After We Are Gone, Is Anyone Interested In Who We Were And What We Did?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Wink Cummings, May 17, 2021.

1. Wink Cummings

Wink Cummings Active Member
    Registered

I found a website where I can leave an account of my life's journey. As I get older, my one regret is that I did not find out more about my relatives' lives. I am thinking current and future family members might appreciate knowing, for better or worse, what kind of person I was and how I navigated through life's obstacles. My question is, do you think it is worth taking the time to leave an account of one's life?

2. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

With our cremation, we have an online area to write about our life. We aren't doing the old "the good, bad and the ugly" thing, only the "good". Relatives don't want to read/hear about the "bad and ugly" version of a person's life.

As far as my relatives lives/history, I, personally, don't care about that. I know what my biological father was like and I'm darn glad I'm not like him!

4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

It might at least be useful to folks doing ancestry searches. They could dot all their i's and cross all the t's. Been there, done that. It can be frustrating.

So much of the online information that used to be in the public domain seems to have been bought up by companies who charge fees. If the website plans to charge people for the information, I'd pass it up.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Wink Cummings

Yes, it is worth it, IMO. BTW, welcome to the forum!

Frank

Wink Cummings likes this.
  6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I came to a love of genealogy too late in life to ask questions of those I would have wanted to.

My offspring have little-to-no interest in their ancestors. If they ever get interested, hopefully I will have left enough info for them. At least I had fun hunting the info down.....

Wink Cummings and Bill Boggs like this.
  7. Wink Cummings

Registered

Thank you for your responses. I guess the decision to create a permanent easy-to-find account of one's life is in direct correlation to the type of family life one has. Thankfully, all the relatives I met were super nice people. My oldest granddaughter has asked me to create my story page, so I have decided to do it. I will create the stories, she will add the pictures and a recording of my voice. She wants her children and her children's children to get to know me after I am gone. I feel a sense of satisfaction knowing that long after I'm gone, someone in the future may benefit from my experiences, and perhaps knowing my health issues, may even save their life. Otherwise, my life just becomes a name and two dates.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  8. Wink Cummings

Registered

Hi Mary,

I understand what you are saying. Until, recently, none of my eight grandchildren seem to care about their great-grandparents, but out of the blue, now two of them can't seem to get enough. One of them is very artsy and has fallen in love with my mother's paintings and wants to know everything about her. The other one is going to college out of town and has no family living close by. So, when she needs to get something off her chest, she pulls out her pictures of her great-grandparents and carries on a one-sided conversation with them. My take on leaving my life story is this. It wasn't until I was much older that I got interested in knowing more about my relatives. So perhaps after I am gone, an interested relative will be blown away to find my story which might help them better understand themself's and get through some tough times.

9. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi @Wink Cummings
    May I suggest a modicum of caution when you post your info online, just to the extent of maybe not including details like dates, addresses, companies where employed, etc that might be used by identity thieves, even after your demise? Those details could be included in a hard copy in a safe deposit box or home safe maybe, but I'd scrub them out of any online version. Having once being subject of an identity theft from an online posting, that was basically the advice given to me by the FBI agent who took my case report.

That said, I'd love to know what website you're talking about, if you care to share here or in a private message.

To answer your topic question, I think yes, descendants will eventually want to know, even if they seem uninterested know. I've been pleased by all the info I've been able to find on some ancestors I didn't even know I had until I got into genealogy. And more pleased when my kids wanted to hear my own life stories.

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It might be worthwhile for our own current-day purposes. That process may uncover things we can remediate or accomplish.

"The unexamined life is not worth living"
    -Socrates (purportedly)

11. Wink Cummings

Registered

Hi

Great advice! The website I am getting ready to use, allows me to make any or all of my content private, viewable only by family members I invite. In answer to your question, the site is familystorylibrary.com. The site was recommended by friends. Also, I like that the site does not rely on those popup ads. Instead, their policy says they rely on the one-time fee per personal web page and that they don't sell or give out personal information.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Wink Cummings ..welcome from Texas! And the yes, I think it is good to leave behind information they need and want. As for doing it online, use caution .

Wink Cummings likes this.
  13. Wink Cummings

Registered

Never thought of that. Nice observation!

John Brunner likes this.
  14. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks @Wink Cummings . Now that I see the site, I think I knew about it before and had forgotten. It looks familiar. Much appreciate your descriptions of it. Looks quite useful and really a nice gift to one's family.

15. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I’ll simply become an old ancestor in due time. The only ones who will care are close relatives
    and that will quickly wane. Occasionally someone. might asked whatever happened to old
    so and so. Oh, he died a while back. Some of his kids might still be around though.
    that’s about the extent of most of us.