Beating The Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was just looking at that picture again and ya know.......I think I’m going to look for a mud puddle. That really looks like fun!!

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I will admit that I am consciously not hyper-hygenic. I shall not give specifics, but daggone it, as long as my system is functioning properly, I'll let it do it's job. In fact, I would submit that I'm maintaining its performance.

I stopped eating meat for a period of time. The first small burger I ate after being meatless made me feel as though I were having an attack of appendicitis. Why??? Because my body stopped producing the enzymes required to digest it, since it saw I was no longer using them. My body stopped wasting the resources required to create something that I did not use. How very, very smart of it. How darned incredible!

We are designed to survive (thrive) in a variety of environments. Use it or lose it, baby. I'd go so far as to say that this applies to our minds as well as to our bodies. No one benefits from being isolated and shielded, on any level.

3. John Brunner

I've known a few in the profession like her, but they are the subversives in their industries.

I commented elsewhere that there are gag orders on hospital workers in my region regarding The Virus. Those people are not allowed to discuss the [low] number of cases at their institutions.

Given all the fear. hype and hysteria, we all know that if this was truly such a catastrophe, all hospitalization figures would be thrown in our faces all day long, day after day after day.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yet, for some people it is devastating. This is why I had anticipated more of an interest in preparing to survive it. After all, there may be people who can live their entire life without ever catching a cold or the flu, but most people do. It seems that too many are thinking that they will be able to hide from it behind their masks until a vaccine is developed that makes it all go away. If that occurs, we can be sure that it was manufactured. Otherwise, it's not going to happen in our lifetimes.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

My doctor doesn't believe the masks are necessary for most people, but she is required to mandate them on visits. Before our governor mandated them, she wasn't requiring them and didn't wear a mask herself. That's a big part of the problem. Governors and other mostly Democrat politicians are overruling medical professionals.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  6. John Brunner

But if those same medical professionals came out with destructive draconian recommendations, those same Democrats would only be relying on "unassailable experts." (A.K.A. "Anyone who does not accept the results of an election is a threat to our democracy.")

In the meantime, I went shopping in Charlottesville today (mu county needs a better grocery store so I stop spending my money there), and as I left, I saw a sticker in the window of a van:

"Mask It or Casket," with the appropriate pictures. I actually blurted out "What an idiot!" before realizing that the driver was in there with the window down. Maybe she didn't hear me, Or maybe she didn't know why I said it.

It's people like her that made me spend my hard-earned money on a MAGA mask, just for wear in CVille.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Our governor has had signs posted along the highway with slogans like "Wearing is Caring". Can you get any more 1984 than that?

8. John Brunner

I am so sick of commercials with masked people.
    I get it. The mask hides the Kool Aid stains. Leave me alone.

Maybe they need to revive the Burma Shave signs:

Please Wear A Mask
    phone pole.jpg
    Avoid the Virus
    phone pole.jpg
    Or Just Don't Kiss
    phone pole.jpg
    Miley Cyrus

Henry J. Gibson

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think any of us know beans about this virus and I doubt the doctors know all about it either.
    I prefer to follow the science and advice of someone like Dr Facsi. I wear a mask outside my home
    and inside when other come in. I suppose each of us will do what he or she thinks we ought to do.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yes, we will indeed Bill.
    At our hospital based gym, the doctors and nurses who use the treadmills put up enough of a fuss about having to wear a mask that no one has to wear one any longer as long as they’re using the treadmills, rowing machines and other ellipticals.
    I have a tendency to do as doctors do rather than what they say.

11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

That’s good; you do it your way, I’ll do it mine..

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

We seem to have two totally different opinions about COVID-19. Some are saying it's all a conspiracy. Others are saying you're going to die!

Some people who have it don't get very sick. Some get so sick that death would almost be welcome . Some die... like my friend who died yesterday. I can assure you, it's not a pleasant way to die.... gasping for breath, all alone without your loved ones to comfort you.

If you live in a small town in a remote area like @Ken Anderson does, it might be OK to take the risk. The odds are in your favor. But are you others willing to risk suffering and death just to prove that ,"The govmint ain't going to tell me what to do!"?

I have faced death. I'm not afraid to die. But if the inconvenience of distancing and wearing a mask in public can reduce the odds of catching COVID-19 by even an iota, I will do so. I don't want to die that way.

13. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

The figures that follow are for causes of death in the USA. (Figures from your sources may vary.)

I wrote to Lester Holt, at NBC, in the past, and he actually addressed, on the air, the same night, the issue I wrote to him about, concerning fear mongering on his nightly news show, over cv19, at the start of his broadcast. I am thinking I might send him the following:

Cancer 700K deaths

Cardiovascular disease 900K deaths

Accidents 170K (total, all accidents)

Medical mistakes 300K

CV19 160K, so far.

Murders 16K

Suicides 50K

Flu and Pneumonia 60K

Total annual deaths: ~3M

Total yearly births ~4M

The above figures show that cv19, while deadly, is simply one of the many ways people die in our country (and, I'm sure, around the world). If we're going to keep trying to panic folks, in order to control them, why not broadcast, daily, the deaths from cancer and cardiovascular disease, the Big Two (in the above), since we can then try to push people to avoid those things that cause those deaths, like smoking, obesity, occupational hazards, etc.

We keep pushing cv19 news items because it's a "new thing" in our world, and it keeps people tuning in/reading about it. They're scared of the (comparative) unknown. That makes them more easily controlled.

Imagine what might happen, as far as changing unhealthy behaviors, if cancer deaths were reported, nightly. Yeah, not much, because cancer is not exactly a hot button issue.

See the daily bombardment of cv19 items for what it is. Get on with your life, while being careful. That's it..........

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Instead, people who may be in danger of everything else aren't even seeing their doctors because it's too much of a hassle maneuvering medical clinics these days. Only a few more months and COVID-19 will be on the backburner of media attention, and if the media doesn't care, no one will care.

Trevalius Guyus and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. John Brunner

Good for you!

I'll just add that there are no comparisons to the number of cases or deaths of prior flu seasons to give any perspective.
    The media literally creates reality for many.

Trevalius Guyus and Bobby Cole like this.