Your Relationship With Your Doctor

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Amy Read, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Amy Read

Amy Read Veteran Member
    Registered

Ever since I was still younger my family had a good relationship already with our family doctor. We treated each other as family members. We had no communication gap and we had gained trust and respect for each other for the longest period of time.

And now at this point of age in my life where I am more conscious about my health the more I become too open to our doctor just in case I am feeling something wrong about my health. And I am always comfortable to make an appointment for a medical check up to remove those fears and worries that is bothering me. Luckily as always it is not a medical condition to worry about and it is just part of growing old.

How about you? How is your relationship with your doctor?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

My doctor is so much younger than I am and she is very competent. I did choose the right doctor though for she gave me a medicine I needed for my cold that was spot on! I go early and have a bit of time to speak with her to ask any questions I might have. I try to have communication with my doctors so I can get all my questions answered or bring up something that's bothering me. I like all my doctors.

Amy Read and Terry Page like this.
  3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

My trusted family doc retired long ago, my next one retired some years back. Two other docs nearly killed me, the next one was short term, and the one I now have and like, my insurance won't pay. I'm getting a bit gun shy about docs. I have a few horror stories about dentists too.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I love my dentists, Ike! :)

Amy Read, Ike Willis and Terry Page like this.
  5. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I would be very surprised if you didn't Chrissy ;) How did you manage before you created your own :rolleyes:

6. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Dentist... oh, don't get me started on THAT, @Ike Willis ! Seriously, the last one botched me up so badly about 18 months ago that I seriously doubt I'll ever go back. I needed an extraction. I knew it would hurt... as the song says, "I'm no stranger to the pain".... but this was bizarre. He kept saying "Oh, that's not pain, that's just pressure, right?" And I kept trying to talk with his fist practically in my mouth, "NO! I know extraction pressure, this is pain!" But he didn't listen.

I'm not a baby and I know the difference... that was pure pain. I was practically passed out, and dizzy when it was over... there was pain in that spot for a full year. :(

So sorry to hear about your insurance mess... don't blame ya for being gun shy with doctors. Hope you can soon straighten that out!

7. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Good doctors that I've had in the past have all retired or died. I deal with Medicare and Advantage Plans now.
    I don't like the choices and I really don't trust them to help me. And that's scary.. It seems they are more interested in helping the drug companies than their patients. If I ask them about something, they always want to go in a different direction. ..their agenda always!
    If I have a pain .. they say I need drugs for depression. No I don't!
    If blood pressure goes up a little .. let's take drugs for that. No! ... I'll exercise more, shed a few pounds instead.
    They admit that works too.:)

I did have a stomach ulcer, (NSAIDs from aspirin) but instead of treatment for that at the time, they said I needed a colonoscopy .... well never hurts to be checked out I guess, but that just postponed the ulcer problem until another doctor found it months later.
    So bottom line, my experience and relationships with doctors is BAD. :(

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I get along fine with my VA doctor, but am leaving the VA Medical next month. I'm not going to pay a monthly premium for Medicare and the Supplement, plus a Rx Plan and continue using the VA. Currently, I don't live close to a VA Hospital and it can be hard to get an appt. with my VA doctor. I had scheduled visits each year for labs and talking to my doctor about the results of those labs, but for anything else it can be hard to see her. I don't have a "Service-Connected" medical problem, so the VA isn't as fast concerning my health as it is for those "Service-Connected" Vets.

Another thing, the few prescriptions that I do get, will be quite a bit cheaper with the Rx Plan that I pay a monthly premium for, than the VA's is.

Amy Read likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Not that well, my kids had plenty of work to do on my mouth.

Terry Page and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  10. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

My youngest daughter is in the dental field also. Twenty two years now.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Sadly, I've heard so much of this, @Bonnie Thomas ... cater to the drug companies, push the drugs. I've always hated that so much and I know many (most?) do it. One time my doctor told me that he's not one to prescribe a pill for everything... but then even that switched around and I refuse to cooperate if it's not necessary.

PLUS, have you ever read the disclaimers and warnings for some of those drugs?! I know they have to list the possibilities, but I really don't want to deal with the really *bad* things that taking medication for something minor can cause. It's ridiculous!

Amy Read and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My daughter has been a dentist for 18 yrs and my son about 13. They also married dentists....overkill in my family just like too many smoke alarms in my house.

One should have married a plastic surgeon, the other something else I could use...a vet or a plumber. :)

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  13. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Because here in the UK the NHS is basically a completely free service doctors are less likely to over prescribe, you will more likely be refused the latest expensive drugs because of the cost to the NHS.
    I don't have much to do with my doctors, but because it's a group practice of some 15 doctors you can choose who to see.
    I have a favourite male one who is very caring and gives you most tests you ask for.
    I also have a female favourite who will prescribe more or less any drug I want to try within reason. I hasten to add I am only talking about blood pressure and sleeping pills here, as I take as few prescription drugs as possible. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    Amy Read and Chrissy Cross like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I got off track talking about dentists but I love the Dr. I have now. She is about my age and very caring and understanding. Also the first one to do a full range of taking vitals. Others have just listened to heart. I had one that in the whole time she was there never even listened to my heart.

She also knows that I don't have insurance til April and works with me on any tests.

Amy Read and Terry Page like this.
  15. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

Funny ... while watching the ads on TV, how they tell all the deadly consequences of these drugs, while showing you happy smiling people, doing fun stuff. They think we are all morons, to put it mildly! :D