Bad Vitamins?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Brittany Houser, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I heard a news report on the radio today regarding a new study out of the UK. They have found evidence that people who take consistent excess doses of Vitamin A have a propensity toward lung and other types of cancer. They think this may explain why some people develop the disease, even though they've never smoked. Non-smokers always want to chalk it up to second hand smoke, but researchers think that is probably not the case. The same studies have suggested that excess doses of Vitamin E may be responsible for prostate cancer in some men. Moderation in all things maybe?

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

They are finding out that mega doses of vitamins, which was a big fad a few years ago, are actually creating horrible side effects. It's not just vitamin A.

As usual, you have people who read that X nutrient in Y quantity is good for them. So if Y is good, than 1,000 times Y must be 1,000 times better. They don't seem to realize that our bodies were designed to handle a certain amount of each nutrient. If we get too little, we have problems, and it we get too much, we have even bigger problems. Our bodies just aren't built to filter all those chemicals.

Add into, that most people who take one supplement are most likely taking others. There really haven't been any reputable studies done on vitamins, and there interactions with other supplements, like fish oil (other than by the vitamin companies themselves). Also keep in mind, that if a company calls their pill a "dietary supplement" they don't have to go through the whole FDA process of being evaluated and tested to see if it's safe.

Add into all this, that independent labs have recently tested vitamins - from many different manufactures, and have found that in a lot of cases, they don't conform to what the bottle says. For example, your vitamin C bottle may say 100 mg, but in actuality, it may be 10 or it may be 1,000.

The moral of the story - if you take vitamins, only take the RDA amount. If you can though, get your vitamins the old fashioned way, by eating lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, beans, nuts, healthy oils and lean protein.

3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

People need to know the interactions of minerals, vitamins, amino acids and fatty acids. They all work together if you separate one out and use it, it can become toxic even oxygen can kill you if you get too much. There are more deficiency diseases than using too much.
    You will see many of these claims that vitamins are bad but look where it is coming from Drug companies, doctors. these are the people who benefit from you being sick it is good business to keep you that way.
    There was a new study just came out in Canada that some vitamins can cause cancer and of course some people will believe it. Who brought out the study was the American Cancer Association who makes a billion dollars a year off cancer and if it was cured tomorrow they would be out of business.
    Follow the money when you see these claims.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

think this is why I am not a huge vitamin taker. The only time I will take a vitamins are when its recommended by my doctor. Then its because there is a need for the vitamin supplement in my body, which is determined by a blood test. For me this is the best way to take vitamins, knowing what your own body needs at that time. Not taking it on a daily basis because for me if its not needed in the body it could apparently have dire effects down the line. To me a vitamin is like another drug, if the body needs it then take it, if it doesn't then don't, other then the ones that are currently in the foods we eat.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I will take my chances with possibly getting a vitamin overdose to using drugs just about any day. Like Martin pointed out; most of those so-called research tests are funded by a drug company that wants people to spend money on a drug, and not a cheap bottle of vitamins that can't be patented.
    Our ground, especially here in America where we mostly use chemicals for fertilizers, has been so over-farmed, and under-nourished, that most of the commercial vegetable that we buy, even when they are supposed to be fresh ones; just do not have the vitamins and minerals that the same vegetable grown in the same ground had 50 years ago. (whew, that was l-o-n-g sentence----- sorry , guys)
    The RDA for a vitamin is the minimal amount that they think will keep you from getting sick from a deficiency of that vitamin, not the amount that might actually be theraputic. People are treated with mega-doses of vitamins all of the time, and you never hear about anyone dying from it. Yet, we read all of the time about people dying from drug overdoses, even when they are doctor prescribed medications.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  6. Lydia Williams

Lydia Williams Veteran Member
    Registered

I knew there was such a thing as too much as something, so I usually don't take vitamins and just get them from my food - it looks like that may have been a good idea. I didn't know you could get cancer from taking too many though! I hope this doesn't put people off having fruits with vitamins as not having enough is just as bad.

7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

If you think you are getting everything you need from your food it has been dis proven over and over again' In the year 1934 the agriculture put in a paper to the government saying the the soils where mineral deficient and it has not got better. It is impossible to get all the nourishment from food it just does not have it just look around and see how many are sick. Linus Pauling who won two Nobel prizes for science in nutrition say that all diseases, illness, can be traced back to a mineral deficiency. The people who put out this study was a cancer doctor who has everything to lose by you being well and everything to gain by you having cancer. Follow the money.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Diqagnoss of cancer and diabetes and heart and blood problems greatly increased between wwi and wwii, and has steadily and greatly increased since then for the same reasons. Malnutrition.
    Yes, confirmed every year by tens of thousands of doctors, scientists, and millions of people.

9. Jeff Elohim

Registered

It -the prevention and cure -was known and proven before 1950.
    "out of business" ?
    Logically, yes, but maybe not. Scurvy cure was known BEFORE professionals got the power and the control over media. Many many people have scurvy, often for a decade or longer before developing into a diagnosis of heart disease...... The cure is known. The profits are protected, by lying to the whole nation.
    "Phamkaeia deceives the whole world" - including doctors, pharmcists, politicians, teachers, pastors, etc etc etc...

10. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Dose anyone take COq10 I was advised to take it prob 10 years ago due to taking statins
    sometimes I let them lapse for a month or so after running out but I slowly get sluggish / tired so I go get anther bottle ( the best I’ve found is from Costco as well as having great reviews)
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-coenzyme-q10/art-20362602

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  11. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Some, whether few or many, after getting proper nutritional testing outside the moneymakers, switch to a protocol or method or lifestyle that is easily fifty times better than any drugged approach, and with no risk, no toxicity, and much lower costs.

The health givers are not allowed by federal law in the usa to make known nor publish the preventions, the cures and the remedies that have been used and known for decades, or even thousands of years,
    so
    information must be found outside the system.

12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If you are taking any of the stains, you should be supplementing with CoQ10, as statins cause a deficiency in that coenzyme and perhaps several more that they haven't discovered yet.

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I do, Kate. I started taking it when it first hit the scene, and then my doctor later recommended it because I'm on statins, and they can cause some muscle damage.

I've been using Puritan's Pride lately, but I've not really been brand conscious. And I recently upped my dosage based on some reading I've done.

14. Jeff Elohim

Registered

The latest doctor's conference a doctor friend went to
    noted that only one in sixty four people who take statins are benefited by them. Side effects were not mentioned or I don't remember.
    Other things, like for far out example gse that some posters here said they do take for years ,
    appears to help sixty four out of sixty four people, with no side effects so far in twenty years.

Research and searching outside the box, outside pharmakeia control, is always needed and always more helpful to get to the truth;
    and always test it as much as possible,
    before taking or changing anything.
    A holistic tester can actually test the individual items that might be taken or are being taken, to see if there is any good or harm being done.

15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Statins appear to have some benefit in some people, but my opinion is that the benefits have nothing to do with cholesterol. Since they were originally developed as anti-inflammatories, it is my feeling that the benefits are due to being a relatively safe anti-inflammatory, but the cholesterol is a measurable, marketable side effect.

John Brunner likes this.