An Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Laura Jones, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Laura Jones

Laura Jones Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi there,
    I’ve been encouraged to introduce myself and so here goes…. I’ve been retired for 3 years now and I’ve moved permanently from Nevada to the great State of Florida, I keep busy with a variety of activities including reading, watching movies and cooking. I’m a simple, sincere person and strive to be gentle and honest….I’m glad to have found this forum…

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome to the forum, @Laura Jones ! We enjoy threads on just about every kind of topic, and nothing is off-limits as long as it is presented tastefully; so check out whatever topics interest you , and start new ones if you want to do that.
    I am one of the greeters here, so if you have any questions, I am glad to help out.

I am a North Idaho transplant, now living in Alabama, and we have people here from all over, including several others from Florida. Which part of Florida did you move to ?

3. Laura Jones

Registered

Thanks Yvonne, we now live in Bradenton, Florida, we considered moving to Idaho for retirement but decided this climate would be better at this stage in our lives….how do you like living in Alabama?

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, HELLO from northern Colorado! I see, Laura, you are a later Baby Boomer. We are both early Boomers being that I'm 72 and wife is 73. We moved back to Colorado after spending 10 1/2 years in northeastern Florida aka Jacksonville. Actually, for us, we shouldn't have lived there as long as we did. We wound up missing the Rocky Mountains, elk and other mountain wildlife, rodeo action, lakes for boating/fishing and seeing farm/ranch stuff. Colorado isn't for everyone, just like Florida isn't.

Yes, we have winters, but we already knew what we were moving back to before leaving Florida. Last March, we had 30 inches of snow (blizzard conditions) right in the apartment complex we live in. My wife has a "home job", so we didn't have to go out in the snow anyway.

Anyway, welcome!

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Alabama is a yes and no answer for me, @Laura Jones . I appreciate the longer summers and milder winters with no hip-high snow to shovel for months of the year.
    However, I miss the beautiful blue-blue skies we had in north Idaho, and the weather, except for all of the snow.
    The air here is really humid, summer and winter; but much worse in the heat of summer, and it is very hard for me to breathe.
    Whenever I go back home to Idaho and Washington, I can breathe SO much better, and everything is beautiful, and I do not want to go back to Alabama when it is time to leave.

In the fall, we had the county fairs, which I loved, and trail-riding with my horse, which I miss most of all. Here, we live in the city, and there is just none of that easy small-town camaraderie, where everyone waves and says hi to each other.
    But, I am close to the hospital if I need that, and have wonderful doctors; so there is good and bad on both sides of the equation for me.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Laura Jones likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome to the forum!:):cool:
    Welcome from Florida ,we like the north east part of Florida. Not Jax though its too full of crime. Here we have lots of people that mind their own biz and exspect others to do the same.,:D.Live and let live mostly.Hope you enjoy our state.

Laura Jones likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hello Laura and welcome from Houston.

Laura Jones likes this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Yay Bradenton! My folks moved there and stayed till they passed on. Good place for mature kids.;) I am in Wisconsin from whence they fled the winters.

10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Laura Jones

As a former Nevada resident, now living across the river in Arizona, I wonder why you left for Florida? My wife and I no longer tolerate the sticky, wet humidity we grew up in, Chicago, and Northern Indiana, preferring the dry Desert.

Frank

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome from sunny and hot North Carolina, Laura. We are getting a cool down this week.

• THU
      [​IMG]
      PARTLY CLOUDY
      83°/ 59°

Mostly sunny to partly cloudy and much cooler and less humid. We could see a stray shower, but most of you will stay dry. Highs in the low - mid 80s.

[​IMG]
      • SUNRISE
        6:47 a.m.
      • PRECIP
        20%
      • WIND
        Northwest 10 mph
    • FRI
      [​IMG]
      MOSTLY CLEAR
      82°/ 59°

• SAT
      [​IMG]
      MOSTLY CLEAR
      86°/ 64°
    I love fall.

Don Alaska and Laura Jones like this.
  12. Laura Jones

Registered

We love the beach life and the humidity as well, I can breathe much more easily in this type of climate, hubby and I lived in the high desert for over 25 years but every chance we had we traveled to Florida for vacation and just decided to make it permanent as we loved it so much, I wake up every day and can’t believe that we’re here….

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Welcome from Virginia, Laura. I "got retired" at age 60 seven years ago and was in a position where I did not have to pick up the pieces and start another job, although I tried and discovered that 45 years of working was plenty.

I spent most of my live in the northern part of the state right outside of DC, and am now about 100 miles southwest of there in a rural--but not isolated--part of the state.

Congrats on retiring to a place that puts a daily smile on your face!!! I've been on this forum just over a year. Lots of interesting folks and conversations, with a sprinkling of "it's just the internet" thrown in. ;)

Laura Jones likes this.
  14. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Welcome Laura

Laura Jones likes this.
  15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Laura,
    Welcome from LONG ISLAND NY, I lived in Brooklyn until I graduated high school, then my family moved to Long Island. LI is similar to Florida with the humidity, beaches, and fishing, but the winters are much colder. I'm Retired for 15 years.
    I enjoy reading the views on the forum and occasionally adding my two cents, I hope you will find it a comfortable place to express your views, as I have.
    Tony

Beth Gallagher likes this.