Botulism

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sheldon Scott, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I can remember as a kid, my mother was vigilant about checking canned goods before opening them. She wouldn't use a can that had been dented or if the top wasn't "sealed". Botulism was a huge problem when she was growing up, during the depression, as most people canned their own veggies.

You don't see it much now-a-days, with so few people doing their own canning and modern processing plants. I would venture to say that most people under the age of 50 wouldn't understand that a can that has a "spongy" top shouldn't be used.

3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was also reading that they have found listeria in a second ice cream company's products. The second company has no involvement with the first company, and authorities have NO idea what caused the bacterial outbreak in the ice cream product of either company.
    At this point, they are checking to see if it is maybe some ingredient that both companies use. If that turns out to be the case, then very likely, other companies might also use that same ingredient, so it might be wise to consider ANY brand of ice cream as potentially unsafe at the present time, until they can locate and isolate the problem ingredient.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/...ter-positive-listeria-test/?intcmp=latestnews

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, Blue Bell ice cream had to be taken off the shelf due to Listeria in 23 states here in the Unted States. Now comes word that yet another brand of Ice Cream has it as well. I have to wonder what is the common denominator here. Both companies swear they use pastrurized milk so if we rule out the dairy what else could it be. Hopefully the FDA will get the bottom of this. I would hate to think that there will be other ice cream brands that will also come up with Listeria in them as well before this is all said and done.