Best Exercise Bike For Seniors

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hal Pollner, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Peloton, Nordic Track, etc...which is good for seniors?

Hal

John Nopales likes this.
  2. John Nopales

John Nopales Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've been using a Concept2 Bikeerg every day for the last two years, and am currently riding and training for 100 minutes every morning. I like that it's easy to get on and off, it's extremely stable, has a good monitor that is precisely consistent, and they have online event rankings by age groups.

The seat and handlebar positions are fully adjustable vertically and horizontally. They also have a shorter length seat tube for shorter people, which also works for people over 6' tall. The only thing that can't be changed are the 170mm cranks, but I had mine drilled at 150mm.

Here's a review <-- from several years ago.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have an exercise bike that we bought on Amazon, and it can be used either sitting like a bike, or standing up. Even though it looks easy to use, I can’t get on it without a lot of trouble and worry that I am going to tip it over with me. It is hard for me to step over the middle, and I have to use a step stool for reaching the seat, which makes it hard for me to balance getting on the bike.
    Once I am on the bike, I have to lean way forward to reach the handle bars, which also move as you ride, making my balance even worse. The seat is really tall, which is why I have to use a step stool to even get on the exercise bike.
    Because of this, I am not comfortable using it, and it mostly just sits there. Part of my problem is also because I am so short; because everything works fine for Bobby, who is over 6 feet tall and has really long arms and legs, where mine are very short.

1E0C3CEF-BDB1-4127-B401-A3A5E6179FB1.jpeg

John Nopales likes this.
  4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I have this little 25-pound "Sunny" Arm and Leg exerciser which can be used on the floor or table top. I use it sometimes when I'm on my Recliner watching TV. It has magnetic variable resistance for light or heavy use.

Those other large, bulky, expensive machines would not get much use from me, as I prefer short, non-taxing exercises, not the kind that you see with visitors to a Gym.

Hal
    IMG_0740.JPG

5. Yvonne Smith

I just ordered a recumbent exercise bike to do indoor bike riding. We have the exercise bike that Bobby got a couple of years ago, but it is really hard for me to get on the bike to use it because my leg just does not lift up good enough to swing onto the seat anymore, and I have balance issues when i try using a step stool to get on it. Plus, the arm things are awkward for me to hold on to, and when i use it without them, then annoy me swinging back and forth.

So, I started looking at the affordable recumbent bikes. When I was doing exercises at the fitness center, they had one there that worked well for me and was easy to get on the seat properly; so I think that this one will also work fine for me to use.
    Since there is nothing that I have to hang on to with my hands, I can pedal while reading in the evenings and use my iPad to read with or watch videos as I exercise.
    This is a very affordable one, but the reviews for it are good. It is a Marcy recumbent bike.

IMG_5350.jpeg

John Nopales and John Brunner like this.
  6. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My wife bought a LifeCore 1050RBS several years back for herself. I have ended up using it too because it doesn’t bother my back like some other aerobic stuff. A couple things I like about it is that the variable resistance is provided by magnetism, so no belt wear etc. The other thing I like, no power cords or batteries. Although it has a lot of built in electronics, it’s all powered by the person pedaling. Pretty cool design I thought. From this article it looks like it has been superseded.

https://www.allexercisebikes.net/lifecore-lc1050rbs-recumbent-exercise-bike.html

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

My Marcy exercise bike arrived today, and Mr. Bobby (also known as Mr. Fix-it) set it all up for me and got his Reward Kiss for setting it up.
    I can really tell that my legs are not used to this exercise !
    It took me several times of riding and resting, but I ended up with a 20 minute ride, and rode about 3 miles. I am at level 2, which is one of the lowest levels, and I will probably be riding at that level for a while until my leg muscles get stronger, and then I will gradually mode up a level at a time as I progress.

All in all, I really like this exercise bike ! It is easy for me to get on, the seat is very comfortable, and the odometer keeps track of distance, speed, calories burned, and time ridden. The odometer actually works like a car odometer, so that function also tracks the total miles I have ridden the bike, whereas the distance tracker each ride.

John Nopales and Thomas Windom like this.