Did You Ever Crash Theaters When You Were A Teenager?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Lon Tanner, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I did it frequently with a friend or two. There was not a single theater in Oakland, Ca. that I could not get into with out paying or going in the front door. We figured ways to get in by way of the heavy exit doors. Our tool of entry was a ordinary coat hanger The T&D, Paramount, Orpheum and Telenews theatres presented a real challenge because of their long metal fire escapes. My senior year of high school I was a doorman at one of the theaters that I never had crashed and did no more illegal theater entry.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

No, but during one summer whilst working at Arnaud’s in New Orleans during the day, I was able to work at the RKO Orpheum at night.
    It was better than sneaking in and I still watched the movies and ate popcorn for free on my nights off.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Nope.

I recall being about 6, putting my money in one of those Lance cookie machines, pulling the long handle under my selection, and having the entire contents dump like some one-armed bandit hitting the jackpot...this was at a gas station. My dad let me keep the one I paid for and had me carry the rest inside to give to the manager.

I recall watching a movie and having the daylight from those sneaking in via the exit ruin it for us. Maybe only a couple of kids did it, and it wasn't every movie.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Never, nor did I ever shoplift. At a turning fifty years old reunion of my best friends from elementary school, I was amazed when everyone there admitted to shoplifting, as if it was simply a right of passage. I was taken aback, no lie.

My folks did a good job teaching me about honesty and following the law, I believe. I was taught that you don't take things that you don't pay for.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Nope. I have never been a risk-taker, even back then.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yeah, because the drive-in theater charged by the person rather than by the car, we'd hide a couple of people in the trunk. One time, we didn't let them out until they started banging on the inside of the trunk lid so loud that we couldn't hear the movie. As a teenager, I only went to a regular theater one time.

Bobby Cole and Ed Wilson like this.
  7. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

We did the friends in the trunk at the drive-in too as Ken mentioned. We also would sneak into our high school football games on Saturdays by crawling under a hole under the fence. The hole was up on a hill in one corner of the stadium and it was too much trouble for someone to chase us.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, growing up in a small, rural s.w. Va. town, we had a drive-in close to town, and the charge was $1 per person in the car.
    Much as I hate to admit it, one night there were 4 or 5 of us in an old Dodge, 4-door car and we couldn't all ride in it very well.

We were all sophomores in our high school, and one girl who was very tall and a member of the basketball team dared me to get into the trunk with her and hide as the main culprit was the driver and drove through the main gate. Well, you know how it is, just as today, you want to protect your image and not be the nerdy type and come off as one with no courage. So we did.

What's bad is that we were all members of churches in town. I still hate to confess it even today, but they say its good for the soul to confess.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Our high school football games were free but I only went to find someone, preferably female, who'd rather be doing something other than watching a football game. I don't remember ever looking at the field.

Ed Wilson and Trevalius Guyus like this.
  10. Marie Jean

Marie Jean Well-Known Member
    Registered

I did sneak in to the drive-in a couple of times, yes in the trunk with others!! hahaha. stupid kids! Just so happens it is still open just up the road from me!!

11. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Never.

hal

14. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Oakland California had at quite a few movie theaters and my favorite was the T &D on 11th street. I lived on 15th so it was a four block walk. Paramount.jpg Orpheum.jpg Orpheum.jpg T & D.jpg The largest was the Paramount and my favorite to Sneak into.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Loews Grand Gone With The Wind premire
    Atlanta, Georgia
    [​IMG]

Loews Grand fire,
    [​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.