Your Take On Demographics And Diversity

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

No reply????

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh ...go ask all the agencies that handle placement of foreigners. There are hundreds of reasons why people move to one area. There is no one answer. Why does it even matter to you ? Your comparison of foods to races sorta of killed it for me. Your still trying to find the 'perfect place for you to live....move to a place where the weather apeases you and somewhere in the Bible Belt...hey your good to go:p

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think the problem is one of forced diversity. I won't go into the details because they can get long, but we were involved in a political struggle here in the early 2000s, when a group of people were in the process of implementing Local Agenda 21. As a part of this (and yes, it's documented, and not theoretical, although I suppose it could be termed a conspiracy), they used what is known as the Delphi Technique. The Wikipedia page makes it sound like nothing more than an effective way of facilitating consensus within a large company, organization or town. In reality, it's more of a way of fooling people into thinking that a preconceived plan was actually that of the group, since people are more likely to work to bring about something that they had a hand in determining. Enough about that, as if anyone is interested, I'll discuss that in another thread.

Using the Delphi Technique, a group of about eighty people are assembled. Those chosen are led to believe that they were chosen because they were representative of the community but, in reality, the participants are carefully chosen for their willingness to be manipulated. To lend credibility to it, they will include a few people who are not known for going along, knowing that they will be greatly marginalized during the process.

Bringing it back on topic, on conclusion of the "visioning process," which is what it was called, the group issued a statement as to what they envisioned the Katahdin Region of Maine to look like in 2020, and the majority of those who participated did indeed believe that they had had a hand in constructing the document, although every vision statement throughout the world is nearly identical.

Among, the things that the participants of the Katahdin area vision committee desired was to foster diversity within the community. Anyhow, you'd have to be familiar with the Katahdin area of Maine in order to appreciate that there wasn't more than a dozen of the eighty people on that committee who could have defined diversity, and at least half of them wouldn't have been for it if they knew what it meant.

Although southern Maine, with a growing Somali population and several colleges, has a reasonably diverse population. Even so, Portland has one of our most diverse populations, and the population of Portland is 85% white. Lewiston, where most of the Somali population lives, is nearly 87% white. Millinocket has one black person, and I think he's gay so I don't think he'll be reproducing. On the positive side, he hasn't rioted yet. We have a couple of Chinese restaurants, which accounts for the entirety of our Asian population. We had a Native American here, but she died of cancer a couple of years ago. According to the census, Millinocket is just short of 99% white, but I think they're overestimating our non-white population. Probably some people from the vision committee lying to the census people.

I don't think most people here hate black people, Native Americans, or anyone else that I can think of, although most of us probably wouldn't want to be a repository for new refugees. I think the main reason why Millinocket is nearly a hundred percent white is that it gets cold here in the winter and, call me racist if you must, but most black people ain't crazy about snow. There are exceptions, of course. Another reason why we're not a melting pot is that there's nothing for anyone to do for work here unless they're able to earn a living online.

When our involvement in the Vietnam War ended, the federal government placed more than a thousand Vietnamese refugees in Marinette, Wisconsin, building a new housing development for them. Ten years later, my brother told me that they had all moved. According to the 2000 census, Marinette had an Asian population of 0.35% so there might still be a family or two there yet, or perhaps Chinese restaurants account for that too.

I strongly believe that people should be able to move to whatever neighborhood they can afford to live in, if they want to, but I don't believe that government should be involved in social engineering, placing people where they are not wanted, and don't want to be. Not everyone wants to be a racial pioneer, and some people just aren't very good at it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Why in the world would what we do and don't like to eat have anything to do with "killing it" for you. Thing is, there are certain races that will only eat the food that comes from their country. That is just a fact.

As far as where we want to live/move to, it would be no where in the Bible Belt anymore. We like mountains, wildlife, freshwater lakes and nice friendly folks.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Do we criticize black people who prefer to live near other black people? Mexicans?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

A major reason about half of our population (Jacksonville, Fl) is Black is because there are so many jobs here for them. I read that Atlanta use to be the hub for black workers, but a lot of that has changed to here. Our Indian population is growing due to IT work available for them.

I totally agree that people should be able to live wherever they want, but why would whites want to Iive in South Central, Compton, Watts, Little Saigon, Chinatown or Little Tokyo where the population of whites would be darn near zero, if not zero?

Diversity is fine, for those that like it and require it. But, as already stated, for those that don't like "diversity" or much of it, sure don't make them bad people.

There are areas of farms and ranches in the U.S. that only whites have and run. That's just a fact. However, during my years in pro-rodeo, I got to meet some really great black rodeo athletes. To name two: Fred Whitfield (multiple times World Champion Calf Roper) and Charlie Sampson (World Champion Bull Rider who is in the Pro-Rodeo Hall Of Fame). It was a real honor for wife and I to meet Charlie years ago at the Hall of Fame in Colorado Springs, CO.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Exactly, so why should we criticize white people who want to live where the demographics/population is primarily white?

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't criticize anybody wanting to live where they want. I honestly don't care, but if you're going to keep bringing it up then I guess you have to expect the controversy.

Sometimes people don't have a choice and it could be for a number of different reasons. Jobs and finances and even health.

Weather also but that's not a biggie for me. My choice on where to live is that it be near enough to one of my kids at least and also be low crime.

Fresno is not low crime but where I live is. I live in a good zip code. I won't even drive to areas that are bad in Fresno, I have no reason to.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Ken posted some very good info here. I was only agreeing with his last post.

It's just that there are those that will criticize whites for living in an area that is primarily white. That's what I don't understand, when blacks, Asians, Hispanics/Mexicans, Indians and other races sometimes choose to live in a community that consists mainly, to only, their race.

There are also those that criticize others that don't like "diversity".

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

BTW, this Thread is not about where people should and shouldn't move to. This is not a relocation Thread.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I understand but diversity ends up being where you live also.

And my answer to diversity is that I don't care if a culture is diverse as long as it's law abiding. I don't see people as black, white, red or blue but as good or bad.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I just wanted to hear more from other members about these two words. It really seems these two words are words that a lot of people don't want to discuss. Like, do you prefer to live in an area that is really "diverse" and basically not mostly white or an area that is not that (or at all) "diverse" and mostly white. I feel that either way a person isn't a "racist" at all. There are many cities and towns that have one or the other.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

If you're white you'll be called a racist doesn't matter if you are or not, that's the way it is now. Watch the news.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Fortunately, I guess, many don't watch the news.

That's what I'm wondering about..............why would whites be called racist when there are other races that might want to live among their own race? It's not fair and shouldn't be tolerated. "What's good for the goose, is good for the gander".