.44 Magnum Bore Less Than .43

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Hal Pollner, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, the bore of the mighty .44 Magnum actually measures .429, which is not even a .43 caliber, while the .45 Colt measures .454 !

Here's my Ruger Blackhawk which is in Colt .45 caliber.

I've fired .22's, .38 Specials, .357 Magnums, and .44 Magnums, but this Hogleg gives me the most pleasure!

Hal

006.JPG

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

.44 Mag is the weapon of choice up here, although I don't own one. All three of my sons who live in Alaska have at least one of them, and the one I like most is Taurus Tracker. #2 son has one and I find it to be the most accurate handgun I have ever fired. His wife has a .357 in the same model, but it shoots like crap. Youngest son has a Ruger, and my eldest son has both a Colt and a Ruger, I still like the Taurus best. .357 used to be the favored handgun here for Bush travel, but the .44 has surpassed it as availability of ammo in remote places increases. .454 Casull and the .460 S&W are around some, but the guys who own them don't practice much as their guns beat them up and ammo costs too much and isn't widely available.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

The .454 Casull is for Masochists.

Hal

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    Very, very nice! There is a legion of Ruger collectors who favor those single-action handguns, especially the earliest-produced, which had a few quirks decided to be safety-related. Also, I believe additional fastening screws were added to the "New Model". I had an "Old Model" Super Blackhawk, .44-Magnum, bought it at a pawn shop when I first moved out West. It could be rapid-fired by holding the trigger down, and "fanning" the hammer, a ridiculously stupid feat learned from the cowboy movies. The gun could fire before the cylinder locked in location, resulting in a large shaving of bullet material by the frame, thrown sideways very dangerously. That type of operation possibility was removed by Ruger in the New Model.

I would guess your Ruger is chambered for .45 Long Colt, as it is called, and the guns came from the factory with two cylinders, the second chambered for .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol).
    Frank

5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

My favorite handgun is my .357 Colt Python. I shoot 38 specials in it more often than 357s though.

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.