Cold Or Virus

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Patsy Faye, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Great to see an MD in the forum.

2. Doc James

Doc James Veteran Member
    Registered

LOL. I sure hope I could do it. For now, i could definitely advise you on wearing cotton slippers rather than the rubber and leather ones.oh, and it would also help cool it off if you rub your feet with a mentholated balm and expose it to air..:) for the seat cushion..hmm. I guess the best i could do for now is advise you one of those infalatble rafts, but instead of air, its amazing if you put cold water in it.hope this will hep for now since I haven't started my inventions yet.hehe

3. Doc James

Doc James Veteran Member
    Registered

than
    k you soo much for a very warm welcome. I am also happy to see you guys discussing about health issues here. It makes me glad to see you all concern about what is happening to your body, and I do hope everything is well with all of you

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Doc James - cotton slippers ! I will check that idea :)
    Yes, the inflatable cushion, tried one - very hard though
    Not a bad idea at all filling with water, makes me feel whoozy thinking on it though :rolleyes:
    I bet that would be hard too .................
    You may consider inventions from a Doc's perspective though .........................? :)

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

2 weeks ago, I began having chest congestion. Several days later, it seemed to move up into the sinuses. Hacking cough, very difficult to expectorate the stuff. No fever, temp. always <98`. Few days later, my wife seemed to b e coming down with the same thing. She got 100.5`, really hit bad, whereas I went out and about while afflicted. Then, we spent a week incarcerated. I improved, then she, but still today, 3-4 weeks later, we both cough up mucus several times an hour.

We both got flu shots in October. The illness we felt seemed to not be as serious as full-blown flu. Can't complain having been flu-like symptom free since 2004!

Chrissy Cross and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  6. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

The best advice I received concerning any kind of 'bug' came shortly after my 9 month stay in a hospital. I was only 7, so I don't really remember who seated the advice in my mind. The doctors were talking about me having a compromised immune system way before most people knew what it meant. You know, back in the 50's. But, it has helped me to avoid most of the common bugs that I have been in the vicinity of.

I was told NOT to touch the things around me, and that included people, I was told that germs where all over anything that had a surface. Plus I was taught to wash my hand frequently throughout each day. I do believe that it helps me.

Of course children and close family aren't subjected to these rules. So nothing is totally safe. :(

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder - I'm always washing me hands Ina, there's not much left of them ! :p
    Not made any difference though. A virus is also in the air so I got me 'Niles spray' :rolleyes:
    and I spray the lift before I get in now - Its worth a try :)

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  8. Doc James

Doc James Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi!you can try purchasing N-acetyl cysteine in 600mg sachets and dissolving in a half glass of water. Drink it 3x a day for at least 5 days. It usually helps you cough out the mucus. And try to drink a lot of fluids. It may be a form of allergic rhinitis or just an acute viral infection. Hope you both will be fine soon.

Frank Sanoica and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Doc James
    Thank you, Doc! I had heard of N-Acetyl Cysteine years ago, and may even have bought some back then, but the use indicated was for some other condition than respiratory clearance, but I've forgotten what that use was!
    Frank

Doc James and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  10. Doc James

Doc James Veteran Member
    Registered

It may also be use for acetaminophen overdose. t also has alot of other medical uses, but it usually is best as a mucolytic.Hoping you and your wife are better now.

11. I don't know if it still exists, but back when I frequently had colds, the old-fashioned product called Contac capsules worked wonders. The gelatin capsules were filled with what they called 'tiny time pills,' and I always used to open them and only use half at a time.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think they still make Contac.

13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

I loved those "tiny time pills".......