Cities Or States You Definitely Wouldn't Live In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I would not like to live in New York City, Las Vegas, Houston, Chicago, Los Angeles, or Washington D.C.

I'm sure in the States where these cities are I could find at least one of two small cities I wouldn't mind living in...large cities are not for me.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

One last thing about how some folks are about their area..........

I had made a stop in Billings, Montana back in the mid 90's and was at the downtown main library. Had a California license plate on my small truck, but also had a rodeo membership sticker on the left - bottom corner of front windshield. Had on Western wear and looked like I already lived in Montana. Came out of the library and there was a note on my windshield stating: "If you plan on staying in Montana, get a Montana license plate. If not, get out of here and go back to California!" IOW, Montana people don't like California plates. Well, come to find out, a murder suspect, from Palm Springs, had been caught at a weekly motel in Billings. What the person was doing in Billings, have no idea.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, if able, please read my three previous replies. Thanks.

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Dunno Cody. Just as New Orleans, my home, isn't really a good example of Louisiana, Jacksonville really isn't even close to real Florida living.
    Down toward Vero and Sebastian, it's inundated with the cowboy lifestyle while also having the touristy condos on the beach.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, Bobby, parts of Colorado, most of Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, the Dakota's are "cowboy" lifestyle. Florida is definitely "Redneck" style. Florida is no where near "cowboy" like those States are....IMO that is. And, I'm a former rodeo cowboy and have been around Colorado, Wyoming and Montana cowboys before.

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

The same as Texas cowboys and Missouri and Moosejaw cowboys are different. Note: I am not defending Florida nor care where anyone lives but Florida raises more cattle than most recognized "cowboy" states in the U.S. Matter of fact, Hawaii raises more cattle than any of the states you mentioned.
    I cooked for a ranch in Arizona (around Patagonia) and those cowboys were reminiscent of those you see in the old western movies. They were complete with horses and side arms and yes, were totally different than any I have ever experience anywhere in the U.S. They didn't have any rodeos to speak of but they did break their own horses and did some real roping during branding season.
    The thing is, while Arizona has more real cowboys than anywhere I have been (all 50 states) they can only average two or three cows per acre for grazing.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Whereas this could be true about cattle in Florida, I'm sure cattle ranchers in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and the Dakota's would think pretty differently. Even the ranches in Nebraska and Kansas could think differently. And, don't even mention that Florida has more cattle than Texas. Those Texas ranchers are mighty bold, when comparing their ranches to Florida ones. Oh, can't forget those ranchers in Oklahoma either.

There are very few rodeo's in Florida due to the humidity here. We went to one in Lake City and it was pretty much a "dud" compared to the ones I went to in So California, when I was in the Association. Then, those in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and so on, Florida can't compare.

Don't think ranch hands/cowboys would be wearing a sidearm in most states, but definitely could have a rifle in a sheath hooked to their saddle. Don't know, because I've never been around a roundup or herding cattle from one pasture to another.

One other thing, a lot of cattle are sold at the OKC West Stockyards, world-famous Oklahoma City Stockyards and Centennial Stockyards in Fort Collins, Colorado. Been to all three.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In reading history, the term "cowboy" was a term that was originally used to refer to rustlers and other unsavory characters. Apparently, the reputable guys referred to them selves as "ranch hands" or "cattlemen". Just an aside.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

And what are rodeo cowboys called? Rodeo Announcers introduce them as “cowboys”. The name of the largest rodeo association in the U.S. is P.R.C.A aka, Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association. I get Farm & Ranch Magazine and in it rancher’s are called “cowboys” and, depending on the location and State, rancher’s refer to themselves as “cowboys”.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The original cowboys were Mexican vaqueros, who were hired by ranchers to tend the livestock. It is from them that many of the rodeo skills were developed, as well as the overall look. Of course, cowboys later became part of the American heritage, as English-speaking people migrated west, adopting much of the vaquero culture.

There were African-American Cowboys, American Indian cowboys, Mexican cowboys, as well as those who moved west from the eastern United States and Europe.

The period that has been popularized in American literature and movies is that of the mid-1800s. During the Civil War, particularly in Texas, cattle roamed free, as there was no one to maintain the ranches and farms, and perhaps they were less likely to be taken by one army or another if they were free range. There wasn't much in the way of fences, anyhow.

