Alfred Hitchhiking

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Joe Riley, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Which year 1955 or1965 ?

2. Janice Lynne

Janice Lynne Well-Known Member
    Registered

That was in1955. Born at the end of 1950, so I'm not even sure if we had television yet when Hitchcock began to air!

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

I seem to rememebr our first tv being a toddler just staring at the black screen.Not sure why rhat is such a vivid memory.I'm a year older than you.

Janice Lynne likes this.
  4. Janice Lynne

Registered

That's funny!

I remember seeing a thing that made a hissing noise and had flickering lights, and probably not long afterwards seeing an inside full of narrow tubes and a guy tinkering around with them mysteriously.

Also scary was the robot-thing in the basement --- or at least that's what the printed diagram stuck to the side looked like to me. Didn't help that when I pointed at the diagram and asked my mom what that was, she'd answer, "That's what's inside the furnace."

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  5. Janice Lynne

Registered

But back to Alfred!

I've just now looked into it, and the anthologies that I probably found most unnerving might have been Stories Not for the Nervous, and Stories That Scared Even Me.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Hitchcock was one of the first shows on tv once it became popular or affordablre to most Americans,

"
    The Rise of a New Medium
    By 1940, there were only a few hundred televisions in use in the United States. With radio still dominating the airwaves—more than 80 percent of American homes owned one at the time—TV use grew slowly over the course of the decade, and by the mid-1940s, the United States had 23 television stations (and counting). By 1949, a year after the debut of the hit variety show Texaco Star Theater, hosted by comedian Milton Berle, the nation boasted 1 million TV sets in use.

By the 1950s, television had truly entered the mainstream, with more than half of all American homes owning TV sets by 1955. As the number of consumers expanded, new stations were created and more programs broadcast, and by the end of that decade TV had replaced radio as the main source of home entertainment in the United States. During the 1960 presidential election, the young, handsome John F. Kennedy had a noticeable advantage over his less telegenic opponent, Richard M. Nixon in televised debates, and his victory that fall would bring home for many Americans the transformative impact of the medium.

INVENTORS
    SARAH PRUITT
    Sarah Pruitt is a writer and editor based in seacoast New Hampshire. She has been a frequent contributor to History.com since 2005, and is the author of Breaking History: Vanished! (Lyons Press, 2017),which chronicles some of history's most famous disappearances.

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Janice Lynne likes this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"Revenge"

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Janice Lynne likes this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Janice Lynne

Registered

Of course I'm now going to have to go hunt down all these shows and watch them on YouTube all day!

Joe Riley likes this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

The whole list of episodes, with brief descriptions: . CLICK HERE

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    Janice Lynne and Joe Riley like this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe now we can place Alfred back on the "Rear Burner for awhile"!?:rolleyes::confused:o_O
    [​IMG]

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - Don't Come Back Alive

Synopsis
    "Frank and his wife Mildred are in need of cash as they are approach retirement. He thinks up a scheme where his wife will disappear for seven years. He will have her declared legally dead so that they can collect her insurance money. They set their plan in motion. A detective who thinks Mildred has been murdered promises to find the body and send Frank to prison. He relentlessly pursues Frank for seven years. Finally, two days before the seven-year time limit is up, Mildred reappears but emerges as a much changed woman. She doesn't want to be with Frank anymore and has only shown up for the money. Her enraged husband kills her. Frank buries her in the rose garden, then the next morning leaves to collect his money. The detective is waiting outside, and offers to hoe Frank's garden as it seems to be in disarray. Frank grimaces as we are left to believe the detective is about to find her body and charge Frank with murder. (TV.com)"

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered