Your Take On Demographics And Diversity

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

FIRST.......let's NOT turn this Thread into a "bashing" type one and it is not meant to stir up trouble for me or anyone else. I just have a curious mind. Not everyone in the U.S. likes "diversity" that much or at all. That does NOT make them bad people! We love Mexican food, but not Indian, Taiwanese and some others and that includes hot Bayou food. Anyway, there are certain cities/areas in the U.S. that is primarily, if not all, one race. What is your feelings about this?

Let's take a look at these areas:
    Southern California has:
    Little Saigon (Vietnamese immigrants/the boat people with their own shopping center and food stores)
    South Central, Compton and Watts (almost, if not all, blacks)
    East L.A. (Los Angeles) (primarily, if not all Hispanics/Mexican
    Santa Ana (in some parts, a high population of Mexican people)
    Chinatown in Los Angeles (primarily Chinese/Asian)
    San Francisco's Little Tokyo

Miami, Florida (black and Cuban populations, but also whites.
    Where we live, the population is almost half white/half black, but very few-to-no Hispanics or Mexicans. We have some great Mexican restaurants here, but only see whites and some blacks eating at them.

Parts of Colorado have high concentrations of Hispanic, but unlike Florida, low populations of black and Indian's. Parts of Colorado are primarily white with less than 1% black and other races.
    Wyoming is primarily white. Montana is primarily white and Native American. North and South Dakota the same. I remember reading somewhere that these and some other states are "racists" because the demographics and diversity isn't like other states, especially Southern states and East Coast states. Personally, I wouldn't call them "racist states" if blacks, and people from India don't want to live there.

My curiosity would be..........why is the diversity and demographics so different in one city/state than in others?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I would say that for Hispanics, the weather and being closer to the border play a part in why they're not in the states like Wyoming and Montana.

I have no problem with diversity, I go by high crime. As long as the area is safe I don't care if I'm the only white person there.

I also love the food of all cultures...can't think of any that I don't like. If I don't eat it it's because of the nutritional value more than anything else.

Also, I would never move to Wyoming or Montana at this stage in my life. I don't know anybody there at all and I live alone...why would I want to deal with winter and lifes problems by myself?

I'd have had no problem relocating there if my hubby had to go there because of work and that's why we usually moved when we did....but those days are over.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, there are lots of divorced and widowed adults everywhere, including our age and older. They simply make friends with people. Now as far as winter goes, you yourself have stated how thin you are, just like my step-mother. People who are thin, don't do real good in "snow belt" States. My step-mother basically just survived being raised in Michigan and being married in Indiana.
    But, living by yourself in an unknown area and state would be difficult.

Doubt very seriously if your kids would live in an all black or all Hispanic/Mexican or all Asian area. I definitely know we sure wouldn't.

Don't really know why the "all" is for certain areas of the U.S., but it exsists.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I'm sure there are single and widowed people living in those areas but probably because they were there to begin with.

I just have no reason to move there now...what for?

Also...I was just as thin when I lived in Chicago and the windchill was -60F.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I didn't mean that you should move there or anything like that.

I had just mentioned both states because the demographics are so different in those two states compares to some other states. And, "diversity" isn't nearly as important to people that live there as it is to people who live in other states.

There are people that go on the relocation forum I'm a part of and say they require "diversity" in any area they are thinking about moving to. The demographics have to be a certain way as well.

One person, on that relocation forum I'm on said "we would never live in Parker, Colorado because it's too White."

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's not what I look at but everyone is different. My niece just bought a home in Parker but not because it's all white.

They both work there.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, this relocation forum I'm with, many will ask about the demographics of areas they are interested in moving to. Some get answers, while others get fairly criticized for asking.

Some who are black, Asian or from India want want to know the percentage of their race that is there. They ask if there are any black barber shops, Asian or Indian restaurants and grocery stores. What types of entertainment are available for different races.

For some, it can be quite shocking what is asked. Some folks on that relocation forum have gone as far as to call some "racist" due to the questions being asked.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Even being white I would hope that an area had many ethnic restaurants. I'd be bored with the same old American type food.

People need to quit asking questions....unless they visit the area they'll never get a true picture anyway.

You can always find demographics and all statistics online for an area....asking opinions for people you don't know from Adam won't get you far in my opinion.

Moving is expensive...do your research the right way. No problem with getting a few replies on a forum but don't base your decision on moving somewhere on that.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We could never live in an area that doesn't have Mexican restaurants. We have a special one here that we go to about every-other week. There's another Mexican restaurant we go each year for Cinco de Mayo celebration. They put on one heck of a show.
    Don't like Japanese food and most Chinese food is full of sugar, that we can't have. So, we aren't that diverse in food at all.

A lot of people have to take the advice they get from a forum, concerning moving. Many don't have the money, or even time, to travel to where their interest is for moving to.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm just saying you'll get more accurate info on the particular city's website than a forum that has biased views.

If you move because some yahoo said it was a great place, then you've wasted a lot of money for nothing.

One person's dream is another's person's nightmare.

If I was to move at my age, I would check everything out as best as could. You have to plan for things that might go wrong also unless you have the finances to move again.

As an example and I'm not saying this would happen but what if after you move to a smaller town in Wyoming or Montana and you have a heart attack or even worse you die...would your wife still be happy living there?

Or any other scenario...also, just because a place you lived in many years ago was great, doesn't mean it is now.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

You're right! This is why we are taking a week of wife's vacation next year and going to Loveland, CO. We've already had many people on the Loveland forum, that I done a Thread on, tell us we we like it either there or in Cheyenne, Wyoming, which is a short drive up I-25 from Loveland. Most things are just better for us there than here. But, not until after we visit, will really know if that will be our next and last home.

All both of us really know is that we really want out of Jacksonville and Florida. We've just had enough of the crime, heat and humidity here. We can't, and don't want to adjust.

Since we left Parker, where we had a house (buying), Parker's population has really grown. Actually, we could see it before we sold the house and moved. Would never/ever live in Denver or any part of that metro area. Heavens NO!!

BTW, wondering if we are going to be the only ones on this Thread?

Hedi Mitchell and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

It's good that you're going to check it out, that's the best way to see for yourselves.

Don't know about anybody else...maybe it's a quiet day on the forum. I'm kind of drained today. :(

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, like from that relocation forum, some people don't want to discuss demographics and diversity of areas.

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I totally agree with @Chrissy Cross on this one. Bottom line...if your going to move anywhere...of course you should check out everything. Check the laws in the state also...vast differences in each state...estate laws...marriage and divorce laws...even deaths can be handled differently.
    I have heard from many who moved from one state to another...and were very unhappy when the unexpected things poped up.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, BUT, what do you think about this Thread title? How do you feel about one race being the majority, like the areas I mentioned in my opening statement.

This Thread really isn't about relocation as much as it is about demographics and diversity in certain areas.