Baby, It's Cold Outside!

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Steve North, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Figured on the humidity, we are just a tad cooler than Arizona and maybe not as dry but it's more like an oven than a sauna.

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Still cold again tonight and now we have a brisk wind that will not only make things a bit colder, but give us a wind-chill of ???? (who knows)...
    As I post this at 12:30 am on Sunday, the thermometer in our carport (which is sheltered) is reading -38c...
    What it will drop down to later on is anyone's guess..

I must say we love the cold weather as it is making it safe to snowmobile on our lakes and rivers.. Till now, the ice was too thin.. So thin that some ice fishing derby's were cancelled which is not good for our village.. Snow and cold weather brings tons of $$$$ into our village..

Chrissy Cross and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

It was Zero, when I woke up this morning. Warmer tomorrow.

4. Steve North

Registered

As I post this at 8:30am, it is -46c... REALLY !!!!
    This is one of the coldest spells I can remember..
    It is supposed to be all over by Monday where it will be up to -10c with some snow which we need badly...

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

They didn't keep their cold air up there. :mad: It's 17° F here this morning. I went out late yesterday afternoon and nearly froze. It must have been in the low twenties then and the wind was whipping. By the time I got my groceries in the car, my hands felt like they were frozen.

BUT, in two weeks, it will be spring here. :D

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Florida is not suppose to have a so-called "winter", but today at 7AM, our temp here was 34 degrees! Today, the high in Miami will be 71. So, yes, I'd definitely say "baby, it's cold outside" and our electric bill is going to show that.:mad:

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Not too bad here, since I've been home it's been mostly in the 70's and the lows have been about 48-50.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We had our first below zero weather a couple of days ago. Still, this has been a very mild winter in Maine. Very little snow and, thus far, the only below zero weather we've had has been mostly at night. It was two below when I drive to Bangor for my biopsy a couple of days ago, but that was far earlier than I usually get up and it had climbed above zero not long afterward.

9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Not long got home from our afternoon out shopping and lunching. 5 degrees out there and although mostly sunny .. felt much colder due to the wind chill...

It's dark now at 6.20pm and the temps are down to 2 degrees, and set to be minus 2 through the night..

@Steve North , I have no idea how your eyeballs don't pop out and your fingers and toes drop of with frost bite in those temps...wow!! That's just incredibly cold!! :eek::eek: I can't even imagine that kind of cold...

10. Steve North

Registered

Holly.. Sorry for taking so long to answer you..

We dress in layers which keeps us very warm..
    We do have winter jackets and coats that keep us warm in that weather..
    We have very warm boots that our feet NEVER get cold..
    A hat, scarf, gloves is mandatory..

Remember wool is the best fabric to wear in cold weather.. It is the warmest..

Besides, we are used to the cold and at those temperatures, we went out for a long walk.. Even took our dog out for a walk as well and she loved it so much, she didn't want to come in..

Our houses are very well insulated and warm.. I have my thermostat set at 70f and I keep it there all winter.. Our house is always cozy and warm..
    We plug in our vehicles at night to make sure they will start.. That is a block heater that keeps the oil and coolant warm..

We love breathing air that hasn't been breathed before.. Clean air .....

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Steve...here we use feather and Down jackets if we can afford them, but they are verrry expensive, and also we layer up, with thermals etc when it gets below zero.... do you have any specific Brand of clothing you find is lightweight but very warm for outdoors....

12. Steve North

Registered

For the outerwear, down is hard to beat.. Not really that expensive considering it will last you many many years, unless you gain weight and can NO longer get into it.. Every manufacture of that kind of clothing makes a good product, up here anyway..
    During the extreme cold weather, everyone that has a snowmobile is out there for hours and hours every day on their machines and just think of the awesome speed they are going.. They are properly dressed and don't feel the cold at all..
    How about those that go ice fishing out there for again, hours at a time?? They too must dress warmly.. NO problem as they are warm with the clothing they wear..
    How about those that work outside all day?? Again they are dressed accordingly..

Who it is impossible on is the homeless people.. We don't have any at all in our area but there are some in the larger cities..

PS...... Every winter, we up here get an extreme cold snap but, right now, it is all over and the temperature is back to normal..

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Ours is a tropical country so I have no idea that cold weather can be hazardous. But in the years passed, I had read of people dying from cold brought by a typhoon or storm. In 2013 when typhoon Yolanda hit the central part of the Philippines, thousands died from the tidal wave or storm surge that hit the shores of Leyte province. But not reported were the hundreds who died from extreme cold weather. With houses destroyed, the residents were forced to seek shelter under the trees. It was a dark night since logically there was no electricity. Not a dry cloth to be found, the shivering people huddled with each other, all of them wet because the rains have not stopped. In the morning, they discovered some of their family members succumbed to hypothermia.

I experienced the coldest temperature in January of 2015 when we were in Beijing, China. The forecast was below zero and it was really freezing especially when the wind blows. Just thinking of the cold weather, I don't have the courage to go back there again (during the cold season).

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered