Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ha, neck metal. I had the bottom four neck vertebra fused with titanium in 2011 to stop foot numbness, caused by bone spurs pressing against my spinal cord. I guess it worked. I lost some rotational movement but I guess that's the price. Recovery pain was too horrible to describe.

So why did you need the surgery, Faye? (you don't have to answer that if you don't want to ;) )

If my sink fixture started leaking or something, I would replace it. Wouldn't be fun, and I expect the anticipation would be much worse than the actual task -- I've found that out about myself a long time ago. In my twisted world, no task ever turns out as bad as my mind thinks it will be.

Just being nosy here, but I see you are also 71. My DOB is August 21, 1950. What is yours? confused 2.gif

Faye Fox likes this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

No problem Brucie, I don't mind answering questions when a single guy has a 13K total house generator and is surrounded by woods begging for the sharp chain of my battery Sthil hahaha! Disclaimer: Just having fun here and not giving up my 51 years of widowhood ever!

I needed the neck surgery because as the surgeon put it, "Faye you are one mild hit to the head away from total paralysis." Bone spurs inwards against my spinal cord due to being hit by a glance off my hardhat by a 300 lb overshot when the old driller fell asleep at the controls. Double shifting almost cost me my life. I had 4 vertebrae fused also which required two plates and 8 screws.

Before you asked if I would do it differently if I could, the answer is YES, yes I would. I would leave all the hard labor jobs to the "boys."

I was born on Nov. 1, 1950.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

When is the surgery? keep us posted on this.

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just got a call that immediately went to Voice mail. It was another Vehicle Warranty call, but kinda arrogant. "We've called you several times and left messages...I don't know why we haven't heard back from you. It's really important that you call back" in a persistent tone of voice.

I really wanna call and let them hear from me.

Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The surgery was done over 10 years ago. While currently, the disc below and above the large graft are suffering from the fusion, there are no spurs so surgeons' advice is to stop being stupid and doing jobs requiring neck strain. If they have to fuse more my neck will be immobile.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a rant mainly about rodeo guys and their bad English.

"And that is what we done." If they want to use the word done, then it should be "And that is what we have done." How about "And that was what we did?"

Seen and saw is another teeter-totter see-saw abuse of English. "Yep, that is what I seen." How about "Yep, that is what I saw" or "Yep, that was what I have seen?"

I graduated with a D- in English and it was only brought up from an F to get my HS diploma, but these two cases of abuse really grate on my sensitive girly girl nerves.

I could just turn off the TV, but I had rather rant about it. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Mute button ?

8. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

:(

Faye Fox likes this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Tried that but I read lips! :D:D:D

10. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

i guess you be S O L then;)

11. John Brunner

I agree 100%. It sets my teeth on edge. I can tell that my look offends them. But it's not just rodeo folk. I've worked with people like that, and you see it on the Cops shows a lot. It not only makes you wonder how they passed high school (I, too, squeaked by due to failing History grades), but you also wonder if they have never read a damned book or a damned magazine or a damned newspaper...or watched television...or heard others who speak properly.

Since I moved to this rural area, I've heard my share of "Him do that" and "How old your son is?" I try to not let it show on my face. It has nothing to do with character, and there are plenty of deceitful S.O.B.s who are well-spoken. But really????

I had a woman who worked for me who spoke like that (seems to be common in folks for certain regions of Pennsylvania), and she would get angry when I corrected her. But she chose a professional business career and could not succeed holding herself out like that...and it did not represent my department very well, either. It sounds hokey, but years later she contacted me and thanked me for what I did for her rather than just letting her slide. She knew it made a difference in how others saw her.

ps: There was a conversation like this on "the other forum" that got locked because people complained that feelings got hurt and it smacked of elitism.

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. John Brunner

Gee, what do sign language interpreters do? Do they cringe and force their fingers to say improper grammar? Inquiring minds want to know.

Yvonne Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know what interpreters done. All I know is what I seen. :p

14. John Brunner

If I ever meet one, I'll be sure to ax.

Faye Fox and Al Amoling like this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, my "rant" for today............such a terrible, terrible thing when law enforcement officers are being killed in the line of duty. One thing for sure, today, law enforcement is a very dangerous career and wife and I totally (100%) support law enforcement all over the United States.

Yvonne Smith likes this.