Buying Extra Because Of The Corona Virus Situation?

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt , don't try to use the shiny magazines. :D

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

If I get desperate...I just might have to Shirley! :D We don't have any corn cobs over here!

Shirley Martin likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

We got to the store at 7.30am this morning and people were coming out with trolleys 'full' :(
    There were a few toilet rolls - all packs of 24 rolls ! Had to buy that choice, never before have we had a pack that big :p
    Still fed up though, we only shop twice a week and now they're saying we should stay indoors - I'll be nothing but a
    shadow of me former self ………….

4. Emily Brown

Emily Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

Sometimes, we have to change our life style. I can use either water or toilet roll. :D (TMI? lol)
    I've seen people were fighting each other for toilet rolls *smh*
    Chaotic situation may lead to social panic. I hope we all stay calm and have the faith to cope with this on-going inconvenient period.

Take care all! Cheerssss :)

Lois Winters likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Things seem to be better here, and most of the panic buyers have taken their boxes of toilet paper and gone home to wait out the pandemic.
    Stores are open for shorter hours each day, and some items have limits on how much a person can buy at one time, which seems to be helping the situation.
    Between the two precautions, people should now be able to find the supplies which we need . We have not had any reason to do any shopping , but the news is no longer reporting all of the panic buying that it was doing before.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

The first grocery store we went to yesterday, to buy milk and a few other things, had no milk at all. We asked a clerk about other stores in the area and he said, "none of them have any milk". We went to different store in the area and they had milk! My wife loves eating cereal in the morning and wouldn't like eating it without milk at all.

However, still no toilet paper or hamburger anywhere. The store that had the milk was completely out of sandwich meat.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Things seem to be on their way back to normal around here, as far as the availability of products. My wife stopped at the store today and, while they were out of Lysol wipes, which is what she had stopped for, the toilet paper and paper towel aisle was stocked, and there were no large empty shelf areas. Then, Millinocket is a small town on the way to nowhere that anyone is going to be going this time of the year, so perhaps the hoarders have already hoarded, and I hope the mice get at their toilet paper.

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter went to Costco today and they still had no toilet paper or cleaning supplies. But she was able to find eggs, milk, and other food items she needed. The stores are cutting their hours over here too and all eating places are closing their dining areas...only drive in or take out offered. We even have a curfew in place I believe for minors...unless they are with adults.

For the first year since my Moma passed away we will not be having our Family Reunion and Crawfish boil this year because of the virus. Since I'm not out and about I don't really see what's going on in the stores, etc. but my daughter said it wasn't bad at Costco today.

9. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I think the hoarders have got all they wanted around here too.

10. Ken Anderson

I've seen Facebook ads from online companies advertising that they had toilet paper in stock but, since I don't need any, I haven't looked to see if Amazon.com had been restocked yet.

11. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Amazon has Scott and Cottenelle and the other stuff

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

I just learned something the other day that maybe some of you already knew, but I didn't. During this buy-everything-and-stack-it-in-the-basement crisis, we all know that Amazon has said that they were giving priority to shipping essential items, but they also announced that they were using a rating system for buyers. I didn't really pay any attention to that part, but I was confused by what some of you, and others, were telling me. I would look on Amazon and see that something, like toilet paper, was still available. When I mentioned that, someone would tell me that it might be available but they weren't shipping until mid-April or something, and this was a couple of weeks ago. But I ordered a case, and it arrived in a few days. The same has been true of food items, although books and some other things take considerably longer than usual. However, what Amazon meant by rating buyers is that they have actually been giving priority to people who have been prime members for a long time and who have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years. I don't know exactly what goes into it, but it seems that buying pretty much everything I need through Amazon over the past several years has paid off because I haven't had a problem. Oh, I can't always get the brand I want but I haven't had to go without and most things are coming about as quickly as they have been for the past year or so.

Von Jones likes this.
  13. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't bought anything to speak of and nothing extra. Hard to get just what I need because I can't get to the store. My son is helping as he can but his wife is stuck in Italy and can't get home, he's trying to take care of his family and and us and work. We've start rationing tp and paper towels. I think some places may be a mess befiore it getys better.

14. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

As a single person living alone with minimal needs I have no reason to stock pile anything.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

The stores here have nearly returned to normal. There are still some shortages in the toilet paper, paper towel, and hand sanitizer areas, but I have heard that they are restocked frequently. I have not personally entered a store in a few weeks but my wife goes every day because she's bored here in the house, I think. We don't really need much of anything. Have you looked at Amazon.com for toilet paper and paper towels lately? While some brands are out, I'm seeing quite a few that are available.

Bill Boggs likes this.