Any Musicians?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Faye Fox, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Just wondering how many musicians are on the forum. What instrument/s do you play, how long, and what genre of music? I once played anything with strings on it, but now just nylon 6 string guitar. Mostly Spanish, blues, folk, old rock, some country, and contemporary in a classic flamenco style. Age has taken its toll on my hands and attitude, so doing a lot simpler technique and tunes these days. This morning I decided to learn "Mary Had A Little Lamb," and spice it up Stevie Ray Vaughn style.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oooh you'll get Hal..for sure!! I think he plays just about every instrument there is ... :D

I don't play any instrument now, but at school I played cello.. and as an adult I've dabbled with piano.. but that's it..

My daughter plays Acoustic & Bass Guitar, ( she's very good)... and several woodwind instruments!!

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I managed OK with keyboard, but had to give up trying due to arthritis :rolleyes:
    Used to love being in the studio putting down my own tracks - aah those 'were' the days :cool:
    Would love to hear your version of 'Mary, with her lamb' ………..

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Drums. Classic Rock and some Oldies, but those days are long gone. Do enjoy listening to a good drum solo, like Iron Butterfly did in In A Gadda Da Vida and Chicago done in I'm A Man

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Growing up I ran around with a group of musicians. A dukes mixture of string players
    used in country music mostly, but folk and some rock, and bluegrass back before it
    was called bluegrass. The reason I was included, my cousin was among the group
    and I help carry his stuff. I wanted to play so badly, couldn't, making music was too far
    gone for my meager abilities. But I do know what you mean by messing around with
    songs. I had cousins that played instruments, my brother played, my son put himself
    through six years of college making music, playing pedal steel guitar,sax, guitar and
    bass. His son knows no bounds in his musical ability, it seems. I look on but I'm still
    dumb. Yet, I admire those who can play well, regardless of genre. I admire thosen who
    try. I also remember the first song I ever heard jazzed up or rather 'bluegrass up." It
    was Amazing Grace, back in the forties.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders What style does your daughter play? The electric bass is getting popular with Spanish groups, especially the rumba groups.
    @Patsy Faye I used to enjoy recording and doing videos mainly for my own use. Last pro studio work I did was 45 years ago. Arthritis will sure put a damper on playing piano or strings. My hands suffered a lot of damage, including being broken, from my profession as a carpenter as well as ranch work, especially during extreme cold. I am lucky they work at all. I will see if I can do a cell video of Mary H.A.L.L. I just do a very short intro for fun. Nothing impressive.
    @Cody Fousnaugh that cool. You no doubt did the drum solo to Wipeout, Ventures style. I use to like playing In A Gadda La Vida as a guitarist, because I could take an extra long bathroom break during the drum solo ha ha ha! That tune was a guitarist girl's best friend, especially when the drummer tries get in the Guinness book of records.
    @Bill Boggs I am not and never was "musically inclined". No natural talent. I loved playing so I worked learning to read music (we had some of it in school) and worked ten times as hard and long as the average kid. My parents were told after just one lesson in piano, I was tone deaf and as unmusical as one can be. I tried accordion, violin, banjo, and finally guitar with the same one lesson rejection. Not worth their money or the teachers time. I loved guitar and so I learned by reading music and technical repetition until my ear was trained to recognize scales and chords. I worked with studio musicians that could hear a technical tune once and play it back perfectly. Such would take me several hours.

I pulled all my YouTube videos last fall. I will see if I can find some old audio files of interest and make a short video of something if anyone is interested.

7. Holly Saunders

Registered

Faye my daughter has played Guitar since she was 8 years old... she plays Rock music... and when she was a teen she and her band had a number 2 hit in the local charts!!

8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

@Faye Fox
    While I never learned to play anything, I did, after several years retirement,
    pick up a diatonic harmonica and learned to play it. Taught lessons at
    Methodist Hospital during a four month Pulmonary Rehabilitation Course for
    mostly seniors who had some lung disease. The guitar and the harmonica go
    hand in glove when done right. Since that time I have worked to perfect what
    I do with the harmonica. I have listened to many harp players but I have
    studied Mickey Raphael. He and Buddy Green are the melodic players around
    in my opinion.

I have since learned the Echo harp, and the chromatic harmonica, although
    not as proficient with either, as with the diatonic.

Enjoyed your comments on musical instruments. Somebody mentioned it, and
    I expect @Hal Pollner plays guitar, and probably several other instruments well.
    Too bad we can't have a session once in a while.

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

@Hal Pollner has a beautiful Piano, among many other musical instruments in his home..we've seen the pictures..

Faye Fox and Bess Barber like this.
  10. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@ Fay Fox Stevie Ray Vaughan!!!!!!! I could watch him for HOURS! One of the finest guitarists ever on the planet!
    This is for fun when you get time. :)

Patsy Faye and Faye Fox like this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders Age 8 is awesome. I was about 11. @Bill Boggs Awesome on the harmonica. That's great using it for therapy. It was the first thing I tried to learn and could do a few tunes with the little book that came with the Hohner marine Band. Later learned a bit of blues, but never good enough for any public playing.

12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

No over dubbing or effects of any kind. Recorded on a low quality digital recorder.
    Based on Henry Mancini's Pink Panther theme. Solo fingerstyle nylon string guitar.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Bill Boggs, Nancy Hart and Patsy Faye like this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Better than I could do Faye so anyone that can manage a guitar is tops with me
    I can hear from the demo, you like flamenco style - I do too, there are some brilliant street guitarists on You Tube

Faye Fox likes this.
  15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Nancy Hart and Patsy Faye like this.