Any Classical Music Fans?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jenn Windey, May 2, 2015.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

LOL...Yeah. My music teacher kinda preferred that I learn both treble and bass clefs. Rather a persnickety curmudgeon for insisting on technicalities.................:)

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes...I like almost all kinds of music. Classical is what I pick to chill out and wind down. Most of what you listed..also I
    like Paul Potts and Susan Boyle.

Holly Saunders and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks, Gloria!

Many don't realize that not all Classical Music consists of Symphonies, which stand for nothing but the music itself.

There is also "Program Music" which tells a Story, paints a Picture, or represents an Adventure, also using the resources of a large symphonic orchestra.

One of my favorite program pieces is the "Grand Canyon Suite" by Grofe, which begins with the break of dawn over the Painted Desert and the Grand Canyon, then is interrupted with a Cloudburst, increasing in violence and intensity, (with Lightning Bolt sounds from the orchestra), and finally calming down to the famous "On the Trail" mule ride movement, which is known throughout the world and was even used in advertizing Philip Morris cigarettes!

Another program piece is "In the Hall of the Mountain King" from the Peer Gynt Suite by Greig. Kids around the world love this, because it suggests an unseen monster stalking a tourist in a Cave, who speeds up when the tourist speeds up, and finally catches the tourist, which is a musical shock!

A beautiful, but violent program piece is Tchaikovsky's "Romeo and Juliet Overture", which has one of the most beautifully romantic love themes in all music, but then deteriorates into the conflict between the Montagues and Capulets, building to a mighty, violent climax, after which the love theme returns, and finally ends in the death of the lovers.

The famous "William Tell Overture" is known by nearly everyone as the "Lone Ranger Music", but this is only the Finale. The piece begins with the break of dawn, with the sweet sounds of the Forest, then a Storm appears, growing in intensity until it suggests a Hurricane! After it calms down, we hear the peaceful countryside once more, which is suddenly pierced by trumpets, announcing the well-known Finale!

I would like to suggest hearing these pieces by selecting them from YouTube.

Thanks for listening,
    Hal

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Bill Boggs likes this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I am most ignorant when it comes to cLassical music. I do listen to some classical on YouTube. The only album I have left from a dozen or so classical albums once in my library is one by Antonin Dvorak from his New World Album: SYmphon No. 9 in E minor, Op 95, by London Sympony Orchestra, Eugene Ormany, directing. Also
    symphony in Strings in Emajor, Op 22.

All the others I threw out in a bout of depression or anger, along with a hundred or so country and jazz album back in the days when a stereo unit was my only source. I don't pocess any musical knowledge.. Did enjoy your comments.

Hal Pollner and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Hal Pollner

Registered

Thanks, Bill!

Yes, Dvorack's "New World" Symphony (No. 9) is also one of my favorites.

Dvorack was a Czech composer, and several themes in his New World opus are folk tunes from his country.

The beautiful "Goin' Home" theme is one of the loveliest ever composed, and reaches the heart.

I'll help you with anything you want to know about Classical Music, Bill!

Hal
    562.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Lois Winters and Holly Saunders like this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks, Hal. Going home has been my favorite, also?

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh I'm a huge music fan, I have very eclectic tastes... but when it comes to classical I'm not really up to speed ... I'm a member of the ''know what I like, and like what I know'' brigade.... usual suspects like Pachebel 's Canon in D major , Bach's Adagio... Schuberts' serenade , Verdi's La Traviata ,

...and my adored piece by...
    Cortázar...not quite the deep soul searching Classical music of the true fans or musicians, but like I say I enjoy what makes me happy...

Hal Pollner likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

As a true "Rocker" of Classic Rock and my wife a true "Motown" and "Oldies" lady, Classic Music would be boring to us. IOW, "no thanks".

9. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Don't be so sure!

Hal Pollner and Holly Saunders like this.
  10. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I've always liked this one used in some of the old horror movies.

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Cavatina - London Philharmonic Orchestra

12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I like classical music if it has words. :D

Prelude, Opus 28, No.20, in C Minor - Chopin

Barry Manilow - Could it Be Magic - 1973 .(lyrics by Adrienne Anderson, arrangement by Manilow)

Lois Winters likes this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Registered

Schubert? You got it, Man!:) Schubert's Symphony #8 (the "Unfinished"), and Schubert's Serenade.

Great melodies in the 2 movements of the 8th!

I have lots of recommendations of Classical works you'll enjoy! I'll give you a few in a later post if you're interested.
    Hal

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You are quoting a post that was written in 2015, by a person who has not been here in over four years, @Hal Pollner . It is not likely that you will get a response from her.

15. Hal Pollner

Registered

Oh...that's too bad.

Hal
    067.jpg