20 Redneck Inventions

Discussion in 'Make Me Laugh' started by Joe Riley, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

Ha Ha This reminds me of the old Dodge I talked about in another thread. I had to open the hood and insert a wire into the battery cable clamp to start it and when I got where I was going, I had to open the hood again and take the wire out to stop the car engine. I loved that old car.

Ed Wilson, Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  3. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Only 20 inventions? A true redneck would have been rigging and repurposing items his entire life. And they would have a story to go with each invention or repurposed item.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Necessity was the Mother of these inventions....not sure about the Father!;)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Red Green is an old favorite of mine, Ike! Thanks for the video!

Ike Willis likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

On behalf of Rednecks everywhere, I represent that.

[​IMG]

8. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Jeff Foxworthy does a lot of stuff about "You might be a Redneck if" My roomie, says he is a redneck and proud of it. He made a snow measuring tape out of an old broom handle. Fortunately, he doesn't suggest his solutions around the house most of the time. I am grateful for that! Anyway, hey..most of
    the great inventions came from people's temporary solutions to solve a variety of problems. You have to give them points for creativity, even if the solutions are not too pretty!

Holly Saunders likes this.
  9. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

Can somebody define "redneck" in 3 or 4 words for this European?

I looked it up and got a range of meanings from "white-racist" / "derogatory term for white working class" / something I didn't understand about Walmart (?) / something else about the Democrats created rednecks ... and found a Redneck Archaeologist who has a YouTube channel dedicated to the term / social group ... however, I couldn't understand his accent some of the time .....

I though somebody with a red neck had simply forgotten to put sunblock between their face and their shoulders .....

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The stereotype for an unsophisticated country person, associated originally with the remote regions of the Appalachians. Think Jeff Foxworthy.

Holly Saunders and Julie Stewart like this.
  11. Julie Stewart

Registered

@Joe Riley - made me laugh (had to listen twice ...) - had never heard of Jeff Foxworthy so didn't know what to think! Thank you ...

12. Shirley Martin

Registered

@Julie Stewart ..... Sorry, this is going to take more than three or four words. ;)

The necks of people who work in the sun all day get permanently red from sun exposure. Hence, the term "Redneck" . In the rural south, the main occupation at one time was farming. Farmers are Rednecks. In olden days, most of them had little formal education. But they were far from dumb. They learned to use what they had on hand to fit their needs. Our creed is, "Wear it out, use it up, make it do." Give me a roll of Ducktape and a piece of haywire and I can fix most anything that needs fixing. :D Because they lived in isolated areas, rural people developed their own dialect. That is mostly gone now but we can still laugh at the Redneck jokes. Of course, the words Jeff Foxworthy uses are hyperbole.

So, there you have it. Rednecks are ingenious people with a marvelous sense of humor. :D

13. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

Y'all may call us'ns "Rednecks" and think that's derogatory. Well, when y'all lose the electric grid and cain't figure out how to get food, clothing, or shelter... we'uns will be livin' just fine. We'uns will find a way to survive. And, we'uns will probably not really notice much difference... other than the 'fancy folk' runnin' around like chickens with their heads cut off.

This past Spring I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. Was tough getting out of my recliner because it set too low. Found some 3" PVC pipe and duct tape in the basement. (We can't survive without duct tape similar to how y'all can't survive without Twitter or Facebook.) I cut a couple lengths of the pipe and, using duct tape, put along the bottom runners of my recliner. Raised the chair 3". Wife says it looks "dumb". I say it works and still have it there 'cause it is so much easier to get out of the chair. "Redneck"... Just "innovative"!!!

14. Julie Stewart

Registered

@Shirley Martin - great explanation, thank you.
    @Will Lawrence - So, you are just what Shirley said above? I like how you both referred to duct tape. I'm smiling at you profile photo ..... I have a motorbike too!

15. Shirley Martin

Registered