After the Civil War, there were people in need of a way to make a living, and there were cattle to be gathered up and brought to market. As the markets were further north, that meant cattle drives, and the people who did the work were known as cowboys.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Again, when living in Colorado, we went to an outdoor Ranch Rodeo in Colorado Springs. In some ways similar to a pro-rodeo and in other ways very different. These were "ranch hands", not pro-rodeo cowboy types. Very exciting and interesting.

Went to a pro-rodeo in Laramie, Wyoming, off of I-80/west of Cheyenne. A young ranch hand was being honored during the performance. He was sitting, with his wife, behind us. Definitely looked like a "ranch hand", that is, compared to a "rodeo cowboy".

While at a USTRC (United States Team Roping Championships) Team Roping in Pueblo, Colorado, we met a Ranch Foreman who was in-charge of around 75 to 100,000 acres. Now, that's big. He could rope a steer, head or heel. I can't "heel" rope, but sure can lay a loop around a steers horns or head aka "heading", but that was years ago. Anyway, he could also turn his loop over and rope a horses head. Two things, among other things, that a ranch hand and/or ranch foreman would have to know. My instructor at a Roping School I went to in So California, was originally from Montana and he could "over-hand" swing a loop also.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am unlikely to be moving from Maine. While I wouldn't mind moving from Millinocket, any move would probably be further north in Maine. We're looking for a very good deal on some property to come along. Otherwise, we'll stay here. If I were to win the lottery, which is unlikely since I don't buy tickets, I would probably move to one of the small towns in the Dakotas that most people have moved away from.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not trying to offend anyone, I was just making reference to an early note that I read as a history. The meaning has changed over the years, and now is a term of pride and lifestyle. Here is a note from the Oxford English Dictionary making reference

"The common thread running through all the figurative uses of 'cowboy' discussed in the foregoing is that of unruliness bordering on unlawfulness, and it is that aspect of 'cowboy' behavior that gives rise to OED sense 3e, "A person without qualifications who competes against established traders or operators, providing shoddy goods or services usually at low (or inflated) prices; one who is recklessly unscrupulous in business". While OED attests the sense from 1972, it is in use much earlier, as is attested by its use in advertising in The Plain Speaker from 1901, and such uses would have been readily understood even without more general currency on the basis of their participation in the sense of 'unruliness bordering on unlawfulness'."

I think this is where I read the comment:

http://www.thewildwest.org/cowboys/wildwestoutlawsandlawmen/186-wildwestoutlawjohnringo

Sorry if I upset anyone.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I am not at all sure that the term "cowboy" is even acceptable any longer. Perhaps, "cow persons" would be appropriate in our present day P.C. climate.

One person I had a lot to do with when I lived around the Patagonia / Nogales, Arizona area was Will Rogers Jr. He was nothing like his dad but he was a font of good information with all things concerning his elder. For instance, Rogers Sr. didn't really consider himself as a cowboy even though he was perhaps one of the best ropers of all time and was often depicted as a cowboy.

One of his best sayings was: "Never kick a cow chip on a hot day." Mine piggy backed his which was from some very personal experience: "Never enter a cow chip throwing contest and be near the last in line to get your cow chip". They are pretty green and ya can't get a good measurement on distance because they fall apart in flight.

Ya know, I did have a lot of good experiences around that area. Tombstone, Sierra Vista, and Patagonia were a little touristy but nonetheless, extremely educational and yes, for the most part filled with real ranchers and people who still worked in some trades that had been nearly forgotten.
    For instance, I remember Old man Gill (never knew his last name). He was around 90 at the time and still built Puddle Jumpers and Concord stage coaches. He built them for western movies but he learned his trade from his dad and grandfather who built them for the stage coach lines.
    His two sisters would bring him into town (they were about 70 or 80) and sit in the car whilst he would down a couple of shots at the big steer tavern.
    I had to put my ear really close to him to hear him talk that is, unless he wanted to cuss, but he had some amazing stories of the old west and the people we have only read about but he actually knew.

Yeah, I'd venture out that way again but only for a short stay. I heard that there was some sort of new vegan resort in Patagonia. What the heck does a vegan resort do in a cow town? The average summer temperature is around 110 degrees and the smells of the ranches that surround the area looms around town like a heavy morning mist and should be enough to spoil anyone's meal of carrot sticks and tofu!

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

If I ever leave California, and at this time that seems doubtful, I promise I wouldn't bother anyone.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.