Apartment Manager

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Kitty Carmel, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm mad and even more upset right now. I had a leak under my kitchen sink so the maintenance man came to fix it last week. He couldn't fully fix it because of a part needed related to the dish washer. He agreed to be here Tuesday at noon. When he didn't show up I called the maintenance line and they knew nothing. Just stated they would message the manager.

As I was leaving that day I saw him in the parking lot and he said no it wasn't noon it was 1-4. No it wasn't. That was the original time frame last week. I would have never agreed to 1-4 because I knew I wouldn't be home all that time. I told him it couldn't be done and to please cancel for today

I finally got a hold of the apartment manager today and she made an appointment time noon-4 tomorrow. My guess is it will be closer to 4. I don't think they like it when I say I want to be home. Before hanging up the manager stated "and please don't cancel this appointment" I told her I didn't cancel.

I'm actually worried and scared. I had a former manager yell at me once on the phone "I'm sick of you" and then called me a name when I told her I needed to be home when someone came in the apartment.

Have any of you ever had trouble with management when you rent. Years ago I also had my door left open by maintenance. I don't play the female card a lot but in this case I have to wonder. Would I be treated like this if a man was in the apartment? I'm worried about my cats. I just want to get this fixed and don't want to deal with these people and hope nothing else goes wrong.

2. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

Years ago I lived in an apartment in a little town in lake county Illinois. We had a manager that went through our stuff when we weren't home. She also left our door wide open once, thank heaven we had no animals to worry about. she denied snooping but we caught her in there twice, we moved.

Ina I. Wonder and Patsy Faye like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't lived in rentals but I can understand your concern, I would feel the same. When I have people coming to do things at the house I'm always trying to make sure that no doors are left open or the gate in the back.

After they leave I go and double check everything because Pickles can get out and that would be a disaster as he's not street savvy.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My first job when I moved to California was as an assistant manager of an apartment complex owned by Mrs. See of See's Candies. We wouldn't go into anyone's apartment when they weren't there unless it was absolutely necessary, such as a water leak or something. We were afraid of being accused of taking something that we didn't take.

Ina I. Wonder and Joe Riley like this.
  5. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes and that was one reason I moved. He drug his feet in fixing items. He sure wanted me to pay rent on time, but I often felt he did not want to spend money to keep the property in good shape.

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

We bought our apartment, that we could just about afford after selling the house
    The reason we moved was mainly for the elevator here, stairs were a problem
    We have a manager (fortunately part time) and the first 7 years had been hell
    The past 2 years I had to calm down for the sake of my health, but its not easy 'putting up with'
    some of the things that go on here :(

7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have read several issues on apartment managers in the US. No, it's not in the forum but in a magazine. Some managers were like mother hen who would be making you comfortable in your stay in their apartment. And there are some who are called terror who act like a school ma'arm who is very strict. I don't think I can live in that kind of apartment because I value my privacy and much more with my comfort and convenience. When my requests are not being taken seriously, I would leave. In the same vein, our cable tv provider is giving us bad service so we got another cable provider. Right now we have 2 and the new one seems to be good enough with their service. In a few months from now, we will stop subscribing to the old one because of the poor service.

8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never lived in an apartment but lately we've been thinking we might need to someday. I think I would prefer a stand alone condo rather than an apartment in a multi story building. Whether to own or rent is another question. This post makes me think owning and paying for maintenance would be best.

Ina I. Wonder and Joe Riley like this.
  9. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I lived in one small apartment building where the owner would let himself in at any time without knocking or any notice. I worked the midnight shift then and was sleeping. The bathroom was in the bedroom.
    I heard the door open and as I was coming awake, someone walked into the bedroom. My gun was on the table beside the bed. I picked it up as I jumped out of bed. He turned around and I saw who it was. I yelled at him about never doing that again.
    Well, he adopted a hostile attitude every time he had to deal with me and I moved shortly after. Then, he threatened to sue me for nit picky little things.

10. Patsy Faye

Registered

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

If I could do things over - I would rent, at least then we could move on - as it is, we're stuck :(

12. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

That's a good point, Patsy. But renting means maintenance would be at the whim of the landlord.

13. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Sheldon Scott - another good point although our maintenance charges are at the whim of the management :p

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When a Repair Request is put in by a renter, the renter is suppose to let management know if a pet/pets are in the apartment. Management then puts the info on the computer and that is printed out and given to Maintenance. We don't have any pets, so that something we don't worry about. Maintenance has been in our apartment when we were gone and none of our personal things were touched and the door locked when they left. Most of the time, I'm in the apartment. And, perhaps because we've lived in our current apartment for almost 8 years, Maintenance is pretty fast in getting something done/repaired that we need, but we haven't needed many things done.

For us, in the last two apartments we've lived in, it's been upstairs neighbors we had problems with, not management. And, the problem has been noise! Currently we live in a "bungalow" with nobody over/next to our dining room, either bedroom or living room. It very, very nice not to have a noise problem!

Whenever we go somewhere, we always, always make sure both our front door and back door locks and deadbolt locks are locked.

Some people are extremely "private" type people and don't like anyone entering their home unless they are present. Understandable, but sometimes a "must enter" is necessary. Sometimes management has some type of inspection they have to do at a certain time and the resident just can't be home. The inspection has to be done whether someone is home or not.

One thing is for sure, for people who can afford to get a loan, and make monthly mortgage payment, to buy a house or condo that's great............but, not all Senior Retiree's can afford that. Plus, be able to afford the property tax and necessary repairs inside and outside. We've owned/buying a house before and know what the cost can be, but we were both working full-time, descent paying jobs.

15. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Ike that's terrible! This guy must have had mental issues to keep bothering you. Most people pulling BS like this would have said 'I'm not messing with this guy"