Death Of His Project

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Frank Sanoica, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I may have mentioned, though going back find no post of mine relating, my nephew, Danny, in the Marine Corps, spent Summer in Missouri attending school. In his spare time, he installed a brand-new fuel-injected 5.0L V-8 he had obtained from me in a classic 1965 Ford Galaxie he purchased from his father in law in St. Louis. We conversed every few days as he encountered the numerous obstacles encountered while attempting such a transplant. I've done quite a few, thus I helped all I could. He finally got it running about 2 weeks ago, spent a week in NC while being prepared for an overseas stint in Japan.

Plan was he, his wife, and their cat would drive his 2 year old pickup from St. Louis, towing the Galaxie on an ex-U-Haul car trailer to our place here in AZ, visit a few days, then leave for Seattle, the drop-off point for Japan. His pickup and the car would remain here with us.

This morning after saying good-bye to Cecelia's parents they departed for their first stop, in Kansas, to see Danny's Dad, via I-70. About 1/4 of the way to Lawrence, KS, while passing a semi-trailer truck, the truck's rear tires nudged Danny's trailer, according to a trucker's statement who had been behind them, throwing the pickup/trailer combination into a violent fish-tailing condition, the pickup hitting the concrete abutment wall along the inner lane, the Galaxie lurching forward to hit the rear of the pickup bed.

Danny was not cited. No one was hurt, physically, but mentally, I can't even imagine how he must feel. The ups and downs he experienced working on the car all summer, to have culminated in this. The pickup is totaled, he believes the Galaxie may be also; it will be trucked back to St. Louis and left with his father in law, who had nurtured and owned the car for many years. Can't imagine how he must feel.

I almost cry when I think about how this must be affecting Danny.
    Frank

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Awww, what a shame. I'm glad they weren't hurt.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin
    Here's more to the story. GM introduced Electric Power Steering in the year and model Chevy p.u. Danny was driving. GM itself has finally admitted, in a recall notice, that many owners (many thousands?) have experienced steering episodes so frightening with their pickups, they have been returning them voluntarily to Dealerships, and even paying for repairs. Danny got the recall notice. The "fix" supposedly consists of "reprogramming the P.S. Module".

Dubious, IMO. If it's a serious design flaw. Frank

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica , I can easily believe that. It seems like every vehicle has problems that they have to be recalled for. I had to take my Honda in for an airbag fix. Do you think he will be able to get his Ford Galaxie back in shape?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin
    That's a good question, Shirl. At first, he said he believed it "totaled", in which case he would eventually remove it's new engine and the associated parts. He spoke of having the car shipped here to me. Costly, beyond doubt. I would try to judge whether repair was feasible. Difficult to find body parts for a 50+ year old car. The mechanics of it, not a problem. If it comes to scrapping, I might get to do one last engine/transmission removal job while he's in Japan! Frank

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I had a recall a few weeks after I got my brand new Chevy Cruze...thankfully it was something minor and it was fixed.