Another Diy Project

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Von Jones, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@John Brunner

Same idea, different cartridge lengths, but .44 Special is a pretty potent round compared to .38 Special. I don't like the usual "knock-down" comparisons thrown out by all the experts, but believe any caliber used successfully to defend one's life of that of others is worth it's weight!

Frank

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree 100%. Over the decades I've read tons of articles and opinions. The idea that a 9MM is sufficient if the other guy has a .22, but you're woefully "outgunned" if he's got a .40 is silly...the efficacy of the 9MM does not change.

In my opinion, no one wants to get shot. Very few bad actors are gonna keep charging after they've been hit. "Knock down power" to me is mostly important if the bad guy is high on meth. In that case, you better bring an elephant gun.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. John Brunner

Registered

Just about done:

Firewood rack 4.jpg

Ninety six linear feet x five foot tall of firewood storage​

I have enough spare lumber to build another 16 linear feet, but I'm not sure I'll need it. And what I have makes nice use of the space, while leaving access room for trucks to unload/load right at the edge of every rack.

All I have left is to fashion some covers (I'll cut down a 16' tarp into narrow widths and put in grommets), and buy some wood. Next winter I'll have a full supply of seasoned wood.

4. John Brunner

Registered

So now I'm about 90% finished. I need to complete the rear set of racks, but they are a little more complex because one row is being used for kindling and the bric-a-brac you always receive with a load of wood, while the other will have regular firewood stacked on it. I've lined one stretch of it with chicken wire so the small stuff does not fall through. I then need to do a little more organization and put a roof frame & tarp on it. Then I'm building a pressure treated stand I can cut kindling on. The stump I was using rotted away.

Here are the 2 main racks completed:

FIrewood roof 2 racks.jpg

The roofs are made from a 16' x 12' tarp I cut in half to make (2) 16' x 6' tarps. I folded over the cut ends, ran Gorilla tape down the entire cut seam, installed grommets, and then lashed the tarps together from underneath to form a roof:

Firewood Roof Done 2.jpg

It's been very windy the past 2 days. They have not budged an inch. I can't move them no matter how hard I tug. I think they'll last a very long time.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.