Air Conditioner In Car

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Patsy Faye, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't know what a demister is but my Chevy has a defogger for both the front and back window.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I never heard of having to recharge the AC in a car. Is that a peculiarly British thing?

3. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I live in Arizona, so I guess not. When I was living in Hawaii the A/C seemed okay but once I moved to Phoenix area and the temps were >110, not so much. Recharging a 10 year old system is not unusual out here in the Sonoran Desert.

4. Shirley Martin

Registered

Why do you have to recharge it?

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Patsy Faye
    Don't be so bothered! All of us old-timers survived decades without air conditioning in our homes, much less cars. I was born in a hospital in July having no air conditioning at all, in Chicago, sweltering temperature and humidity be damned. Is that why I'm so looney? I imagine my poor Mother enduring labor amidst such beleaguering heat and humidity.

You are bothered by being bothered!
    Frank

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Because the gas runs out :p

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd assume there is a very, very slow leak. My system was still within acceptable parameters according to the gauge that came with the refrigerant, but was not at 100%. And when it's a 110+ outside, you need to be at the max. If I were still living in Ohio, I probably would not have bothered.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, just read online that...........the refrigerant (Freon, if it's still called that) should really never have to be recharged. When the A/C is on, it simply circulated thru the system, unless there is a leak. A lot of times, a leak, can be noticed on the ground, under the engine, when the vehicle is parked and A/C has been on. I thought the system had to be recharged yearly, but I was wrong.

Most people have their vehicle A/C checked each year before summer to make sure it is operating correctly, with no visible leaks. But, if at any time, your A/C starts blowing warm air, instead of cool-to-cold, there is definitely a problem with the system and it should be checked out for any leaks. If there is indeed a leak in the system, either get the leak fixed or sweat in the vehicle.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Problem is, at our age, vehicle A/C can be as important as home A/C. A/C does use up gas in a vehicle, but, depending on how hot and humid it is outside, vehicle A/C is a must for Seniors. Home A/C can be the same way. People can open windows, but that can allow outside hot air in. A ceiling or desk fan is also useful, but it can sometimes just rotate hot inside air around.

Basically, it's whatever a person can afford.

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Now I'm confused - are you saying there is 'no need' to have the air con gas renewed ?
    Doesn't it run out ? Does it last forever ?

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I just read that it recycles itself inside the system, UNLESS the system has a leak. Now, I suppose the refrigerant can get old and has to have some new put in, but that's it. IOW, the refrigerant doesn't evaporate, only leaks out. So, if your A/C isn't operating correctly, like blowing warm air out, then it needs to be checked for leaks. A qualified A/C place can test the system and tell you how much refrigerant you have in it. If the refrigerant is low, then (supposedly) there is a leak in the system.

The compressor in ours was bad and had to be replaced. We'd turn the air on and the fuse, controlling it, would blow.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  12. Patsy Faye

Registered

Thanks Cody - will let you know next week what the outcome is :)

13. Shirley Martin

Registered

Like I said, I have never heard of having to change the coolant in a car. I still have my DH's pickup truck and it's 21 years old. Coolant has never been changed. That AC gets cold enough to make frost form on the windows. JK :D

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

@Shirley Martin, we aren't talking about engine coolant here. We are talking about the air conditioner inside a vehicle which takes refrigerant to operate. You're getting engine coolant mixed up with the air conditioner. Two different things.

15. Shirley Martin

Registered

OK, I told y'all that I'm not a mechanic. :D I meant the Freon or whatever you call it. I don't think the coolant has been changed, either. I have my mechanic check it before the coldest weather sets in but, a far as I know, he has never changed it.