2nd Job Or Hobby That Paid You?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Did you ever had a second job, during the week, after your main job, or weekends if your first job was only weekdays?

For about two weeks, I worked as a Bouncer/Door Man for a nightclub I went to sometimes. I already had a 7AM to 3:30PM job and this other nightclub job was on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. Friday and Saturday nights were ok to work, but Thursday night, leaving the Club at 2 or 2:30 Friday morning, ended up getting to me. I'd only get about 3 1/2 hours of sleep after getting back to my rented room and getting back up at 6AM to be to my regular job at 7AM. I ended up quitting.

A number of years later, I had a second job, actually was self-employed and more like a hobby than a job. The hobby/job was in rodeo on the weekends. I worked in manufacturing and had every weekend off. Depending on how good my team roping partner and I were, we'd make some weekend money at local rodeos or jackpots that we went to. It was definitely more fun that working as a Bouncer/Door Man at a nightclub!

So, during your working years, did you ever have a 2nd job for extra income or a hobby that paid you an extra income?

2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

One summer I worked 11 PM to 7 AM at a box and container factory and then went across the street and unloaded freight cars for Del Monte from 8AM to 4 PM

3. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Adjunct teaching 1-3 courses per quarter was a second job when my full time work was private practice psychotherapy.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I did piece work in the evenings for extra money for my employer.

I used to do tax work on the side. I had maybe 10 clients for several years before it became too much of a burden.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@D'Ellyn Dottir

Where eagles dare?

Bright ones?

Frank

6. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

@Frank Sanoica, not sure what you are alluding to -- feel like I'm missing a joke I should get. LOL

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Well yes, I started working with the Open Directory Project, which was a volunteer project to create what was one of the first web directories, and the first major effort, and it has led to a few paid web directory jobs, including the one that Michelle and I have been doing for more than fifteen years now. For that matter, I started as a volunteer EMT and went on to work in pretty much every field of EMS, including serving as the program director for a state college EMT program and being part owner of a private ambulance company.

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@D'Ellyn Dottir

No, not a joke, and sorry for my confusing reference. It was aimed at determining whether you would recognize those terms from another forum of long ago......you did not, and I apologize for the confusion.

Sometimes sublime subtlety does more harm than intended.

Frank

D'Ellyn Dottir and John Brunner like this.
  9. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

You probably wouldn't count attending college as a 'job' but I used to pick up extra money tutoring classmates.

10. Dwight Ward

Registered

Psychotherapy !!! I tried that a few times back when I thought I was a cat. The doctors would eventually get tired of me scratching up their sofas and pass me off to animal welfare.

11. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

No problem, @Frank Sanoica. I kinda like the assumption of being in with some in group enough to get your references. :cool:

@Dwight Ward :D Better a cat turning a couch into a scratching post than a dog using the couch as a fire hydrant. :cool: But off the top of my head I can think of at least 5 therapeutic techniques I would have tried with such a client that more conventional clinicians wouldn't haven't used. LOL

Frank Sanoica and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

LOL!!!

"Until we got to the root of the issue, this should help with the hair balls."

[​IMG]

Dwight Ward and D'Ellyn Dottir like this.
  13. Dwight Ward

Registered

D'Ellyn ( if that is your real name ),

So you're saying a dog peeing on a sofa is worse than a cat scratching on the same sofa... hmm. I'm sensing much pet trauma in your childhood. I'd like you to watch this necklace as I swing it back and forth. And relax, just relax...

5 techniques. Only 5? Would one happen to be the Charles Manson Swastika Hunt? Been there.. done that.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  14. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

@John Brunner, castor oil, LOL!

@Dwight Ward, you are getting sleepy, your eyelids are heavy, your cat-self is purring in the sun, any stray dogs are lying by the fireplace, all is calm, that's right, you are feeling safe in your power, resting, you can feel yourself floating, releasing everything that creates suffering, that's right you're ready, releasing fears, releasing attraction to psychopaths, feeling an increasing desire for peace, allowing a deep sense of peaceful to flow through you, allowing yourself to just rest in that warm, wonderful sense of safety being human.

And Dwight, D'Ellyn is a pen name, not to be confused with a pet name. ;)

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Dwight Ward

Registered

... attraction to psychopaths. Yeah, of the female persuasion. There's no way you could have known that, though, unless you're physic.

I'll make a deal with ya. You stop being silly and I'll stop being silly. Wait, that doesn't sound like much fun.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.