Any Campers Here?

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Marie Mallery, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

LOL yea the tent lie has always been around. But they are easier now then before.
    Now they have beds too, we got 2 of these Bed In A Bag, sleep fine on them.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Camp...refix=Coleman+Airbed+twin,aps,180&sr=8-4&th=1

[​IMG]

2. Marie Mallery

Registered

One of our favorite camping is this park on the beach in St.Augustine,its a state park plus we get senior resident discount.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I camped for years but don't any more. Wife has never enjoyed it but tolerated it when we had a pop-up Apache and lived in south Georgia. We used to go to the panhandle beaches every other weekend. While my boys were in Scouts, we camped every month somewhere even through the winter in a tent or sometimes without.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

I bet that was fun and they will remember it,I never slept without shelter but know boys like it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I grew up going camping , and I have always loved it !
    My mom and dad and Grandpa Bailey went to some different little lakes way back in the north Idaho mountains almost every weekend in the summer. Mom would make fried chicken and potato salad, and stock up on other foods we would later cook over the campfire.
    We didn’t have a tent along usually, although they did have an old canvas tent that I think was probably an army tent at some point. Usually, I slept on the ground in my sleeping bag , with an air mattress, and so did my dad. My mom always took her hammock along and she slept in that , although it was hard for her getting in and out of her sleeping bag in the hammock.
    Grandpa Bailey slept in the front seat of his car, so he probably had the softest place to sleep of any of us.

We fished and camped all weekends, and mom cooked the fish over the campfire, as well as a wonderful breakfast of pancakes, bacon and eggs and campfire coffee. She had a special set of plastic plates/cups that were divided and held the drink cup in the middle; so it was easy not to spill when you were carrying it.
    I remember some little critters running across my sleeping bag at night, which scared me, and I was sure they were actually a bear. I would holler and mom would look and tell me that it was safe, and just some little animal, and to go back to sleep.

Marie Mallery and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

We camped when I was a child and I couldn't understand why my mom didn't enjoy it. I mean, here my dad and I would head out on adventures and she'd get to stay back with the toddlers/babies, trying to keep them away from the poison ivy and poisonous berries and out of the lake and the fire, while dealing with pit toilets and one spigot for the whole campground and cooking over a fire.

We had an old heavy canvas Army tent that leaked and stunk, old cots that collapsed in the middle of the night, and it always rained.

In later years, my mother's idea of "roughing it" was to stay anywhere that didn't have valet parking.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Living in the mountains and 10 years off the grid was a lot like camping. As a kid and teen in Colorado, it was great to get off the ranch now and then and backpack to lakes above timberline and catch the large native trout. During my early 20s in Montana, I lived in a tent for 8 months near a guest ranch where I worked as a wilderness survival guide and handywoman. Those 3-day survival trips with just basic gear, made tent living look plush hahaha!

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I love camping out and roughing it at nice motels and luxury hotels with clean sheets and great food

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Most light tents don't mean much in winter unless they have a stove or some other source of heat. My oldest sons were real tough guys and would throw a tarp down at -10 and just sleep there. If it got colder than that, they would construct a snow cave and sleep in that. I wasn't as tough as they were, and I used a tent mostly for privacy.

Faye Fox and Marie Mallery like this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

The coldest we were in our tent was 13F. We were on the ground with 2 of our grand babies in N.Ga. We were working on house site and didn't realize how cold it was going to be. Hubby kept one on his chest all night she was just 3 at the time.We were stuck car broke down.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Georgia has many very nice places to camp.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ah, yes. Camping. As a child in rural Idaho, the family did quite a bit of tent camping.. I spent two summers on a forest service lookout on top of a mountain, if that's considered to be camping.

Wife and I did considerable tent camping when we lived in Louisiana. We drove to the Florida panhandle to camp on the beach, even when our sons were toddlers.

More recently, a decade ago we bought a travel trailer and traveled considerably, including in Canada. When we sold the trailer 5 years ago, the pickup we pulled it with showed 18 thousand miles towing, Wherever we camped, we toured the area with the vehicle, which showed over 90 thousand. A year after we sold it, we decided that we hadn't had enough, so we bought a motor home, which had 23,000 miles on it when we sold it a month ago. I could write volumes about advantages and disadvantages of travel trailers vs. motor homes.. I could also write about how much campsites for trailers and motor homes have changed in a decade. A decade ago it was possible to take off and easily find space at a campsite. Today one has to make reservations months in advance. Most state parks have cabins, so wife, who usually makes the reservations, has made a few for next year. So yes, we like camping.

Faye Fox and Marie Mallery like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

In some areas sites are booked for up to 3 years in advance.More people are living on the road now than eve before.
    We used this site for info when we were traveling.Many of the members live on the road at the site and it has all kinds of info on RVs,Campsites ,etc..

https://www.irv2.com/forums/

Faye Fox likes this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Registered

They have a forum at the IRV2 site and humans just can't get along in neiborhoods or on the road,lol. One of them is complaining about camper next to them smoking.:rolleyes: I still go there sometimes and see what they are up to. Maybe they would be happier in the wlderness camping. What use to get to me is those who burnt their waste in campfire ring and left it smoldering all night long. I never did smell cigarrett smoke though.:)

15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have camped and enjoyed it. It provided funny stories. My old barnhouse is a lot like camping but indoors--raised sleeping bag, wood stove, roof....