Alfred Hitchhiking

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Joe Riley, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks to @Denise Happyfeet , I found the first three seasons of Alfred Hitchcock Presents on the Roku Channel.

Denise Evans likes this.
  2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh that's great Joe!! There are some goodies there for sure! I didn't know about ole hitchcock presents being on there, so thank you!! Denise ;)

3. Denise Evans

Registered

Hey @Joe Riley I hadn't thought of this before to "search" for shows, where they are streaming, but Alfred came up so I'm sure a lot of our old faves would also pop up and let us know where they are playing!! Hope this screenshot turns out good enough to see clearly ;) When you click on the show, and "mouse" down just a little it lists the smartTV channels the show is playing on, and, which Seasons are playing!! The website is called Justwatch.com ;) Denise

upload_2021-11-14_7-2-29.png

Joe Riley likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks, Denise!:)

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Hitchcock: He Always Did Give Us Knightmares
    Roger Ebert January 02, 1980
    [​IMG]
    Psycho and The Birds director Hitchcock turned down a CBE in 1962, but accepted a knighthood just before he died.

"Sir Alfred Hitchcock, Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire, was not giving interviews Monday. His office at Universal Studios said Sir Alfred would, however, have a press conference at 11:30 a.m.Thursday, "after official confirmation has been received."

"How typical of Hitchcock, to wait until he was sure. Knighthood conferred Monday by Queen Elizabeth was long overdue for the most distinguished director in British film history".

"To be knighted by the queen is, of course, the highest honor that can come to a British commoner (and Hitchcock, son of a greengrocer, has always been ferociously a commoner). The actual knighting ceremony will take place later this year, and Hitchcock expects to travel to England so that Queen Elizabeth can tap him lightly on both shoulders with a sword. It is a tribute to our macabre expectations for anything involving Hitchcock that the mental picture of Sir Alfred being tapped by a sword summons up fantasies in which Elizabeth then seizes the sword in both hands and...":eek:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    Denise Evans likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Hitchcock's most familiar film is probably "Psycho" (1960), with its famous scene in which Anthony Perkins stabs Janet Leigh to death in a shower. The scene inspired one of Hitch's most famous exchanges with a viewer, "Dear Mr. Hitchcock," the fan wrote, "after seeing 'Diabolique," my daughter was afraid to take a bath. Now she has seen 'Psycho' and Is afraid of the shower. What should I do?"

Hitchcock's reply: "Take her to the dry cleaners."

Denise Evans likes this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

She was TOO SUGGESTIVE with her conversation in "NORTH BY NORTHWEST" & was told to redo it!

Denise Evans and Nancy Hart like this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Cary Grant
    was a British-American actor known for his transatlantic accent and famous for acting in Notorious (1946), To Catch a Thief (1955), and North By Northwest (1959). He was one of the most famous men in Hollywood and classic cinematic history.

Consideration for James Bond. Bond producer Albert R. Broccoli was a close friend of Grant's and was the best man at his wedding. In the early 1960's when the Bond series was rolling around with their first film, Grant was the first person producers considered to play as the first James Bond because of his role as Roger Thornhill in Alfred Hitchcock's North By Northwest.

Terence Young maintained that he talked up Cary Grant and that the star was interested in playing James Bond. The only problem was that Grant would do one picture and did not want to be tied down to a multi-picture deal. Cary Grant’s price was also prohibitive as his superstar salary did not jibe with the modestly budgeted Dr. No (1962).

Age also was a factor. Cary Grant was in his late 50’s by the time that James Bond was being cast. One film may have been possible, but an ongoing series was unlikely.

He started his acting career in the early 1930's then later became good friends with director Alfred Hitchcock, who was considered to direct the 007 film series but declined. Grant became a US Citizen in 1942 after several years staying in America. He retired from acting at the age of 62. Then Grant received five Golden Globe Award for Best Actor nominations in 1979. Grant had died in 1986 in Iowa.[1]

Nancy Hart likes this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Over at the endlessly fascinating Letters of Note, they have a telegram from Ian Fleming to Eric Ambler, asking Ambler to see whether his friend Alfred Hitchcock might be interested in directing the first Bond flick. Hitch was busy with Psycho, so the answer was no, but isn’t it something to imagine?

You can read the whole telelgram at Letters of Note. In part, it reads:

"WOULD HITCHCOCK BE INTERESTED IN DIRECTING THIS FIRST BOND FILM IN ASSOCIATION WITH XANADU QUERY PLENTIFUL FINANCE AVAILABLE STOP"
    [​IMG]
    Ah, yes. Plentiful finance. Those were the days.

Denise Evans likes this.
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Merry Christmas from Alfred Hitchcock

Denise Evans likes this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

This image of Alfred Hitchcock taken in 1973 was a turning point in Albert Watson’s career. In fact, Albert believes “It is the most important shot I ever did because it was a confidence builder.”

How to prepare a Christmas Goose:eek:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    Denise Evans and Nancy Hart like this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

I so remember this one Joe (To Catch a Thief). I do find myself, still, watching for Alfred to show up in movies I've seen over and over, LOL!!

Joe Riley likes this.