about that is I never went back to New Jersey except to visit a sister as an adult. Dad moved to Hartford Conn and remarried and I visited him there.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My parents divorced when I was 6 years old. Lived with an Aunt until I was in the 7th grade, and then lived with a couple another Aunt knew. That is where I got my real taste of farming and raising livestock. The farm was in northeastern Indiana.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was 12 or 13 when my parents separated. I had 3 older siblings and 2 younger ones...2 of the older ones were out of the house by that time. My parents did not legally divorce. Our father's job transferred him [again] and our mother refused another relocation. They poisoned everything around them, during and after their marriage. They were still legally married--filing joint tax returns--when our father died 7-8 years later (he was 55 years old.) Our mother went to work, and our father also supported us until the day he died. Neither remarried.

4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My second wife and I had a very easy and inexpensive divorce in 2015 after 23 years. It was amicable and we are still in contact although she lives in New Zealand near her daughter and grand daughters. Family's in two different countries made the divorce necessary.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

No divorces here.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes; my first husband and I had an amicable divorce. We have two sons together and didn't want our failure to disrupt the boys' lives anymore than necessary.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'd call my first pretty amicable. We were in Germany and US military could get divorced by German court at the time, but it was a long process and wasn't no-fault. Neither of us wanted to permanently brand the other with fault. We discovered that the easiest method was to go through a stateside process.

So, since Colorado was a no-fault state, I wrote to the Colorado Bar Association claiming residency based on my parents property in Estes Park, and asked for an attorney willing to represent me in absentia, being overseas with the Air Force at the time. They sent me three names, I picked the female. She had my ex provide a statement that he was in agreement with dissolution and he did that with no problem. She had me get a division of marital property decree from the base's JAG office, and it was done. Took just a couple months.

My ex ended up moving into a house across the street from me, and his new German girlfriend sought my help with getting to know him better. She returned to the States with him and they ended up married for a while.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I was married once. Lasted less than 2 years. We remained friends. She left the area and we would get together when she came into town to visit her mother. I'd still share the occasional holiday meal with them.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I married the same woman twice, but, should've never got together with her or married in the first place. Really. First time was an Annulment. That happens when a marriage lasts less than a year.

After the Annulment, we seen each other off and on and then decided to marry again. The second time was a full divorce, but with no land/property. While we were still married, and had a 1 yr. old, she met a guy and started seeing him. I babysat our daughter, while she would go and see him. She told me that she was going to see her mom. She'd get home at 2AM. I was at work, when she had her mom, sister and brother come to our apartment and pack up everything. She was gone when I got home! I was fairly devastated, but after thinking about, glad she had left. Her "then new boyfriend", called me a few weeks later and wanted me to take her back. I said, "sorry dude, no way! You have her, you keep her" and hung up. Never talked to her again, but would look at her Facebook page when she had it.

And, 22 years later, along comes my new wife and this last March, we celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary.

Kate Ellery and D'Ellyn Dottir like this.
  10. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wow. How awful. I'm sorry you had to go through that, @Cody Fousnaugh. :(

And congrats on the current long term success! :)

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, it was pretty bad for me, mentally, but I got over it. What was even worse, was that our 2 yr. old daughter's grandma and grandpa were going thru a divorce as well. My ex's parents, not mine.

But, FINALLY, after 22 years of being single/divorced, and definitely not liking it, I met my wife. She keeps telling me "God put us together" and I do believe that.

Yvonne Smith likes this.