A Christmas Decoration Thread

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Denise Evans, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks @Ina I. Wonder, I like your decor, it's just the perfect touch. I hope next year is a bit easier on us both, as well as anyone else struggling. Brrr, stay warm up there. It's cold down here, but is probably colder still up there. Merry Christmas to you and Bobert, I hope it's a happy one.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

View attachment 15204
    Thank you very much for that compliment @Ina I. Wonder. All you have to do is look in your mirror to see pretty too. :)

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I love the black paper chain @Denise Happyfeet. I never would have thought to have used black for the project, but it's really lovely. If I ever get a real tree again, I might make some of that. I have what I call a corner tree. It's tallish (about 5') and thin, so it can fit well into a corner. It fits just right next to the loveseat and doesn't overlap the end of the staircase/hallway. I put up another tree yesterday. I now have three, and the 5' corner tree is the biggest of the three. The last one is tiny, and only has a strand of lights on it. I stuck it on the dresser in the bedroom, so I can see the lights when I'm in there reading or watching TV. I usually put a strand over the window in there and wrap them around the mini chandelier in front of the window, but that won't work very well with the insulating drapes, so I decided to use the little tree, instead. I'm happy with how cute it is, and it was no work at all.

Denise Evans likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_1276.JPG
    Here's our cozy Acadiana Cottage all dressed up for Christmas. :)

5. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds nice Diane! I am glad I got in the mood/spirit to put a few things around. I was sitting there lastnight thinking it would be hard when it comes time to take them down:( But I realize if the place was lit up like that year-round, I'd have nothing to look forward to as far as "fun" decorations each year;)

I have discovered I like lights, a lot, so decorating my soffit above cupboards in the kitchen, is a must with year-round items. And of course, some fairy lights. Also I've been searching for lamps that are truly attractive to me, that will give a nice ambience to my home;)

Babs Hunt likes this.
  6. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh this is adorable, I LOVE it, thanks for sharing Babs:)

Babs Hunt likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet Did you ever get the puppy you wanted?

If not, here's some virtual ones for you. th (5).jpg th (7).jpg
    Merry Christmas Denise! :)

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just wondering, does everyone know how a Nativity Scene is suppose to be set up?

I was getting my vision tested this past Monday and noticed that someone in the office set up the small Nativity Scene wrong. The DO that owns/runs this Practice is a Christian and goes to the same church we've gone to, but I seriously doubt he set this Nativity Scene up. Anyway, the way it's suppose to be is: Mary on the left of Baby Jesus (looking down at him) and Joseph on the right (looking down at him). The Wise Men, Kings, Shepard's, camels, sheep, and all others are out in front of the Manger looking at Jesus in the wooden crib. All websites that show the Nativity Scene, show it arranged this way.
    In our Nativity Scene, we have a Standing/Praying Angel that came with our set and we put her behind Baby Jesus.

In the DO's office, someone put two Wise Men in the Manger area behind Mary. Mary was turned looking away from Jesus.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think there is any set in stone way of how you have to set up the Nativity @Cody Fousnaugh but what you are describing is not how things are usually arranged. It could be that someone was up to mischief and "rearranged" things in the Doctor's office

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet I could not find any old Christmas pictures of when I was young with my family, but I did find this one of us and it probably somewhere around that time since my Uncle who had the camera would often come visit us during the Holidays.
    my family.jpg
    Only one of my siblings is missing in this picture...as she was in my Mom's womb at the time this picture was taken. :)

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

Nice Babs, my gramma was the one with the camera, and some were taken by my older brother that was learning photography:)

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I talked to my SIL this AM and explained how the Nativity Scene was set up and how, when looking at different websites, it is set up online. She agreed that his wasn't set up correctly for whatever reason. From every Nativity Scene I've seen in movies and displays in stores, it appears there is a correct way to set it up.

14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I certainly wouldn't want to get "legalistic" about something like this Cody. When my children were little I bought them a Nativity made for children (unbreakable) and they learned about Jesus' birth while playing with their Nativity while mine was set up and they could not touch mine. My children arranged theirs however they wanted with the cow sometimes looking down at Baby Jesus and Mary and Joseph of to the side talking with the Wise Men, etc. And I wouldn't have told them for anything in the world that they had to arrange their Nativity in a certain way. :)

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

For children, that's fine. But, I'm talking about adults, not children. Adults should know how certain things go. This isn't the Religious Forum, but I will say this, I would never go to church on Sunday morning wearing shorts and thongs, but have seen the younger generation doing that. I'm just Traditional, in some respects.