Your Relationship With Your Doctor?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Peter Renfro, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My PCP is African America, my dermatologist is a woman, my ENT is Jewish, the doctor that did my deviated septum was Chinese (now retired), my sleep doc is a white, older, semi-retired man, my urologist is German, and some of my others such as eye doc, heart doc (actually PA) and hernia doc are of unknown cultures. But as far as I can tell, none of them are Indian.

A lot of doctors to keep me so I can still kick, but so far I'm doing o.k., except for a few medical quirks.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh yes, I forgot my dentist. He is also semi-retired, and only takes patients one at a time. A very nice man, and also takes up the offering at my church. In fact, I suggested that the personal committee use him for that, since he is so good at using plates. (that's not a joke, its true)

3. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry, I don't get the value in an ethnic/racial roll call of the physicians I may consult, on occasion.

What I concern myself with is the competence of those I may see, not their ethnic/racial background.

Yvonne Smith and Lois Winters like this.
  4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My primary care doctor is Indian(India) which makes the second one I've had. He took over my first doctor's patients after he retired. I like them both.

5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

For me---Ethnic & Racial backround of all professionals I deal with is just a point of interest, nothing else.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Why the ethnic/racial roll call? Because there are those that desire a certain ethnic/racial person as a physician. Due to accents, certain people are very hard to understand when they talk. Another way to look at it, there are blacks that will desire a black doctor over any other race. Their choice. People from India could desire an Indian PCP over any other race. They are just more comfortable with a PCP of their own ethnic/racial group.

My last VA doctor was originally from Iran. She was very nice and I complimented her on how good of English she spoke. The VA doctor now is from South America and, again, very nice.

I don't know why there are those that don't understand that certain races want their race for different services.

7. Trevalius Guyus

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh:

"She was very nice and I complimented her on how good of English she spoke."

Uh, what? Did she compliment the English language, by speaking good of it? I'm not understanding what you wrote.

Could it be, Cody, that you need to bone up on proper English grammar?

Emily Brown likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is exactly how I think about this, as well. The only time it has ever been an issue was when it was hard fro me to understand what the person was saying because of their inflection when they spoke, and that is certainly no a big problem, as long as you end up understanding each other.
    I have had doctors of several different ethnicity, and as long as they were doing their job properly, I was perfectly happy with that.

As far as what @Cody Fousnaugh is saying, I suppose that it is probably correct that it is important to some people, as to what race their doctor is, but it does not seem to me to be a very intelligent way at all to choose a doctor.

Trevalius Guyus and Lois Winters like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The one I had a few years ago, I knew. Not as a close friend, but we'd sit at the same table if we were both in a restaurant at the same time. He was a nice guy but he wasn't a very good doctor. After he missed some pretty important stuff with my wife, we switched doctors. The one I am seeing now is simply the one assigned to the clinic that we use. She's from the Dominican Republic, but I've only seen her once, just as this Chinese virus nonsense was beginning. The one I had before her, we knew very well, since she is a good friend of my wife's. However, she left the clinic we use to do a stint on an Indian reservation, and now she's waiting for an assignment on another Indian reservation. In between, she still lives here in town.

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Emily Brown

Emily Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

Huh? You are addressing a specific ethnic. Did they give you turmeric or ginger in the prescriptions?
    I hope you realize this kind of question can be sensitive for some people. Plus the comments that you cannot anticipate, that your question may unfairly lead to nonsensical and irrational judgment. Thanks. Have a good day! :)

11. Emily Brown

Emily Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

Who is going to be pedantic? :D

12. Trevalius Guyus

Registered

Apparently Cody, so I just went with it. :cool:

Emily Brown likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I complimented my last VA doctor on her English, because she spoke it well enough for me to understand. I'll guarantee that most-to-all of you have called Customer Service for something and got upset because you couldn't understand what the person was saying. You kept saying "say again, please" and then ended up hanging up. IOW, the person had a heavy accent from India or somewhere else. It happens!

There are those that don't like any kind of ethnic food. Does that mean they should eat it anyway, because if they don't, they are racist?

Actually, I've checked into a motel that was run by folks from India and could barely understand what they were saying. I could smell curry cooking, of which wife and I don't like that smell at all.

Like it or not, there are folks that want (or request) a doctor, dentist or some other health professional that is their same ethnic/race group.

There is a relocation forum that I know where there are AA (African-Americans), Asians and Indians (India), that are relocating and will ask if there is a certain part of the city where their race lives. They feel more comfortable and safe living in the same area as the race they are.

In my wife's last doctor's office, in Florida, all three of the doctors were white. For the number of years I went with her to her doctor, all I seen in the waiting area was white folks.

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I loved my first heart doctor after my first major illness in .2017. He recommended the one I have now. He is..um ok.
    Good lung doctor
    Primary doctor we have had way too long..a DO.but up until my health declined never saw him much.
    Need to find hubby a better doctor now that he has insurance.
    My recent doctor the rheumatologist and he is internal doctor..is great!
    45 mintues he spent with me first time.
    25 mintues second time.
    He is the only one who had a clue as to what was wrong with me. He tested me blood work wise for all the major illness..lupus..ect.
    I find him through, personable, and informative and pays attention.:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I love my primary doctor, though she is actually a PA she's the best "doctor" I have ever had. I only see her once a year for the annual checkup/blood work thing, but we always get into interesting discussions. She and her husband also own a motorhome so there's usually some travel talk. She is extremely responsive to her patients and will respond to any email I send, usually within 2 hours.

She does not require the ridiculous "follow up visit" to get test results; she calls if there is anything of concern and the test results are available via my patient portal online.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.