African Grey Plucking

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Herb Durant, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Herb Durant

Herb Durant Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hello,

Looking for help with my African Grey, Rocky is about ten years old came to me after his original owner ( Female ) passed away I'm his second owner I don't have much history on him except that he was abused by men so it's taken awhile for him to accept me .
    The problem I'm having with him is the feather plucking the poor guy has no feathers left on his breast the vet can't
    find anything wrong with him just keeps taking my money
    Rocky has the best of everything lives like a king because of Covid I've been working from home so he is never alone for very long

Any suggestions

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's too bad. I gotta think the vet has discuss anxiety, but I don't know what you do about it.

How long have you had him?

ps: If you decide to put a contract out on those who abused him, I'd like to put in a bid.

3. Herb Durant

Registered

Hello,
    I've had Rocky for five years the best friend I've ever had says what I want to hear :) Just wish I could help him with the plucking .

4. John Brunner

So the vet said nothing about an anxiety issue? It's been a while since I've been around birds, but that's what I recall.

5. Herb Durant

Registered

Apparently African Greys only bond with one person in their life time he's missing his original owner .

6. John Brunner

Oh. Poor bird.

They are so smart, especially the greys.

7. Herb Durant

Registered

On the funny side of this story every morning around five his greeting is " what's going on want a beer " The lady taught him well :)

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

A coworker of mine inherited her father's African Grey when he died. The bird really freaked her out at first because it mimicked her father's "sounds"... throat clearing, mumbling, etc. She said it was weird hearing "her father" in the other room.

After a year or so, the bird would share her morning coffee and laid eggs in her shoes, so I suppose they finally bonded. :D

Sorry your AG is having issues. Maybe there are some forums where bird owners could share info with you.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Herb Durant

Registered

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Herb Durant

Registered

They should ban having these birds in captivity their life span can be eighty years or more they usually have an average of 12 owners in their life span the bird shelter in my area has over 100 birds needing a new home with covid they are running out of money and volunteers to care for these birds .

12. John Brunner

I was gonna voice a similar sentiment but did not know where you personally stood on the issue.

I think the relationship between humans and dogs & cats is symbiotic, but not so much with parrots. It's selfish to the point of cruelty.

13. Herb Durant

Registered

I agree Rocky was a rescue bird that I got talked into taking

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Was it Rocky, who talked you into it?

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

44 African Grey Parrot Facts (Complete Guide) Talkative Congo Grey Parrot (link)
    [​IMG]

A stray parrot was reunited with its owner in Japan after repeating its name and address at the local veterinary clinic that took it in, police said.

Police captured the red-tailed African Grey, Yosuke, earlier this month after a woman called to say it was sitting on a fence in her backyard near Tokyo.

The parrot was then handed over to the animal clinic to be cared for. It began by greeting people and singing popular children's songs, before repeating its name and address. Police matched the name with its owner, who was reunited with Yosuke earlier this week.The parrot had become lost two weeks ago after flying out of its cage in Nagareyama city, Chiba prefecture, near Tokyo.

"I'm glad I had taught him my address and name," the Daily Yomiuri newspaper quoted his owner as saying.

The African Grey parrot is considered one of the most intelligent birds and is said by experts to have the cognitive ability of a six-year-old.

Bobby Cole and Nancy Hart like this.