Bouts Of Nostalgia During Covid 19

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Pictures that I took 10 years ago today pop up on my screen. I like it--nice memories

2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

I get pics that are exactly a year old. "Look what you were doing a year ago", not sure if from google or Whatsapp, but it's a nuisance. I'm a bit concerned that they store my pics so long. Ten year-old pics are not possible because I have been using Whatsapp on my smartphone for roughly four years only.

3. Lon Tanner

Registered

I am sure everyone has or has had a bit of Nostalgia during these bitchin times. My bout today is missing my porch at Lavender Hill in Maupa, New Zealand and looking out at the snowy mountains.

Attached Files:

Von Jones and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  4. Lon Tanner

Registered

Another View

HILL 2.JPG

Von Jones and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  5. Herb Durant

Herb Durant Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Lon.
    You are one of my favourite members your post are so stimulating makes me think about things .
    Thank you.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I could never move back to an urban setting. I need greenery, and I need a horizon.

Even with DC's relatively low building height limitations, I felt claustrophobic.
    New York City was intolerable the few times I was there.

7. Herb Durant

Herb Durant Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

John,
    Your property is for the independently wealthy in my part of the world but I'm sure you worked hard for it.

8. Lon Tanner

Registered

Well Thank you Herb I appreciate that.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It all depends on how far away from the cities (and jobs) you're willing to move. No one back home could afford what I have here...not even the CEOs. And lots of the folks here commuted 100 miles each way for work (and much of that drive was spent sitting in traffic.)

I bought this place for a little more than half of what I got for my 600 ft² home on 1/3 acre about 8 miles outside of DC...and those people torn down the house and built a brand new one!!!!

With my rural use tax rate, I pay less than 20% of the real estate taxes on these 51 acres than I paid on that 1/3 acre up north...but I gotta haul out my own trash, clear my own fallen trees off of my right-of-way, wait 1/2 hour for an ambulance to arrive, drive 45 minutes to decent shopping, etc.

I just took a look at land in a random [more] remote part of the state:
    -55 acres for $68,000
    -74 acres for $75,000
    -136 acres for $136,000

Crazy, huh? And there are areas in this country that are way cheaper than that. I'm sure there are parts of Canada like that as well.

As an aside, there are times I am nostalgic for my old home. I used to be a member of the Smithsonian Resident Associate's program. I've been fossil hunting with those guys. I've been to members-only tours and book lectures. I used to visit The National Gallery of Art several times a year. There were events and classes at my town's community center within walking distance of home. Shopping was less than a mile away. Lots and lots of restaurants to choose from...more than one open 24 hours.

But all it takes is for me to spend 5 minutes in that traffic, and I know I made the right decision. I drive 16 miles to my bank and have a stop sign on this end, a stop sign when I get there, and hardly see any cars in between. And now with this flu, I'm glad I no longer live in a region of several million people.

Regarding the topic (nostalgia): Yeh, I've got it...for the way back home used to be when we moved there in 1963.

10. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I think of The Twilight Zone episodes where people go back to their childhood homes and see their parents, young again, and all of their childhood friends.

In a heartbeat, I'd go back to my childhood days and home, if it meant I could be with my mom, dad and sister, again. Yeah, I'd give up everything I have worked for, and go back, no doubt. I would need to retain my present knowledge base, though.

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

As for us, we should have never left Colorado and moved to both North Carolina and then to Florida. Although, we did have some fun times in both places, but returning to Colorado and see big Bull Elk was exactly what we both missed. And, in both NC and Florida, especially where we lived, we seen no pasture land with Black Angus cattle grazing or corn fields.