Coconut Milk

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, May 14, 2021.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Has anone bought and drank coconut milk at your grocery store? If so,
    does it taste like the milk inside a coconut or like coconut? I've been
    thinking of trying it, if i can find it but hate to blow five bucks if the taste
    is not there.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We are experiencing a coconut milk shortage here, but my wife is dependent on it for her smoothie and other things. Refined coconut milk tastes similar to regular milk but is not as rich and creamy. Unrefined coconut milk is richer, but tasted quite strongly of coconut, so it depends on how you use the stuff. We use the refined coconut milk for almost everything "milky" since my wife can no longer tolerate cow's milk.

Frank Sanoica and Bill Boggs like this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Registered

I've never tried any of it but wanted to get oneif it had a coconut taste. I'll have to check around for the unrefined. Thanks.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What is inside of the coconut is actually called coconut water, @Bill Boggs . The coconut milk is made from blending the flesh of the coconut with water, and the result is a nice white color like regular milk. The flavor is pretty watery (in my opinion) and they have a lot of chemical additives to them.
    Most of the ones that you can buy of any kind of plant milk are made the same way, and the flavor is not going to be as rich and coconut tasting as you are hoping for.
    However, there is some coconut milk that comes in cans (often used for cooking), and that is very rich and creamy tasting.

I have made coconut milk at home, but it is a process to open and clean the coconut meat out of the shell, scrape off all of the brown part, and then blend it all up and strain it. I usually make almond milk or even oat milk, which is a lot easier to make .

There are several brands of the canned coconut milk available, and they will look something like this one and are around $2 per can here.

8999ACE6-9F7B-4CAB-8C02-B1C9813648C1.jpeg

5. Bill Boggs

Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The canned coconut is the full fat, unrefined stuff as far as I know. We keep all varieties of coconut milk around, and we have coconut butter, and refined coconut oil.

Yvonne Smith and Bill Boggs like this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've used canned coconut milk for cooking rices and chicken dishes, but I've never tried drinking it.

As Yvonne said, the stuff for cooking tastes like coconut. I've not used it often enough to be conversant on the different types. A quick scan of my recipes that use it aren't specific...they just call for "coconut milk."

I just went on Amazon's site, and saw that there are coconut waters and drinks. You might be safer trying that rather than a canned product that's meant as an ingredient. My local grocery store sells coconut water meant as a beverage:

[​IMG]

$3.99 for a little more than a quart. I bet it would be good with a splash of pineapple in it.

8. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

LIke the earlier post/ wife/ who makes smoothies,

add honey or syrup or black strap organic molasses or cinnamon or lemon or orange or grape juice or pure vanilla extract or peppermint or coffee or stevia(never any side effect in two thousand years use)
    or chlorophyl or barley green(s)
    or whatever taste you might like or prefer
    so the taste is there.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Registered

Just had a hankering for the taste of coconut. If I had teeth I’d buy a coconut and eat the whole thing.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Cool,
    I think I saw teeth for sale at Walmart/ on Amazon....

:)

Still, most people with great teeth do not eat the husk, I think.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Registered

Just chomp down on it hard and see what breaks out.

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  12. John Brunner

I got in that phase and was making coconut cookies for a while to satisfy it.

I don't know how much you're still cooking these days, but coconut rice is as easy to make as regular rice. And you can buy coconut rice pudding online...under $12 for a 6 pak of it,with free shipping.

Rice is a pretty neutral flavor, so the coconut flavor really comes through. And it doesn't require too many teeth to enjoy it ;)

Coconut Rice Recipe

Ingredients
    2 c.long grain rice, rinsed and drained
    1(14-oz.) can coconut milk
    1 1/2 c.water
    1 tbsp.granulated sugar
    2 tsp.kosher salt (or 1 1/2 tsp. table salt)
    Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)

Directions
    -In a large pot over medium heat, combine rice, coconut milk, water, sugar, and salt.
    -Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and let simmer, covered, 18 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
    -Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
    -Serve topped with sesame seeds, if desired.

If you really wanted to get fancy and boost the coconut flavor, buy some shredded coconut and toss a handful in there at the start and stir it all together before you put the pan on the heat (I would do it.) It will add flavor, and cooking it will soften up the coconut. If you get sweetened shredded coconut (it's not always easy to find unsweetened), cut the sugar way back...1 tsp or less should do it. This would be good cold with a little milk on it, sprinkled with cinnamon. Or sprinkle a tiny bit of curry powder on it when hot to have as a side dish with chicken.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Bill Boggs likes this.
  13. Bill Boggs

Registered

I won't get a coconut cake but still I'd like to satisfy that craving with something. Maybe some coconut rich chocolate.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

If not coconut rice, then I guess a bag of Mounds bars is on your next shopping order, huh?

And this conversation caused me to come across a recipe for homemade Mounds bars, daggonit. I could make these with some real dark Ghirardelli chocolate, and I bet they would be real good.

Man.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  15. Bill Boggs

Registered

yes., my address is:

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.