Country Western Favorites

Discussion in 'Music' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't want to further take the "Remember Kiss" thread off the designated topic; so I am starting a new thread here for those of us that love the older country/western songs and singers.
    I posted one of my favorite Duane Eddy songs in the other thread when @Mari North inquired about everyone's favorite guitarist, and she said that she had never heard of Duane Eddy; so I wanted to post a video of the "traditional" Duane Eddy guitar sound. (I love this sound ! )
    Rebel Rouser is one of his first big hits, and has that classic "Twangy Guitar" sound. Those of you who are old enough to remember the 50's hits should remember this song, since it was topping all of the charts back then.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith fab..I could fill this thread for years with my favourite country songs.....:D:D

Carlota Clemens likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

One of my favorites. If you tire early, go to 3:11 and listen from there to the end.......

Bill Boggs and Mari North like this.
  5. Will Lawrence

Registered

Done by many including George Jones, Conway Twitty, etc.... I like David Houston's rendition.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Will Lawrence

Registered

And, Conway, who went entirely too young....

7. Will Lawrence

Registered

And, one of my heartthrobs.......

8. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh my goodness, @Will Lawrence ... wow. I used to love this song so much and it brings back so many memories! I haven't thought of it in a very long time but I'm enjoying it very much as I type this. (You Don't Have To Call Me Darlin')

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Granted, Mr. Lonnie Donnegan doesn't sound country but rather British. That said, I first heard the song when my granddad sang it on a recording from his radio days. Then, later on I heard it again on the Grand Ole Opray which clinches it for a bonafide country song. Nevertheless, I like it!
    Another one my grandfather liked to sing was "The laughing song." For a Pentacostal preacher, he had his lighter side.

Holly Saunders and Bill Boggs like this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I love all of these. I will find some of mine and post them ASAP.

11. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

This is that song that got me started on country music... in that little orange car I mentioned in another thread. Listening to it now... somehow 40 years haven't passed. You people have me an emotional mess since I found ya'll! :)

12. Will Lawrence

Registered

Some may try to mimic the Great Ones, like Conway, but they will never sound as good. "Laying There With Linda On My Mind"... "Tight Blue Jeans".... "Hello, Darlin'"...

13. Will Lawrence

Registered

"Today's Country" is far different than most of what is posted on this thread. Surely, it couldn't be the age of we who are doing the posting, could it?? I just can't get hooked on today's talent. There are some good ones, but I still enjoy the earlier works.

I was never a big fan of the really old Country... Sheb Wooley, Faron Young, Gene Autry, etc. But, those were not blessed with some of the technology my favorites had. And, that technology is nothing compared to what is in use today.

Cody Fousnaugh and Bill Boggs like this.
  14. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

There have been so many great songs come from country music. Even those we don't especially like as well, some of them had to pave the way going back to the early days of the grand old opery, and the Louisiana Hay Ride, with the likes of Hank Williams, Red Foley, Ernest Tubbs and dozens more. I have been a Conway Twitty fan since his first song. He' s also a favorite, along with Willie Nelson, of my harmonica. Gospel music has also been a part of my repatore from my earliest day. I' also a rock fan, a Ray Charles fan. I always say, 'If it's music, try me out.' I like it all.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Will Lawrence

Registered