Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Leave it to Don to advocate for common sense!!! That's actually a great idea. For my daily use, one of those 3/8" air ratchets would do fine. Actually, my daily use is filling tires and blowing the dirt off of stuff.

Bobby Cole and Bruce Andrew like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, me too. My son the diesel mechanic has heavy duty stuff should I need it, but I am getting too old to do much really heavy stuff any more.

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

I keep harboring fantasies of doing small engine work again (I did it back in the 70s for an International dealer.) I wanted to take classes in small engine & diesel repair at the local community college, but COVID buggered everything.

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Now that I know what you're up to, were it me I would just hire it done. I've been fixing things since I was a little kid and I hate the thought of having to do it now.

Plus, with my arthritic hands, I'm limited to what I can do physically so that gives me a good excuse without admitting to being lazy or no longer interested. YMMV!

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sometimes when dealing with a tractor hiring it done may not be simple, as you might have to pay for the mechanic/technician to come to your property, or load the machine onto a truck or trailer and haul it somewhere. If John's tractor is a large one, that can be quite a big deal. Driving a tractor 15 miles down the road is not an easy thing to do.

6. John Brunner

I have a Kubota B3200 (32hp.) It's not a large tractor, probably considered to be a mid-sized hobby farm model.

[​IMG]

The Kubota tractor dealer for my region is about 25 miles away. Two year ago I had an issue with my backhoe, and their tech made the 50 mile round trip and spent about 1/2 hour here. They charged $25. I wondered how they could do it and stay afloat. I received a notice from them that's also plastered on their website and their front door: "Starting January 1, 2022 On-Site Trip Charge Will Be $100." My confidence in their survival just went up.

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It’s early and I’ve only finished my first cup of coffee but I’m thinking maybe I should go back to bed and start over in the dimension I belong in.
    The problem? I just heard a statement on the radio that I find hard to dissect.
    I do not know the context or who said it and to be truthful I heard it between gulps of coffee but it was on the radio so it must have been someone of noted stupidity.

The statement?
    “If you’re out there shooting people for no reason, then you don’t need to be on the streets”.

I guess it’s just another one of those things that make ya go, Huh?

8. John Brunner

There's a series of "Public Service Announcement" type commercials with a young cop on a variety of subjects: Protect yourself while shopping; Talk to your kids, etc. One of them is about owning a gun. He's chock-full of hyperbole, and flies in the face of facts. (The facts being that as gun ownership increases, crime and accidents fall absolutely and continue to plummet relatively, 'cept for the "guns are illegal" Democrat sewers.) Then he talks about not carrying if you don't take the time to sufficiently practice at the range.

Well, the dirty little lie is that the vast majority of the carry-a-gun-for-a-living cops never go to the range...EVER!!! (Police trade-ins are great buys because they have never been used...there's just slight holster wear.) They may have to re-qualify at the range once a year, and then they never touch their guns until the next year's requirement...yet the rest of us need to "rethink our actions" if we don't have the time.

9. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

these "newscasters" get paid to be more stupid every day! I think they ought to bring back the guillotine. Maybe these shooters should stay in and shoot their families or roomies hey??

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. John Brunner

That broadcast was a "Public Service Announcement" under a spend-more-money "Stop Crime" bill whose only success is the number of dollars put in the pockets of politicians, their families and their close supporters. The kind of stupidity that Bobby heard usually comes from a well-connected person's cousin who has never worked in the field of media in their lives....but they got a nice-sized check.

I see it on PSAs here. They look like someone's high school Communications class project.

Denise Evans and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I am with you on the losing interest thing. Shameful admission is I haven't worked in my studio/shop for two years because of a lack of motivation and interest. When my new dishwasher comes in a few days, I hope that installation is my last. While I don't foresee any problems, I bet something has to be modified or something other than just hooking up the water line and drain and plugging it in. It is easier to sit and play computer and cause hate and discontent worldwide. :D Amazing the power one old lady has with a computer on her lap. :)

12. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't help but feel I'd be much better off struggling with things going wrong in a home of my own. Here, everything is done by maintenance men, and I can honestly say, I don't have enough responsibility. Being busy is healthy, and when I have been busy with one thing or another, I feel so damn good!! I also have to say that some days, I'm so glad I "don't" have to fix something ;) I bought tools so I could do things around here that are ok with the manager. I've also bought some things from Amazon that I could put together myself, projects. I guess it just depends on my mood ;)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I understand.
    Self esteem comes from many avenues.
    For one person it comes from finishing off a New York Times crossword puzzle and for others it means climbing Mt. Everest and still others it can come from nothing more than fixing a leaky faucet.

Some days I feel like working with my hands and some days I don’t. Some days stuff can wait and some days I won’t let stuff get undone.
    I always feel good when I accomplish something but there are days when I feel happy just doing nothing but perfecting the art of procrastination.

Have a job, large or small, do it well, or not at all. (That includes taking a nap)

Denise Evans likes this.
  14. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Faye: Since I was a little kid I was obsessed with taking things apart to see how they work, then put them back together. That progressed into cars, motorcycles, etc. It was "fun" and the challenge always motivated me. That obsession started to fade when I got into my mid- late-50s.

I had to do a 20-minute simple fix on my lawnmower last fall and I hated every minute of it, ha.

In January 2019 I bought a new fixture for my bathroom sink. It still sits in the box. My old one still works ok, but the base is getting rusty. I kept putting it off because the thought of crawling around on my back like a flipped turtle, then having to get up numerous times to get a forgotten tool, made it very easy to put off the job.

So last summer I asked my buddy's kid (43) if he'd do it and I would pay him. "Sure." But I gave up after asking numerous times, and especially after his father told me "good luck."

So I called a local plumber (with a good reputation) probably in September-October, left him a message and that I would pay him cash, but he never called back.

Since then I've asked two other (younger) guys I know very well, offered cash, but the fixture still sits in the box.

I can still do it physically, but I simply don't want to. So, here we are.

Good luck with the dishwasher! :D

Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

That was my story until the kitchen faucet got so bad, I had to get under the counter, twist and use one arm to remove the old one, and then crawl out and then back in to install the new one. My neck doesn't twist much due to sporting a lot of titanium so that was torture for me. Also, I have positional vertigo that adds some interesting flavor to the soup of old age. Such positions can make me sick with headaches for days. One of my fake great-nephews was going to come over, but something was always coming up, so after two months of waiting I took the faucet by the neck and thanks to their fancy plastic deep socket put some serious twist on its nut. Working in a tight place under a deep single sink is not an old has-been babe's (I take the liberty to flatter myself) favorite pastime. The last time I called a plumber, it was $300 for 15 minutes of work. Never again!

Don Alaska and Bruce Andrew like this.